Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 288

Thread: Spencer Steer

  1. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    85

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Steer should be in the lineup everyday. To me his future is most likely in RF/DH/Super Utility. One of those roles.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    34,905

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Steer is a middle of the order bat who needs to be in the line-up every day. I stick him at 1B, where he looks like the best defender we've had there in my lifetime and let him play. If moving him around means he's only in the line-up 4 or 5 days per week, I say no. If he could play RF, that would be great, but I'm not as convinced. I thought he looked shaky at 3B and not sure I agree that he'd be a solid defender where-ever you put him.

    I love the guy as a 1B.
    Mth, I’d just note that physically Steer is wrong for first base.

    He’s 5’11” and he throws right handed.

    I’m not challenging your view, sometimes an all around infielder can be very good at first. Many first baseman are tall guys without much defensive ability.

    But I’m not sure if Reds will view him as the permanent man at the position. CES is a bit taller, but not really very different, RH thrower.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-02-2023 at 02:21 PM.

  4. Likes:

    GAC (06-03-2023)

  5. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,456

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    Steer should be in the lineup everyday. To me his future is most likely in RF/DH/Super Utility. One of those roles.
    Except for tonight, because it's Newman SZN
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

  6. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,350

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    Steer should be in the lineup everyday. To me his future is most likely in RF/DH/Super Utility. One of those roles.
    Steer is not a utility player . He is proving he deserves to be in the lineup everyday. He has very good plate discipline. Yeah he is not tall but he can scoop it at 1st and hasn't hurt the defense at all

  7. Likes:

    GAC (06-03-2023),mth123 (06-02-2023),Old school 1983 (06-02-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

  8. #155
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,177

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Over the course of 34 games, which is too small of a sample for the stats (where some say he's REALLY bad), he went from poor to the best defensive 1B in our lifetime?
    I think defensive stats are pretty meaningless unless you are looking over huge samples. Like 2 or 3 seasons sized samples.

    Watching him, he moves to the ball well, and I really like how he sets up to take the throw. He doesn't stretch too soon (like Joey Votto always does) and is in a position to adjust to the angle of the throw instead of being committed and hung out to dry when the throw isn't perfect. To me, that is the primary job of the 1B. Turning somewhat off target throws into outs at 1B anyway and those defensive stats don't really capture that very well. He's still learning when to go for the ball and when to let somebody else have it so he can cover the bag and that is what I see as his biggest weakness at this point. Given his lack of experience over there, I fully expect that to be a problem for a while, but will be something he learns.

    1B is a more important position than models like the defensive spectrum or WAR give it credit for. Other than the pitcher and the catcher, the 1B touches the ball the most and when he does its usually the difference between safe and out. It might be a place for guys with limited mobility, so people think you can just put anyone there, but its not a place for poor defenders.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  9. #156
    Member pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Mth, Id just note that physically Steer is wrong for first base.

    Hes 511 and he throws right handed.

    Im not challenging your view, sometimes an all around infielder can be very good at first. Many first baseman are tall guys without much defensive ability.

    But Im not sure if Reds will view him as the permanent man at the position. CES is a bit taller, but not really very different, RH thrower.
    Jeff Bagwell say hi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

  10. Likes:

    GAC (06-03-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

  11. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,456

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think defensive stats are pretty meaningless unless you are looking over huge samples. Like 2 or 3 seasons sized samples.

    Watching him, he moves to the ball well, and I really like how he sets up to take the throw. He doesn't stretch too soon (like Joey Votto always does) and is in a position to adjust to the angle of the throw instead of being committed and hung out to dry when the throw isn't perfect. To me, that is the primary job of the 1B. Turning somewhat off target throws into outs at 1B anyway and those defensive stats don't really capture that very well. He's still learning when to go for the ball and when to let somebody else have it so he can cover the bag and that is what I see as his biggest weakness at this point. Given his lack of experience over there, I fully expect that to be a problem for a while, but will be something he learns.

    1B is a more important position than models like the defensive spectrum or WAR give it credit for. Other than the pitcher and the catcher, the 1B touches the ball the most and when he does its usually the difference between safe and out. It might be a place for guys with limited mobility, so people think you can just put anyone there, but its not a place for poor defenders.
    I'm putting stats aside and clarifying that you are saying you have sufficient eye-ball evidence to say Steer was a poor 1B to start the year and over the course of the 34 games (31 starts) he has played there, you've seen enough to say he's the best defensive 1B the Reds have had in your lifetime?
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

  12. #158
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    3,130

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm putting stats aside and clarifying that you are saying you have sufficient eye-ball evidence to say Steer was a poor 1B to start the year and over the course of the 34 games (31 starts) he has played there, you've seen enough to say he's the best defensive 1B the Reds have had in your lifetime?
    I will not tolerate Scott Hatteberg being erased from history like that.


    Note: I was six when Hatteberg played for the Reds but I've seen Moneyball 4,015 times.

  13. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    85

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Steer is not a utility player . He is proving he deserves to be in the lineup everyday. He has very good plate discipline. Yeah he is not tall but he can scoop it at 1st and hasn't hurt the defense at all

    Right now on this roster he's not but in the coming years he may need to be that utility player. If thinking best case scenario for each player's performance.

    Friedal
    India
    LED
    CES
    Marte
    McLain
    Steer
    Stephenson

    Those guys seem to be the future so out of Marte, Steer, CES. One of them has to either learn to play RF or be happy being a DH.

  14. #160
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,177

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm putting stats aside and clarifying that you are saying you have sufficient eye-ball evidence to say Steer was a poor 1B to start the year and over the course of the 34 games (31 starts) he has played there, you've seen enough to say he's the best defensive 1B the Reds have had in your lifetime?
    If you wantto know in detail, from what I've seen, he's more mobile than Lee May or Tony Perez ever was. Maybe not as mobile as Driessen. I don't really have much memory of Hal Morris as a defender. I never really noticed him, so I don't know if he was good or bad, but I'd probably notice bad. Sean Casey was a lot like May and Perez, maybe a little better with errant throws. Todd Benzinger is the guy who seems most like Steer defensively and he was a really good IB. He was a defensive replacement for Morris a lot, so that is probably why I think of Morris as a lesser defender. That gray period where Pete Rose and Terry Francona were playing 1B is simply that. I think Francona was pretty good over there. Hatteberg was pretty good. Votto has steadily improved. He was awful at first. He's good vacuuming up ground balls and the models like that, but he still stretches toward the defender instead of toward the ball and has no way to adjust if the throw is off-line.

    So yes, he reminds me of Benzinger who I think is about the best they've had defensively. Driessen might have been better. Francona was a part-timer. I remember him as good, but Rose played a lot during his time here, so I don't have a clear picture.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  15. #161
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,456

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If you wantto know in detail, from what I've seen, he's more mobile than Lee May or Tony Perez ever was. Maybe not as mobile as Driessen. I don't really have much memory of Hal Morris as a defender. I never really noticed him, so I don't know if he was good or bad, but I'd probably notice bad. Sean Casey was a lot like May and Perez, maybe a little better with errant throws. Todd Benzinger is the guy who seems most like Steer defensively and he was a really good IB. He was a defensive replacement for Morris a lot, so that is probably why I think of Morris as a lesser defender. That gray period where Pete Rose and Terry Francona were playing 1B is simply that. I think Francona was pretty good over there. Hatteberg was pretty good. Votto has steadily improved. He was awful at first. He's good vacuuming up ground balls and the models like that, but he still stretches toward the defender instead of toward the ball and has no way to adjust if the throw is off-line.

    So yes, he reminds me of Benzinger who I think is about the best they've had defensively. Driessen might have been better. Francona was a part-timer. I remember him as good, but Rose played a lot during his time here, so I don't have a clear picture.
    Just reading between the lines here, it seems like you think Steer has the TRAITS to be the best defensive 1B the Reds have had but that he's not there
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

  16. Likes:

    mth123 (06-02-2023)

  17. #162
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31,177

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Just reading between the lines here, it seems like you think Steer has the TRAITS to be the best defensive 1B the Reds have had but that he's not there
    That's a fair take. I said "looks like," not "is." I probably wasn't clear.

    Still, he seems like he has the bat for 1B and "looks like" he could be as good as anyone I've seen play there for the Reds defensively. I don't see a reason to move him. If his bat goes in the tank as the league figures him out, then maybe he becomes a supersub. I see no reason to do that now with the DH spot available to give PAs to another 1B/DH type.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  18. #163
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    34,905

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Jeff Bagwell say “hi”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn’t say height and LH throwing were essential, but if Bagwell is the best example it makes my point (retired 18 years ago).

  19. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    3,130

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Throwing right handed doesn't seem to be an issue.

    Of the top ten 1B in baseball using fWAR 7 of them throw right handed.

    Freddie Freeman Throws right
    Yandy Diaz Throws right
    Paul Goldschmidt Throws right
    Anthony Rizzo Throws left
    Pete Alonso throws right
    Matt Olson throws right
    Ryan Noda throws left
    LaMonte Wade Jr throws left
    Nathaniel Lowe throws right
    Christian Walker throws right

  20. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (06-02-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

  21. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,350

    Re: Spencer Steer

    Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    Right now on this roster he's not but in the coming years he may need to be that utility player. If thinking best case scenario for each player's performance.

    Friedal
    India
    LED
    CES
    Marte
    McLain
    Steer
    Stephenson

    Those guys seem to be the future so out of Marte, Steer, CES. One of them has to either learn to play RF or be happy being a DH.
    So let's sat Steer wins ROY, you going to reward him to be a utility guy? I don't think so


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator