Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Spencer Steer

Re: Spencer Steer

Jeremy Rauch
    @FOX19Jeremy

"I hate striking out more than anything."

If you love Spencer Steer's approach at the plate, you will love his explanation on battling with two strikes.

watch:
    https://twitter.com/FOX19Jeremy/stat...DR6eHUnNotAAAA

2. Likes:

icehole3 (04-17-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Aristocratic Hoosier

Steer is the 2020s version of Todd Frazier. He's going to eventually hit 30 dingers, play adequately on either side of the infield and terrible at SS or 2B. He may also be the 2020s version of Ryan Braun and take those 30 dingers out to left field.
    For now, he's going to hit .224 and have a 2-homer day here and there.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

OnBaseMachine
    @RedsFan_Brandon

Spencer Steer’s early season batted ball data in contrast to last season’s late season call up:

2022:

84.7 mph average EV
    104.4 max EV
    5.8 Barrel%
    25.0 O-Swing%

2023:

89.7 mph average EV
    110.6 max EV
    9.1 Barrel%
    17.1 O-Swing%

13.0 BB% and 15.2 K% ��

Steer ������#Reds
    1:06pm · 14 Apr 2023
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-14-2023),757690 (04-14-2023),BoxingRed (04-14-2023),Coopdaddy67 (04-14-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

BTW, here's a reminder that Spencer Steer did not exceed rookie limits last season. (He was, I believe, 7 PAs short). So he's eligible for ROY this year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

757690 (04-14-2023),Old school 1983 (04-14-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023)

It’s always kind of weird me how so many are willing to move on from a productive major league player because there is a shiny object in the minor leagues. I remember all the “we need to move Suarez to the outfield because he is blocking future megastar Nick Senzel”

Steer can hit. The guy has hit at every level of the minors and so far this year he has looked really good. Additionally with the changes with infield shifts and alignments, guys that put the bat on the ball are going to be more productive than the swing really hard and hope you hit ball types that have become entirely too prevalent in the modern game. If Marte or Collier become better players and Steer is the odd man out so be it. But as someone who has watched this farm system nearly nothing in the past decade in regard to bats I am in no hurry to get rid of Steer

10. Likes:

0-2 Count (04-15-2023),Old school 1983 (04-14-2023),pedro (04-14-2023),Revering4Blue (04-14-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023),WrongVerb (04-14-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    It’s always kind of weird me how so many are willing to move on from a productive major league player because there is a shiny object in the minor leagues. I remember all the “we need to move Suarez to the outfield because he is blocking future megastar Nick Senzel”

Steer can hit. The guy has hit at every level of the minors and so far this year he has looked really good. Additionally with the changes with infield shifts and alignments, guys that put the bat on the ball are going to be more productive than the swing really hard and hope you hit ball types that have become entirely too prevalent in the modern game. If Marte or Collier become better players and Steer is the odd man out so be it. But as someone who has watched this farm system nearly nothing in the past decade in regard to bats I am in no hurry to get rid of Steer
    Um, who has suggested getting rid of Steer?
    Considering the organizational makeup of Reds prospects, you find room for Steer's bat.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

12. Likes:

mth123 (04-14-2023)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I’ve been exceptionally impressed with Steer. Bright spot of the season for me; only behind India’s resurgence.

I see some criticism or, at least, lament over Steer’s defense. I grant he’s not Brooks Robinson, but I think he’s acquitted himself well over there.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

14. Likes:

icehole3 (04-17-2023),Old school 1983 (04-15-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Steer looks rock solid so far. He may have had some rookie jitters last year, but he looks like a 5 year veteran this year. I like that we have some guys giving professional ab's that aren't striking out a ton.
    It's been a rarity around here for a long time. Love to see batters work a pitcher. Steer's good at it. He would be a .320+ hitter with robot umps.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    It's been a rarity around here for a long time. Love to see batters work a pitcher. Steer's good at it. He would be a .320+ hitter with robot umps.
    Oddly when Senzel came up, he gave the impression that he was going to be pretty good at mastering the strike zone.
    I will always wonder -- if he had even remotely played enough ball to improve on that -- what we'd have with him.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-15-2023)

Jamie Ramsey
    @Jamieblog

Spencer Steer has 23 total bases through the Reds' first 12 games of the season. He's the first third baseman since Geno (27TB) in 2017 to have that many at this point in the season.

19. Likes:

icehole3 (04-17-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Oddly when Senzel came up, he gave the impression that he was going to be pretty good at mastering the strike zone.
    I will always wonder -- if he had even remotely played enough ball to improve on that -- what we'd have with him.
    I stopped thinking bc about Senzel at least a year ago. You should try it, saves mental energy. If he turns into anything, great, but I’d rather see his at-bats go to Stuart Fairchild tbh.

21. Likes:

malcontent (04-14-2023),mth123 (04-14-2023),Old school 1983 (04-15-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I stopped thinking bc about Senzel at least a year ago. You should try it, saves mental energy. If he turns into anything, great, but I’d rather see his at-bats go to Stuart Fairchild tbh.
    I am not truly desperate to conserve mental energy, but I don't disagree that Fairchild is a better look now than I ever thought he would be.

23. Likes:

Mitri (04-14-2023)

Steer = Ballplayer

I hope he's a Redleg for the next 10 years.

25. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-15-2023),Old school 1983 (04-15-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Spencer Steer said his quad flared up a bit, but X Rays showed he’s good.

Steer: “I don’t think it’s too bad. I made it look worse than it was. It locked up on me and was really painful at the time. It already feels better.”

“Wake up tomorrow, see how it feels and go from there.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Spencer Steer said his quad flared up a bit, but X Rays showed he’s good.

Steer: “I don’t think it’s too bad. I made it look worse than it was. It locked up on me and was really painful at the time. It already feels better.”

“Wake up tomorrow, see how it feels and go from there.”

April 16: Spencer Steer leaves game

After making a diving stop on J.T. Realmuto’s sharp grounder near the line in the top of the ninth, Steer exited Sunday’s 14-3 loss. After the game, manager David Bell said Steer was dealing with a sore right knee that was actually injured during the previous inning. Although Steer appeared to be walking OK postgame, manager David Bell expected to know more about the extent of the injury on Monday.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-i...d-roster-moves

So which is it? lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?