Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Game Thread for Sunday, April 16, 2023

Minor League Game Thread for Sunday, April 16, 2023

LOUISVILLE - The proud owners of a one-game winning streak, Louisville will take on Toledo this afternoon. The game is presently suspended in the bottom of the third. Rain, rain go away. There is no score.

Lucas Sims worked the first inning, tossing a shutout stanza. This is his second appearance in two days. Look for Sims to be up with the big club shortly.
    Ben Lively took over and tossed a scoreless inning.

Matt McLain and Henry Ramos have each singled.

Will Benson is 0 for 1, and 0 for Louisville. Between the Bats and the Reds, Benson is 1 for 29.

UPDATE: Game has been cancelled. The Bats winning streak lives on for a couple more days.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-16-2023 at 04:01 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Game Thread for Sunday, April 16, 2023

CHATTANOOGA - The Lookouts are shutting down Mississipi through six innings. They lead 2-0.

Joe Boyle tossed the first four innings, allowing 3 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 9.
    Andy Fisher has added two more scoreless innings, running his total to 5.2 innings without giving up a run to start the season. He has also yet to give up a hit, while striking out 9.

Ivan Johnson has walked, doubled, stolen a base and score both Chattanooga runs.

DAYTON - Dayton's game was delayed at the start, and the Dragons probably wished it had never started at all. They are on the short end of a 5-0 score with the game in the 9th inning.

Jayvien Sandridge started and allowed a run to Great Lakes on zero hits in 2 innings.
    Nathan Roxby and Jose Acuna came on board next, and each yielded a pair of tallies.
    Myles Gayman is trying to hold down the Loons in the 9th.

Blake Dunn has singled and doubled.
    Austin Hendrick has singled twice.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    DAYTON - Dayton's game was delayed at the start, and the Dragons probably wished it had never started at all. They are on the short end of a 5-0 score with the game in the 9th inning.

Jayvien Sandridge started and allowed a run to Great Lakes on zero hits in 2 innings.
    Nathan Roxby and Jose Acuna came on board next, and each yielded a pair of tallies.
    Myles Gayman is trying to hold down the Loons in the 9th.

Blake Dunn has singled and doubled.
    Austin Hendrick has singled twice.
    Most peculiar triple play in the first with a whole infield full of runners tootblanning themselves into a circle.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    Most peculiar triple play in the first with a whole infield full of runners tootblanning themselves into a circle.
    As I understand the explanation....with the bases loaded and no outs, an infield fly was called. With the wind swirling, the popup wasn't caught. Runners can advance at their own risk, but must tag up first even if the ball is not caught. The rationale is that it was called a fly out and the normal rules apply for tagging up on a fly ball. The runners didn't seem to know that and were a few feet off their bags when the ball fell. In the confusion the Dragons got a triple play by getting the batter (infield fly) and the runners on first and second. A run was awarded to the Loons in the next inning because the runner on third crossed home plate before the triple play was completed. The Dragons failed to contest the base left too soon at third. Had they done so, the run would not have counted, although it might have been the fourth out. Crazy play.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    As I understand the explanation....with the bases loaded and no outs, an infield fly was called. With the wind swirling, the popup wasn't caught. Runners can advance at their own risk, but must tag up first even if the ball is not caught. The rationale is that it was called a fly out and the normal rules apply for tagging up on a fly ball. The runners didn't seem to know that and were a few feet off their bags when the ball fell. In the confusion the Dragons got a triple play by getting the batter (infield fly) and the runners on first and second. A run was awarded to the Loons in the next inning because the runner on third crossed home plate before the triple play was completed. The Dragons failed to contest the base left too soon at third. Had they done so, the run would not have counted, although it might have been the fourth out. Crazy play.
    The so-called 4th out came into play last year on a game involving the Pirates who neglected to appeal a guy leaving base on a line drive. Not the same thing exactly, since it was not a triple play.

As Nichols explained it in real time, Mat Nelson just went around tagging guys until the third out was recorded and the team ran off the field. It's hard to believe, but infield fly balls are just rarely botched that way.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Clutch dinger Saturday for Mat Nelson

https://twitter.com/RedsOnTheRise/st...80047455543304

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Clutch dinger Saturday for Mat Nelson

https://twitter.com/RedsOnTheRise/st...80047455543304
    Intrigued by if he can keep this up and especially if he can in AA. Didn’t have a good hitting year in A+ last year but it wasn’t a trainwreck, catchers often develop at a different pace so it doesn’t bother me that he’s 24.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

corkedbat (04-18-2023),mth123 (04-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    The so-called 4th out came into play last year on a game involving the Pirates who neglected to appeal a guy leaving base on a line drive. Not the same thing exactly, since it was not a triple play.

As Nichols explained it in real time, Mat Nelson just went around tagging guys until the third out was recorded and the team ran off the field. It's hard to believe, but infield fly balls are just rarely botched that way.
    It wasn't clear to me how the third out was recorded. I didn't see a throw to first on the replay. Perhaps there were two men on second and the lead runner was off the bag and tagged, then the second runner was tagged and called out because he had left too early.

Doug has called attention to Blake Dunn. He has been under RZ's prospect radar but he is starting to show some solid potential. He has speed, some power, plate discipline, and excellent defense. He reminds me of an even higher octane version of TJ Friedl.

Doug has called attention to Blake Dunn. He has been under RZ's prospect radar but he is starting to show some solid potential. He has speed, some power, plate discipline, and excellent defense. He reminds me of an even higher octane version of TJ Friedl.
    I noticed Dunn as well. He's 24. He needs to get a move on. Hopefully spends half the year in AA and ready fro AAA/Majors next year. On my sleepers list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Aristocratic Hoosier

It wasn't clear to me how the third out was recorded. I didn't see a throw to first on the replay. Perhaps there were two men on second and the lead runner was off the bag and tagged, then the second runner was tagged and called out because he had left too early.
    First baseman kept waving for somebody to throw him the ball but evidently the grim reaper was doing what was necessary. I did not see a ball thrown to Nelson, but by then the guy on third had already left the immediate field of play. There isn't replay to prove this. All I know was what Nichols said on the broadcast. The Loons looked like somebody had stolen their lunch.

Turn Off Ads?