Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 4-23-23 Reds @ Pirates 1:35 PM

Re: 4-23-23 Reds @ Pirates 1:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBench5 View Post
    Salary cap is the main reason some teams are never competitive...opinions are like you know what...but to say salary caps would not improve baseball is not smart.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    It would help. But not every NFL team goes 8-8 either. It’s not that easy either to build a good team even with a cap.

There are still consistent sad sack badly run teams going on decades now. The Lions. The Cardinals with the exception of about what 4-5 years were they made a SB and had 1 good year with Carson Palmer. The Dolphins were so mediocre to bad for years. They still really are. The Bills went about 17 years with no playoffs. Even worse than what the Bengals went through. All this during the cap era.

And do I need to mention the Browns since they came back into the league in 1999?

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-23-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    It would help. But not every NFL team goes 8-8 either. It’s not that easy either to build a good team even with a cap.

There are still consistent sad sack badly run teams going on decades now. The Lions. The Cardinals with the exception of about what 4-5 years were they made a SB and had 1 good year with Carson Palmer. The Dolphins were so mediocre to bad for years. They still really are. The Bills went about 17 years with no playoffs. Even worse than what the Bengals went through. All this during the cap era.

And do I need to mention the Browns since they came back into the league in 1999?
    You said it would help and it would...but even bad management can screw up a level playing field...I'm a jags fan so I know but we are good...because we drafted well lately and have a good coach/owner combo. The Reds have none of that plus no cap...they are doomed but I still love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    To borrow from Jim Mora... DEPTH?! DEPTH?! You're talking about DEPTH!!! We're about as deep as the conversations at a Kardashian slumber party.
    that made me laugh

6. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I do? Probably when they have only gone 5 and they are at 85-95 I would sure. With this bullpen when it’s overworked probably. Especially if less than 90 pitches. I just don’t think I have done this every game. But you have my posts I imagine.

You analytic nerds. Always with your over exaggeration of stats. Like the great mind Homer Simpson once said. You can make stats say whatever you want then to say.

And as someone who teaches statistics, I can say that is most definitely true.

"There are three kinds of lies--- lies, damned lies, and statistics." Mark Twain/ Benjamin Disraeli
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

You said it would help and it would...but even bad management can screw up a level playing field...I'm a jags fan so I know but we are good...because we drafted well lately and have a good coach/owner combo. The Reds have none of that plus no cap...they are doomed but I still love them.

I even forgot about them. All that cap money. All that space since the majority of time they didn’t seem to use it wisely. 1 good playoff run until last year. Prior to that they were close to Browns level bad.

I didn’t disagree a cap does not help. I don’t think that’s the main problem with the Reds. It’s been just bad management of judging players. Scouting. Development. Drafting.

You can also look at the teams that had the money and bad management could not even get them in the playoffs. Sometimes even 500 records. The Dodgers in the late 90s through into most of the 2000-2005? Or so time frame we’re just lost. They got the equivalent of oil money like the English soccer teams have to basically blow right by that along with excellent management.

The Angels have been the opposite of that now for about 10 years now.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-23-2023)

Can't expect the Reds to compete with big market teams like the Pirates.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

757690 (04-23-2023),Assembly Hall (04-23-2023),cumberlandreds (04-23-2023),fondfoat (04-23-2023),Kingspoint (04-23-2023),membengal (04-23-2023),RedTeamGo! (04-23-2023),Revering4Blue (04-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    ROTFLMAO

Reds payroll 2023 83 million
    Pirates payroll 2023 73 million
    Rays payroll 2023 73 million

Hmm...appears folks in Cincy are Dumb as a Cow pattie...

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Reds payroll 2023 83 million
    Pirates payroll 2023 73 million
    Rays payroll 2023 73 million

Hmm...appears folks in Cincy are Dumb as a Cow pattie...

It was sarcasm on Servo’s part.

That should have been obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    It was sarcasm on Servo’s part.

That should have been obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know...just wanted some facts out there...some folks may not know them.

For the sixth straight day I am going to say….. We’ll get’em tomorrow.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-23-2023),Ron Madden (04-23-2023)

Haha, it is frustrating.

However, the Pirates this year and the Orioles next year provide some sense of hope for the Reds competing at some point in the future.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

goreds2 (04-23-2023),Revering4Blue (04-23-2023),Ron Madden (04-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Haha, it is frustrating.

However, the Pirates this year and the Orioles next year provide some sense of hope for the Reds competing at some point in the future.
    Honestly, I think most teams can compete if they really want without crazy overspending....the really want part is the issue.

21. Likes:

mth123 (04-24-2023)

Turn Off Ads?