Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/25/2023 Reds vs Rangers 6:35 PM

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: 4/25/2023 Reds vs Rangers 6:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    That’s on the front office not the manager.
    If simply doing what the FO instructs --- if that's all there is to being an MLB manager these days --- then please give me (and the players?) someone who may not have missed his calling as a funeral director.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Likes:

Rantly (04-25-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Players as bad or worse than Senzel would start for most teams over Friedl against a LHP.
    Yes I know it's hard to phantom that but that's how far down the rabbit hole teams are with platooning. Even when a guy like Friedl hits LHP well.
    Again only superstar LHB don't platoon. Nearly every team has a player on the roster as bad as Senzel. Only the Reds have several as bad as Senzel

That's why I laugh at talk of MLB wanting to get expansion teams. Talent level on the benches and bull pens isn't good now. Imagine how much thinner it will be if new expansion teams are added down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    If simply doing what the FO instructs --- if that's all there is to being an MLB manager these days --- then please give me (and the players?) someone who may not have missed his calling as a funeral director.
    I've heard it said on here for two years now that the manager doesn't really make the on-field decisions anymore. Supposedly, front office execs, analytic department, etc... Is this true? Managers don't really manage the games anymore? So, Friedl sitting tonight was someone other than Bell's decision? His use of bullpen in late inning , high leverage situations is dictated by someone other than Bell? Is the earth actually flat? Did we really go to the Moon? I guess it's time to start questioning everything. I wish , then, that whoever is head of the Reds' analytic department knew what the hell he is doing and would stop causing misery for poor David Bell.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

6. Likes:

malcontent (04-25-2023)

I'd love to win this game today. We need to show that we can beat the better teams. Beat the teams we shouldn't, and then we can start to say that we're seeing a turn-around.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

8. Likes:

757690 (04-25-2023)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The conundrum of Weaver. Looks spectacular most of the time, but when he misses, he misses bigly.

That changeup was one of the worst pitches I’ve seen in some time.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    The conundrum of Weaver. Looks spectacular most of the time, but when he misses, he misses bigly.

Yeah. He could be serviceable. But if he is around for 30 starts. He likely will lead the league in HRs allowed. Hopefully a lot of solo shots.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Yeah. He could be serviceable. But if he is around for 30 starts. He likely will lead the league in HRs allowed. Hopefully a lot of solo shots.
    And GABP exacerbates the snot out of HR rates. Just not a good fit here.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

12. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Never said there was. I said nearly every manager would platoon Friedl with whatever scub RHH they had on their club. Go look at lineups for teams today. Look at the ones specifically when they are facing a LHP. You will be surprised how many good LHB routinely sit out against LHP. And shocked at how bad the RHH are that are starting against LHP.
    Trust me it's not just a Reds and David Bell thing. It happens daily though out MLB
    .your superstar LHH re about the only players who aren't regularly platooned.
    When the Reds fire Bell. I guarantee you will be saying (insert new Reds managers name) Sucks.
    Because they will be platooning.
    You’ve been preaching this for awhile now about GM’s setting the lineups etc. and I didn’t want to believe it. Several months ago there was a piece in SI about Joe Madden, who was one of the more progressive analytical managers, getting the run around from his front office staff, instructing him as how to manage and who to play etc. It’s surprising they find enough “yes man” managers to put up with this. It’s the main reason he is not managing anymore. Just another of many examples as to why baseball is not my favorite sport anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

LOL, wait till the weather actually gets hot out.

15. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (04-25-2023)

Inning summaries, you Ron Madden wannabes???
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Senzel is the very definition of pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I've heard it said on here for two years now that the manager doesn't really make the on-field decisions anymore. Supposedly, front office execs, analytic department, etc... Is this true? Managers don't really manage the games anymore? So, Friedl sitting tonight was someone other than Bell's decision? His use of bullpen in late inning , high leverage situations is dictated by someone other than Bell? Is the earth actually flat? Did we really go to the Moon? I guess it's time to start questioning everything. I wish , then, that whoever is head of the Reds' analytic department knew what the hell he is doing and would stop causing misery for poor David Bell.
    Managers make individual decisions within parameters provided by the organization. Middle Managers implement and enforce policies from above just like any other business.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

fondfoat (04-25-2023),LeatherPants (04-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    You’ve been preaching this for awhile now about GM’s setting the lineups etc. and I didn’t want to believe it. Several months ago there was a piece in SI about Joe Madden, who was one of the more progressive analytical managers, getting the run around from his front office staff, instructing him as how to manage and who to play etc. It’s surprising they find enough “yes man” managers to put up with this. It’s the main reason he is not managing anymore. Just another of many examples as to why baseball is not my favorite sport anymore.
    Yeah, if this is true, it's just another reason why baseball is solidly in the sh!tter. Just a mess!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Managers make individual decisions within parameters provided by the organization. Middle Managers implement and enforce policies from above just like any other business.
    Do we know who the Reds' middle managers are so that we can verbally abuse the s*** out of them ?
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Yeah and the lineups for this entire Ranger series was posted in the clubhouse before last night's game. They knew Perez was starting tonight. Friedl knew since yesterday he wasn't starting tonight.
    I don't agree with it. But there is no point in folks constantly blaming Bell. The next manager will do the same. Friedl is a bench player on the good teams. But he absolutely should be in the Reds lineup every day. Sadly one of the better players. He will be lucky to OPS 650

Turn Off Ads?