Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

You would think the NFLPA would have this covered already for its players........oh wait they dont do poop for their members.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Interesting article about Ohio sports teams and potential workers comp changes. I’ve heard rumblings about this, but this article has more details and the potential downsides. The writer claims Mike Brown is leading the way and, if that’s true, it’d be another feather in Mike Brown’s cheapness hat. Let’s hope this this doesn’t pass because it probably would hurt Ohio teams keeping and bringing in top talent.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opi...s/70226846007/
    Let’s keep in mind that this is merely an editorial by a college kid studying computer science. She may or may not have her facts straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let’s keep in mind that this is merely an editorial by a college kid studying computer science. She may or may not have her facts straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I understand that, but it does raise a lot of question marks regardless. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to fruition.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Dehner wrote about this in the Athletic:

Bengals side is they do not want players filing claims while still active in the league...double dipping. Once out of the league they can file a claim.

NFL side is a matter of timing....Comp claims have to be filed within 5 yrs...so if a player is out of the league for several years and finds out they suffered an unknown injury they would not be able to file a comp claim

https://theathletic.com/4301206/2023...tion-benefits/
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

6. Likes:

Redhook (05-23-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rams Linked to Bengals RB Joe Mixon in Trade Rumor

The Los Angeles Rams have done some "strip-down'' work in making their roster cap-compliant. But until they concede that coach Sean McVay is ready to oversee a "lost season'' - and short of an Organic Tanking for USC's Caleb Williams in next year's NFL Draft, that's a tough concession - they should still be in the business of talent acquisition.

And that brings us to yet another bit of national media speculation regarding the Rams chasing a "name'' running back.
    So, on to the next ... How unhappy are the Cincinnati Bengals with Joe Mixon?

He has been a foundational player for a good Bengals team. But he's also gotten himself into some legal hot water, and his price tag is at about $10 million APY for the next two seasons.

There is speculation about Cincy moving on here, maybe starting with the offer of a pay cut. Or ...

There can be the Rams, who finished 27th in NFL rushing last year, wondering if Cam Akers and sixth-round pick Zach Evans of Ole Miss are enough.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Why trade for him if they can possibly get him and not have to get a pick if the Bengals do release him.

The Rams need to be getting younger anyways.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Why trade for him if they can possibly get him and not have to get a pick if the Bengals do release him.

The Rams need to be getting younger anyways.
    Mostly because the Bengals probably aren't going to release him. But also, if they really want him (and not sure why they would), then all it takes is 1 other team willing to give something up.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

The CBS Sports article linking Mixon to the Rams was speculatory it details all 32 teams and which players could be traded.

La'el Collins posted on his IG page video of him working out and doing drills 5 months into his recovery...I think Burrow's doc did his surgery as well.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Here is some good news on Collins for people who didn’t think he was progressing well.

La’el Collins returned to doing drills, just seventh months after tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL.

And he looked good.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/2...rn-to-practice

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Here is some good news on Collins for people who didn’t think he was progressing well.

La’el Collins returned to doing drills, just seventh months after tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL.

And he looked good.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/2...rn-to-practice
    Looks 25-30 lbs. lighter, as well. Seems to be a guy with a good attitude and good work ethic. Go LC!!!
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

You know, we talk about the noticeable change in how the Bengals do things since the kids seem to have taken over the reigns.

But, if you look at how the Bengals play football today and how they played it back in the Paul Brown era, nothing has really changed. The organizational philosophy is still the strength of what makes the Bengals the Bengals, and that comes from the ideas handed down to Mike Brown from Paul Brown.

The Defense is still one that bases everything on giving up yardage, but not giving up points. They are more than willing to let a team have yards underneath as long as it doesn't lead to big plays and points. Then when the field is shorter, the Defense tightens up. That is how Zimmer coached the Defense. It's how Anarumo coaches the Defense, and it's how the Bengals in the 1970's and 1980's coached the Defense.

The Offense has always been Quarterback-centric emphasizing speed on the outside from the Wide Receivers combined with a beefy Offensive Line. It's probably why Mixon isn't going anywhere as he fits that philosophy to a tee. We've now added the 6'-8" Orlando Brown to the Offensive Line moving the smaller Jonah Williams over to RT until La'El Collins returns, a beefy road-grader of a Right Tackle.

It's the same for the Steelers, too. A stout Defense, heavy running of the ball and a Quarterback who can innovate and extend a play.

Let us not forget that the Baltimore Ravens are the Cleveland Browns, and that organizatioinal philosophy has never changed....a strong Defense while running the ball to death.

The newer Cleveland Browns are still trying to establish an organizational identity. It hurts them that they have an Owner who is clueless when it comes to the game of football. He tries to run it like a Corportation instead of a Football Club.

The old Baltimore Colts, of course, are the Indianapolis Colts,...and they've always been an organization that's going to build around their Offense and try to outscore you. They tried to put together a strong Defense and almost succeeded, and they've tried some aging QB's to push them over the top, but they need to get themselves a franchise QB again, and maybe this year they got one that can put them back on track after the derailing of Andrew Luck.

Which makes me think that the New England Patriots are going to be the most overlooked team in the NFL this season. Bill Belichick didn't suddenly become stupid. He's still a genius when it comes to the NFL, and he'll figure things out quickly after losing a ton of talent the last few years. He's George Allen in his later years, Vince Lombardi in his later years. Still a Hall-of-Fame Coach, and he's going to try to win one more title by finding Veterans who have been given up on by other teams. Maybe this year. Maybe next. But, he'll get back to an AFC Championship game.

All of this speed that the Bengals have acquired on Defense fits their organizational philosophy of not getting beat deep, while having the speed to recover quickly and not allow big plays to happen. With Azumano teaching these younger players in the Secondary about contain and attack and that missing a tackle is never OK, they should be setting themselves up to have a better Secondary than what they had with Bates and Bell.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-31-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Tyler Boyd Addresses Contract Situation

May 30th, 2023 at 9:46pm CST by Sam Robinson

In February, Tyler Boyd wondered about his status on the 2023 Bengals. Three months later, the wide receiver can rest easier. He remains on Cincinnati’s roster, with the team preparing to run it back — perhaps for the final time — with its elite wideout trio. Boyd is heading into the final season of his four-year, $43MM contract. With Tee Higgins now extension-eligible and both Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase on paths toward position-record contracts, Boyd may soon become a luxury the franchise can no longer afford. While the veteran slot receiver is open to a deal that keeps him in Cincinnati beyond 2023, he is far from certain that will come to pass.

“This is my home for now. I’m not going to worry about the unexpected. I’m here to finish this year out, and whatever happens, happens,” Boyd said, via The Athletic’s Jay Morrison (subscription required). “But I know we have a very, very high chance of making the Super Bowl and even winning, and this is where I want to be. Whether I come up with a new deal or not, I got to just go out there, and I’m gonna be me. “I am very appreciative of them still wanting me to be around and knowing that they don’t want to trade me and things like that. I might not be here forever. But I’ve always loved this franchise, and I’m always going to be a Bengal.” Bengals VP of player personnel Duke Tobin emphatically shot down Higgins trade rumors at the Combine, and Burrow extension talks have begun. Chase is not yet eligible for a new deal, and the Bengals can potentially delay those talks until 2025 due to the fifth-year option that will be exercised next May. With even Higgins not a lock to be extended, as that will come at a high price, Boyd’s place in line might dictate he secures his third contract elsewhere.

The Bengals extended Boyd before the arrivals of Burrow, Higgins and Chase, locking him down ahead of Zac Taylor‘s first season as HC in 2019. The former second-round pick has not missed more than one game in a season since signing his extension — though, the thigh bruise that knocked him out early in the AFC championship game proved costly for the Bengals — and has ripped off five straight 700-plus-yard receiving seasons. He wrapped 2022 with 762 yards and five touchdown receptions. Boyd will turn 29 later this year and would stand to be in line for a nice third contract, which seems more likely than not to come in free agency. Next year’s receiver UFA class may be more crowded than this year’s moderately talented crop, but Boyd could benefit from other teams keeping starters off the market. Mike Evans is entering a contract year, while Calvin Ridley and Marquise Brown are tied to fifth-year options. The Broncos, Cowboys and 49ers took their 2020 first-rounders (Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk) out of the equation by exercising their respective 2024 options; the Bengals nabbing Higgins in Round 2 did not give them that transaction choice. Higgins could become next year’s top receiver free agent, though the Bengals would have the franchise tag at their disposal. They want to extend the ex-Clemson standout, but no known talks have commenced.

The team retained A.J. Green via the tag in 2020, months after extending Boyd. A backloaded Burrow contract and Chase playing 2024 on his rookie deal keeps the door open for a Higgins 2024 tag — one likely north of $20MM. The Bengals’ fourth-round selection of slot receiver Charlie Jones in Round 4 adds another impediment toward a Boyd extension. Boyd does not expect the Bengals to consider another deal for him until the Higgins matter is resolved. “I know we’ve got to get deals done with important players like Joe and Tee,” Boyd said. “I’m good with money. I just want to see the guys that deserve it get paid. What happens in the future — hopefully, it works out for me.” From a big-picture standpoint, a compelling stretch lies ahead for the Bengals’ receiving group. For now, however, they are set to enter another season with the Chase-Higgins-Boyd trio surrounding Burrow. Other teams will undoubtedly be interested in how the franchise proceeds with its Nos. 2 and 3 targets.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Mike Brown aged out of crippling his own franchise with all the baggage he inherited from his father.

Paranoid Control Freak
    Toxic Frugality
    Outdated Approach
    Stubborn

This was Mike Brown in his prime, as an NFL owner. Easily among the all-time-worst in regard to NFL owners.

As for his daughter, I think it's more about what she doesn't do. They (Katie and Troy) felt, and their kids felt, the brunt of resentment from the local fan base during the 1990s. Smartly, these days, they would much rather collect those checks quietly and let the subject matter experts do their jobs.

Drafting Burrow and Chase helps too, of course.

As time continues to march on, it's easy to forget the awful things Mike Brown did to the taxpayers of Cincinnati and fans of the Bengals at the tail end of the 20th Century. You think the Castellinis are bad? Imagine if they ran their team into the ground on purpose, to save enough money to buy the team outright, while devaluing it, also on purpose, so they could buy it cheaper. That's Mike Brown 1991 to Whenever he finally did buy it outright.

We like to rewrite history these days. If this was a post on reddit, it would be downvoted to oblivion. But it's 100% true. And I won't even get in to the collusion with Bedinghaus when he was Hamilton County Commissioner. But ohhhh boy, it was a doozie. Bonus points, guess where Bedinghaus worked after he was commish. I'll bet you can guess!
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-31-2023 at 05:46 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

Redhook (05-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Mike Brown aged out of crippling his own franchise with all the baggage he inherited from his father.

Paranoid Control Freak
    Toxic Frugality
    Outdated Approach
    Stubborn

This was Mike Brown in his prime, as an NFL owner. Easily among the all-time-worst in regard to NFL owners.

As for his daughter, I think it's more about what she doesn't do. They (Katie and Troy) felt, and their kids felt, the brunt of resentment from the local fan base during the 1990s. Smartly, these days, they would much rather collect those checks quietly and let the subject matter experts do their jobs.

Drafting Burrow and Chase helps too, of course.

As time continues to march on, it's easy to forget the awful things Mike Brown did to the taxpayers of Cincinnati and fans of the Bengals at the tail end of the 20th Century. You think the Castellinis are bad? Imagine if they ran their team into the ground on purpose, to save enough money to buy the team outright, while devaluing it, also on purpose, so they could buy it cheaper. That's Mike Brown 1991 to Whenever he finally did buy it outright.

We like to rewrite history these days. If this was a post on reddit, it would be downvoted to oblivion. But it's 100% true. And I won't even get in to the collusion with Bedinghaus when he was Hamilton County Commissioner. But ohhhh boy, it was a doozie. Bonus points, guess where Bedinghaus worked after he was commish. I'll bet you can guess!
    The local old-timers need to keep the old stories alive.

Tyler Boyd's Stat Twin T.J. Houshmandzadeh Cheers His Record Book Route

May 31, 2023 at 07:20 PM Geoff Hobson, Senior Writer

WR Tyler Boyd catches the ball during practice at the Kettering Health Practice Fields on Wednesday, May 31 2023 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
    As he waved Tee Higgins over to the scale, Tyler Boyd stepped on with a told-you-so 206 pounds. That puts him in fighting trim for an eighth Bengals season that should leave him among the franchise's heavyweight wide receivers. "I play at 204, 205, so I'm good," said Boyd Wednesday, realizing there are weightier historical numbers. "Got to be in the top ten by now." Make that No. 1 if you count the 30-year-old catch percentage stat of Pro Football Reference, which is catches divided by targets. At 68.1 for his career, Boyd leads everyone from Chad Johnson to A.J. Green, although his buddies Higgins (65.7) and Ja'Marr Chase (64.1) are coming after him.

Indeed, Higgins is tied for second place in Bengals all-time catch percentage with Boyd's statistical twin from the first decade of this century, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who also played eight seasons in Cincinnati. If Boyd averages what he's done the last two seasons in the slot between 1,000-yard receivers Chase and Higgins, his 63 catches for 795 yards put him into fourth place on the club's all-time list with 509 catches, two more than Houshmandzadeh's 507, and seventh in yards with 6,128, shooting past Houshmandzadeh (5,782), Darnay Scott (5,975) and six shy of Eddie Brown. Throw in Boyd's 12 yards per catch and 29 touchdowns and Houshmandzadeh's 11.4 yards per and 37 touchdowns and "Damn near identical. I've always liked Tyler Boyd. He's never really received the credit he deserves. That happens when you play in the slot," said Houshmandzadeh, who knows something about going under the radar.

Tyler Reliability Boyd. He took the practice field this week for the first time this spring in the Bengals' voluntary phase and since it's the last year of his deal it has given him a moment to reflect on being the longest serving Bengal of the two-time AFC North champs. When he arrived in the second round of the 2016 draft, that honor belonged to left tackle Andrew Whitworth and nose tackle Domata Peko and he's about to match Houshmandzadeh's career that began in the first draft at Paycor Stadium in 2001. It would seem the numbers match the playing style because the 6-2 Boyd has sifted through the archives to watch the 6-2, 200-pound Houshmandzadeh.

For the rest of the story....

https://www.bengals.com/news/tyler-b...ord-book-route

Turn Off Ads?