Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Nice analysis. Thinking about Jones and Boyd. I wonder if Boyd is on the trade block now. Would be nice to add a 3rd or 4th round pick for 2024.
    I doubt it. We all get a little happy with trade suggestion at times. Boyd is a valuable weapon for Burrow, and at this point he isn't that cost prohibitive. And at this point with their avoidance of drafting a TE, the slot WR is pretty important to the offense.

Finances will get a little tighter when Burrow gets his extension and when/if Higgins gets his. You need to be able to replace a slot WR in the draft. You need to be able to replace a RB in the later rounds of the draft. You need to be able to bank on rookie deals controlling the cost at these positions.

In an offensive league, you need to continue to beef up the offense. Its primarily why it made sense letting Bates (and to a lesser extent Bell) walk in free agency. Its also why if you give a RB a second contract, you have to hit on that.

It appears that this draft was all about depth, which isn't exactly a bad thing. If you can turn Turner/Battle/Murphy into starters then its a great draft. If you whiff on one of those guys, well it gets a little more expensive.

As long as Burrow is under contract, they are going to have to address the WR position in the draft. Maybe not a 1st rounder, but if you can create a situation where you aren't relying on the Michael Thomas's of the world or the Trent's to be your backups or guys who you have to count on making plays, then that is a good place to be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bengals secondary is unreal now all that speed...

If Murphy and Ossai can give them a push on the rush the defense will be top 5 in the AFC
    If the D can reach top 5 status, to go along with what certainly should be top 5 offense and now possibly a top 10 special teams... look out!!!
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I doubt it. We all get a little happy with trade suggestion at times. Boyd is a valuable weapon for Burrow, and at this point he isn't that cost prohibitive. And at this point with their avoidance of drafting a TE, the slot WR is pretty important to the offense.

Finances will get a little tighter when Burrow gets his extension and when/if Higgins gets his. You need to be able to replace a slot WR in the draft. You need to be able to replace a RB in the later rounds of the draft. You need to be able to bank on rookie deals controlling the cost at these positions.

In an offensive league, you need to continue to beef up the offense. Its primarily why it made sense letting Bates (and to a lesser extent Bell) walk in free agency. Its also why if you give a RB a second contract, you have to hit on that.

It appears that this draft was all about depth, which isn't exactly a bad thing. If you can turn Turner/Battle/Murphy into starters then its a great draft. If you whiff on one of those guys, well it gets a little more expensive.

As long as Burrow is under contract, they are going to have to address the WR position in the draft. Maybe not a 1st rounder, but if you can create a situation where you aren't relying on the Michael Thomas's of the world or the Trent's to be your backups or guys who you have to count on making plays, then that is a good place to be.
    It was said this was one of the deepest TE classes ever, so it is very surprising they didn't grab one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It was said this was one of the deepest TE classes ever, so it is very surprising they didn't grab one of them.
    We heard that a couple of years ago with OT, and they ended up with Carman in the 2nd.

Sometimes I think Tobin is a slave to his draft board. He doesn't deviate much, and with the roster they have, sans QB, they really could draft anywhere.

I will admit I get a little confused with the teams I watch because Ryan Day loves to run 12 personal at OSU and Taylor seems to run 11 more often.

I also wonder if the hit rate at TE in the draft being rather low is why they tend to shy away from drafting them. Its almost like there is no value (or limited value) drafting a TE early.

You guys know draft personnel way better than I do. I don't follow it that closely. From my limited knowledge perspective, it seems like the Bengals got pretty good value in the picks they made. Seemed to go BPA a lot instead of perceived needs. I think they had targeted some of these guys to take in the event they were still available. I also think that some people overlook the culture thing. It's something the Bengals' brass really value. They look for guys that bring a lot of intangibles(I'm a big IntangiBALL guy) and fit the culture that they've built here and fit their philosophy and system. That clearly shows in this draft , as well. They grabbed, what was it , two or three team captains with their picks. Their #1 was rated by most as several slots higher. If he can be developed to where his production can match the level of his physical gifts, the Bengals have themselves a potential Pro Bowler down the road.

They got faster in the secondary. Plus, that added some pieces that may very well make an impact on special teams. I think they very much expect some of these draftees to play right away as rotational pieces, at least. I truly believe you will see several of the guys on the field this season making impactful plays. Also, I love the Chase Brown pick. Another team captain, a guy who will help big-time in pass protection, and one of those guys who really seems to appreciate the opportunity he's been given. Bottomline, he just seems like a hard-nosed ball player determined to do what it takes to succeed. He could end up being a real steal.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    You guys know draft personnel way better than I do. I don't follow it that closely. From my limited knowledge perspective, it seems like the Bengals got pretty good value in the picks they made. Seemed to go BPA a lot instead of perceived needs. I think they had targeted some of these guys to take in the event they were still available. I also think that some people overlook the culture thing. It's something the Bengals' brass really value. They look for guys that bring a lot of intangibles(I'm a big IntangiBALL guy) and fit the culture that they've built here and fit their philosophy and system. That clearly shows in this draft , as well. They grabbed, what was it , two or three team captains with their picks. Their #1 was rated by most as several slots higher. If he can be developed to where his production can match the level of his physical gifts, the Bengals have themselves a potential Pro Bowler down the road.

They got faster in the secondary. Plus, that added some pieces that may very well make an impact on special teams. I think they very much expect some of these draftees to play right away as rotational pieces, at least. I truly believe you will see several of the guys on the field this season making impactful plays. Also, I love the Chase Brown pick. Another team captain, a guy who will help big-time in pass protection, and one of those guys who really seems to appreciate the opportunity he's been given. Bottomline, he just seems like a hard-nosed ball player determined to do what it takes to succeed. He could end up being a real steal.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.
    Fast is one thing, but you have to be good. The NFL is full of fast guys!

The culture piece is an important one with Taylor. Under Marv it was, can you play, ok we will turn a blind eye. Under Taylor, it seems that they are prioritizing character. And it seems like it is paying off on the field. Over the past few seasons, they seem to be a very disciplined team, very rarely shooting themselves in the foot with boneheaded moves.

We heard that a couple of years ago with OT, and they ended up with Carman in the 2nd.

Sometimes I think Tobin is a slave to his draft board. He doesn't deviate much, and with the roster they have, sans QB, they really could draft anywhere.

I will admit I get a little confused with the teams I watch because Ryan Day loves to run 12 personal at OSU and Taylor seems to run 11 more often.

I also wonder if the hit rate at TE in the draft being rather low is why they tend to shy away from drafting them. Its almost like there is no value (or limited value) drafting a TE early.
    I read they shy away from TE's due to how long it takes to develop them, though James Rapien was under the belief they may have taken Kincaid if he fell to 28
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Strange comment you're making that they're deeper now and then you mention two players that they had last year. If you're counting on those players to do more than last year, that's great but they are still the same guys. I'm not convinced Carman can do anything at RT and I'm not sure what he can give us at LT. He did give us a really good game at Buffalo and kudos to him for that
    Collins was a starter last year, now he's depth thanks to the Brown signing and Jonah moving. Collins is saying in interviews he thinks he'd be able to play now so I think it's fair to say he'll be ready by late season. That's a big upgrade from what they had to go with when he got injured last year. The Brown signing was genius because it upgraded both tackle positions + depth.

Carman looked like a bust going into last season, now we know he's useful depth also.

Jonah Williams will play, it's so obvious I don't even see the point in discussing it.

Cody Ford probably has more upside than previous depth as well, but that's pretty speculative so I didn't go there.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Collins was a starter last year, now he's depth thanks to the Brown signing and Jonah moving. Collins is saying in interviews he thinks he'd be able to play now so I think it's fair to say he'll be ready by late season. That's a big upgrade from what they had to go with when he got injured last year. The Brown signing was genius because it upgraded both tackle positions + depth.

Carman looked like a bust going into last season, now we know he's useful depth also.

Jonah Williams will play, it's so obvious I don't even see the point in discussing it.

Cody Ford probably has more upside than previous depth as well, but that's pretty speculative so I didn't go there.
    It's far too early to state that the Brown signing improved two positions. We have no idea how Jonah Williams will look at RT

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's far too early to state that the Brown signing improved two positions. We have no idea how Jonah Williams will look at RT
    I feel confident in stating he's going to be better than Adeniji or Carmen and those were the choices at RT until Collins comes back. You can be more cautious if you like, I have no problem going out on that limb.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-03-2023)

I also wonder if the hit rate at TE in the draft being rather low is why they tend to shy away from drafting them.
    That could be part of it. Also, I think in the offense they run right now, the TE is really just the fourth option, so that dampens the value even more. That said, I do think they would have seriously considered Kincaid at 28 and LaPorta at 60, but neither was still there. They clearly didn't value Mayer as a first rounder though. And they don't seem to have wanted Washington at all.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    That could be part of it. Also, I think in the offense they run right now, the TE is really just the fourth option, so that dampens the value even more. That said, I do think they would have seriously considered Kincaid at 28 and LaPorta at 60, but neither was still there. They clearly didn't value Mayer as a first rounder though. And they don't seem to have wanted Washington at all.
    I wouldn't have traded up for Kincaid, back injuries coming into the NFL scare me. But one issue I have with the Bengals of late is they just aren't very aggressive when there is a player they want. I don't know what it would have taken to move up to get LaPorta, or another TE they liked, but just do it. If you like a guy, the last think I want to hear is XYZ team took him before we did. You have the opportunity to draft the guy, you just didn't want to trade up. The Bengals could have had Darnell Washington, but decided to trade back in the 3rd and acquire a 6th round pick.

If the Bengals really wanted Kincaid (which I don't know if they did) it would have cost them a 4th round pick to move up.

I wouldn't have traded up for Kincaid, back injuries coming into the NFL scare me. But one issue I have with the Bengals of late is they just aren't very aggressive when there is a player they want. I don't know what it would have taken to move up to get LaPorta, or another TE they liked, but just do it. If you like a guy, the last think I want to hear is XYZ team took him before we did. You have the opportunity to draft the guy, you just didn't want to trade up. The Bengals could have had Darnell Washington, but decided to trade back in the 3rd and acquire a 6th round pick.

If the Bengals really wanted Kincaid (which I don't know if they did) it would have cost them a 4th round pick to move up.
    It's not just the Bengals of late, they have almost NEVER been aggressive about trading up.

They've only done it once ever in the first round that I can remember (for Ki-Jana Carter 30 years ago). I'm not sure I can recall them doing it in Round 2 or 3 either. I've seen them do it on Day 3 (Russ Bodine and Ryan Finley come to mind) but it's a fatal flaw of theirs IMO. Kincaid was there for the taking, and we let one of our arch rivals jump up and get him, unfortunately.
    Go BLUE!!!

18. Likes:

WrongVerb (05-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm not sure I can recall them doing it in Round 2 or 3 either.
    It just happened last year.

I don't think they like to do it unless they feel very certain about a player, and I imagine that's rare. Seems to have worked out in the case of Cam Taylor-Britt. I'm guessing he must have been much, much higher than #60 on their board for them to have made that deal.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-03-2023),RiverRat13 (05-03-2023)

TE is a luxury on this team that isn't worth it.

Trey is gonna be 30, with a $17.5 mil cap hit next year with only $2.5 dead money.

It's pretty easy to see the Bengals plans.

Murphy -> Trey
    Turner -> Awuzie
    Brown -> Mixon

They have to get cheaper across the board if you want to keep the guys everyone wants to keep.

22. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-03-2023),Kingspoint (05-03-2023),RiverRat13 (05-03-2023)

Turn Off Ads?