Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It's not just the Bengals of late, they have almost NEVER been aggressive about trading up.

They've only done it once ever in the first round that I can remember (for Ki-Jana Carter 30 years ago). I'm not sure I can recall them doing it in Round 2 or 3 either. I've seen them do it on Day 3 (Russ Bodine and Ryan Finley come to mind) but it's a fatal flaw of theirs IMO. Kincaid was there for the taking, and we let one of our arch rivals jump up and get him, unfortunately.
    The Bills can have Kincaid. If he works out for them, great. He's not even going to be a top TE on the team sharing snaps with Dawson Knox.

If they wanted a TE there was a local product for the taking in Michael Mayer. At least there was no injury concerns. Kincaids back problems remind me of Tyler Eifert.

And they did trade up last year to get Cam Taylor Britt because the 49ers were going to take him.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    TE is a luxury on this team that isn't worth it.

Trey is gonna be 30, with a $17.5 mil cap hit next year with only $2.5 dead money.

It's pretty easy to see the Bengals plans.

Murphy -> Trey
    Turner -> Awuzie
    Brown -> Mixon

They have to get cheaper across the board if you want to keep the guys everyone wants to keep.
    As soon as the Murphy pick was announced it was pretty clear he was Hendricksons replacement.

This has been standard practice when the Bengals go BPA. Fill a need that is essentially a year away. Dax Hill for Jessie Bates, Cedric Ogbuehi for Andrew Whitworth. They like to redshirt the picks but lately you can't argue with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As soon as the Murphy pick was announced it was pretty clear he was Hendricksons replacement.

This has been standard practice when the Bengals go BPA. Fill a need that is essentially a year away. Dax Hill for Jessie Bates, Cedric Ogbuehi for Andrew Whitworth. They like to redshirt the picks but lately you can't argue with the results.

I think you can argue the results of their redshirt picks, but not their overall draft picks. Redshirting first round draft picks, which most likely won’t be the case with Murphy (hopefully), is a terrible strategy in my opinion. First round picks need to play and contribute immediately. They only get so many years on that rookie contract.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-03-2023),Rdirtypirates (05-07-2023)

Brandon Allen signs with the 49ers, leaving Jake Browning as the backup QB.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If he was unsigned at this late date, then the Bengals didn't want him. What their plan is, I don't know. Have they signed an UDFA QB?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If the backup QB sees the field in anything other than a blowout, who cares who it is, the seasons over. Could we pry A.J. McCarron from where is he now, the X.F.L.

They have now signed Trevor Siemian as a backup

That's a legit signing, Siemian could come in and win for a stretch if Burrow goes down. Of course if Burrow has a season ending injury that's all she wrote, but I feel better with our chances of Siemian getting them through a month than I did with Brandon Allen.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    If the backup QB sees the field in anything other than a blowout, who cares who it is, the seasons over. Could we pry A.J. McCarron from where is he now, the X.F.L.
    Not sure I agree with that entirely. This team is pretty solid across the roster. If Burrow misses 4 games, having a decent backup could be the difference between going 3-1 or 1-3, which could be the difference in winning the division or not, getting home field in the round or 2 of the playoffs, etc.... Yes, if Burrow has a season ending injury, it won't matter. But it will if it's one where he only misses some games.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

We’ve seen QBs have to leave late round playoff games that would still be winnable for their teams if they have a quality backup.

Yeah, if in some hypothetical scenario where Burrow goes down for the season we’re probably done. But if he tweaks something and has to miss a quarter or two in the AFC divisional game, I want a capable backup who can step in and potentially keep us alive. That’s where the importance of a good backup comes in.

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    We’ve seen QBs have to leave late round playoff games that would still be winnable for their teams if they have a quality backup.

Yeah, if in some hypothetical scenario where Burrow goes down for the season we’re probably done. But if he tweaks something and has to miss a quarter or two in the AFC divisional game, I want a capable backup who can step in and potentially keep us alive. That’s where the importance of a good backup comes in.
    Chad Henne stepped in for the chiefs 2 years ago and beat the Browns
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Chad Henne stepped in for the chiefs 2 years ago and beat the Browns
    Held on is probably more accurate.

Siemian is certainly better than Allen, but the Bengals are about as QB centric as you can be in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Held on is probably more accurate.

Siemian is certainly better than Allen, but the Bengals are about as QB centric as you can be in the NFL.
    I would venture to say any team that has an elite QB is QB centric. If you are a marginal QB, you are going to go to a team where the starting QB status is up in the air. You may get a chance to play and a chance to be a starting NFL QB.

Simeon is a quality back up QB. Could Simeon go 2-2 if Burrow misses a month? Probably. I think that is what you want in a backup QB.

Question to Albert Breer today may be on interest -

From Alex Sullivan (@Alex_Sullivan11): Are the Bengals still shopping Jonah Williams?

Alex, they’re not. And if they weren’t going to do it before the draft, my feeling is they won’t do it at all. To me, there are teams (like, say, New England) that could really use him. But unless you’re talking about giving Cincinnati a second-round pick for Williams, it doesn’t make sense for the Bengals to move him, because if he plays well for them in the fall, they’ll get that year of service from him at a trouble spot (and insurance on La’el Collins working his way back from a torn ACL), and potentially a third- or fourth-round comp pick in 2025.

As for where Williams is at, he’s still rehabbing from knee surgery out in California. He’s close to being ready to do football drills, and while there’d be some question as to when he’ll be fully cleared for actual full-contact work, he’s certainly expecting to be full go for training camp. His plan, for now, is to go to Ohio for the mandatory stuff—starting with the full-squad minicamp next month. And the Bengals expect to have him, for the time being, in there as their starting right tackle, opposite newcomer Orlando Brown Jr.

A number of factors played into Williams’s trade request, with the position switch (from left tackle to right) being one and the lack of communication from the team on that switch before signing Brown to a big free-agent deal. For what it’s worth, I do think Williams is in a little better place with the team now than he was a month ago, and I think the Bengals will get a good year out of him, assuming no one comes in and throws big capital at Cincinnati (which could happen if there’s an injury with another team) to get him.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

21. Likes:

Redhook (05-03-2023)

I don't know this for certain, but I'd be surprised if teams communicate with any regularity to existing players when they're looking at other players at that position. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm not sure what would have been reasonable communication to him during that process. If he were an elite player and older, then maybe it would be considered disrespectful, but he's been average at best and is only 25. He's not earned any kind of special treatment.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-04-2023),membengal (05-03-2023),Redhook (05-03-2023),Sea Ray (05-03-2023)

Turn Off Ads?