Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would venture to say any team that has an elite QB is QB centric. If you are a marginal QB, you are going to go to a team where the starting QB status is up in the air. You may get a chance to play and a chance to be a starting NFL QB.

Simeon is a quality back up QB. Could Simeon go 2-2 if Burrow misses a month? Probably. I think that is what you want in a backup QB.
    Sure. Teams without a QB can sometimes rely on a strong running game and defense and playing ugly and the Bengals can’t do that right now. But teams like that also can’t win the Super Bowl.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I still have bad memories of the backup to Bradshaw beating the Bengals twice in 1976 to keep them out of the playoffs.

Of course that team ran the ball 40-50 times a game and half the defense were All Pros.

Anyways. I’m sure the Bengals are sorry they could not communicate with Williams better about trying to upgrade their team for another SB run.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wouldn't have traded up for Kincaid, back injuries coming into the NFL scare me. But one issue I have with the Bengals of late is they just aren't very aggressive when there is a player they want. I don't know what it would have taken to move up to get LaPorta, or another TE they liked, but just do it. If you like a guy, the last think I want to hear is XYZ team took him before we did. You have the opportunity to draft the guy, you just didn't want to trade up. The Bengals could have had Darnell Washington, but decided to trade back in the 3rd and acquire a 6th round pick.

If the Bengals really wanted Kincaid (which I don't know if they did) it would have cost them a 4th round pick to move up.
    According to the beat writers and people more in-the-know on this stuff, they just didn't value any of those players highly enough to trade up for them. They do sometimes trade, but usually only when it involves a premium position where they feel there is a steep cliff (like with CTB in the second last year when they wanted a CB and didn't like anyone else on the list). Tobin has been clear that otherwise he prefers to sit and keep the picks.

Kincaid would have been in the conversation at 28, but he didn't make it there. They were happy to take Murphy.

LaPorta was a round 2 consideration, but he didn't make it there. They were thrilled to get Turner.

Washington was a medical concern who didn't fit their offensive priorities (throwing the ball). They were thrilled to get Battle in the 3rd and found a trade partner to give them an extra pick in the 6th to draft their punter, Robbins.

All of the other TE in the draft went earlier than they would have wanted to take them. Schoonmaker and Strange went in the 2nd! It was just so hard to predict, as the draft always is, and I think they did well to let it come to them.
    Last edited by RedEye; 05-03-2023 at 04:52 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-04-2023)

Lots of Steelers fans think by drafting Washington they will run the ball a lot more. Take pressure off Pickett. Running game will be easier to do with many teams focused on the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Lots of Steelers fans think by drafting Washington they will run the ball a lot more. Take pressure off Pickett. Running game will be easier to do with many teams focused on the passing game.
    Could be true. Washington is a better fit for Pittsburgh than he is for Cincinnati, I think.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't know this for certain, but I'd be surprised if teams communicate with any regularity to existing players when they're looking at other players at that position. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm not sure what would have been reasonable communication to him during that process. If he were an elite player and older, then maybe it would be considered disrespectful, but he's been average at best and is only 25. He's not earned any kind of special treatment.
    agreed. I don't blame the bengals for that at all. What i did like reading from that is Jonah seems to have appropriately gotten over it and is ready to vie for RT come camp and that he will be here for mandatory camps this summer.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    agreed. I don't blame the bengals for that at all. What i did like reading from that is Jonah seems to have appropriately gotten over it and is ready to vie for RT come camp and that he will be here for mandatory camps this summer.
    12 million dollars is a hell of a motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

10. Likes:

Redhook (05-03-2023)

Question to Albert Breer today may be on interest

From Alex Sullivan (@Alex_Sullivan11): Are the Bengals still shopping Jonah Williams?

Alex, they’re not. And if they weren’t going to do it before the draft, my feeling is they won’t do it at all. To me, there are teams (like, say, New England) that could really use him. But unless you’re talking about giving Cincinnati a second-round pick for Williams, it doesn’t make sense for the Bengals to move him, because if he plays well for them in the fall, they’ll get that year of service from him at a trouble spot (and insurance on La’el Collins working his way back from a torn ACL), and potentially a third- or fourth-round comp pick in 2025.

As for where Williams is at, he’s still rehabbing from knee surgery out in California. He’s close to being ready to do football drills, and while there’d be some question as to when he’ll be fully cleared for actual full-contact work, he’s certainly expecting to be full go for training camp. His plan, for now, is to go to Ohio for the mandatory stuff—starting with the full-squad minicamp next month. And the Bengals expect to have him, for the time being, in there as their starting right tackle, opposite newcomer Orlando Brown Jr.

A number of factors played into Williams’s trade request, with the position switch (from left tackle to right) being one and the lack of communication from the team on that switch before signing Brown to a big free-agent deal. For what it’s worth, I do think Williams is in a little better place with the team now than he was a month ago, and I think the Bengals will get a good year out of him, assuming no one comes in and throws big capital at Cincinnati (which could happen if there’s an injury with another team) to get him.

-

Sounds about right. Key here is "if Jonah plays well, the Bengals will likely get a 3rd or 4th Rd Comp pick in 2025 by just letting him hit Free Agency, and they we will have Collins still under the 3rd year of his contract and 20 months removed from the ACL injury, in addition to another year of playing time for Carmen/Volson/Others, along with next offseason to depth or immediate Starter at the position for much cheaper than Williams will cost. Getting that 3rd/4th Rd pick for Williams will be worth every penny of not resigning him. That's why we'd have to get a minimum of a 2nd in trade for him, because not trading him at all still gets us a 3rd/4th.

That said, the Bengals (and most other teams, too) put a moratorium on trades and signings of Free Agents the last two weeks before the draft. After a week of analysis to get a closeup look at their players, Free Agency and Trade discussions will open up again until training camps begin.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bengals HC Zac Taylor On RB Joe Mixon: “His Future Is Here With The Team”

April 30th, 2023 at 10:52am CST by Rory Parks

For the past several months, there have been rumblings that Joe Mixon‘s time with the Bengals could soon be up. However, in his post-draft presser yesterday, head coach Zac Taylor indicated that the seventh-year running back would remain in Cincinnati in 2023. “[Mixon’s] future is here with the team,” Taylor told reporters, including Ben Baby of ESPN.com. “I like Joe Mixon.”

Those comments are certainly more definitive than those made by VP of player personnel Duke Tobin and executive VP Katie Blackburn earlier this offseason. When asked whether the club would retain Mixon, Tobin said, “I don’t know,” and Blackburn was similarly noncommittal. Several weeks ago, a report from Paul Dehner Jr. of The Athletic suggested that Mixon will ultimately be asked to take a pay cut. A pay cut may be the best outcome for both sides, as the Bengals would retain a 2021 Pro Bowler while reducing his $12.8MM cap number, and Mixon would avoid becoming a late addition to a free agent market that has proven quite unfriendly to running backs. Plus, it’s not as though he would be hitting the market with a great deal of momentum; he posted a subpar 3.9 YPC average in 2022 and is presently facing a misdemeanor charge of aggravated menacing. If player and team do not discuss or come to terms on a salary reduction, the Bengals could release Mixon with a post-June 1 designation and shave over $10MM off their 2023 ledger. However, that would put a great deal of pressure on Trayveon Williams (47 career carries), Chris Evans (17 career carries), and fifth-round rookie Chase Brown.

If Cincy had been able to re-sign Samaje Perine, perhaps the club would have been more inclined to move on from Mixon and deploy a Perine/Brown tandem at the top of the RB depth chart. Or, if a blue-chip prospect like Bijan Robinson had fallen to them in this year’s draft, the Bengals might have been comfortable with such a player taking over RB1 duties right away. As it stands, however, it would seem that a team with Super Bowl aspirations would not immediately hand the running back reins to Brown, no matter how high his upside might be. So Taylor’s comments with respect to Mixon, who has joined the team for voluntary workouts, make sense. For his part, Brown — a Doak Walker Award finalist who rushed for 1,643 yards and posted 13 total TDs in his final season with Illinois — is excited to work with Mixon. “They have a great running back there right now, Joe Mixon, who I grew up watching and watched a lot through college,” Brown said. “So I’m excited to come in, learn from him, learn from the coaching staff and produce on Sundays.”
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

So any predictions on schedule release?

AFC South and NFC West plus Minnesota, Buffalo and at Kansas City.

Prime Time Guesses:
    Ravens
    Steelers
    Rams (Super Bowl Rematch, Thursday night?)
    Bills (Return to Paycor after Hamlin)
    Jaguars

I look for the Chiefs and 49ers to get 4:25 starts on CBS or Fox

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    12 million dollars is a hell of a motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. For sure. And yet...somehow sometimes it isn't. Was nice to at least read from Breer's sourcing that Williams has moved beyond the initial negative reaction...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    So any predictions on schedule release?

AFC South and NFC West plus Minnesota, Buffalo and at Kansas City.

Prime Time Guesses:
    Ravens
    Steelers
    Rams (Super Bowl Rematch, Thursday night?)
    Bills (Return to Paycor after Hamlin)
    Jaguars

I look for the Chiefs and 49ers to get 4:25 starts on CBS or Fox

I’m not sure the league wants to mess with too many Rams prime time games.
    Browns Bengals has been a Thursday night a couple times I think, seems like a good possibility.

Yes. For sure. And yet...somehow sometimes it isn't. Was nice to at least read from Breer's sourcing that Williams has moved beyond the initial negative reaction...
    Yeah, that seems to have happened after about a week. Same with my Father-in-Law anytime there's changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I’m not sure the league wants to mess with too many Rams prime time games.
    Browns Bengals has been a Thursday night a couple times I think, seems like a good possibility.
    Since every team has to have a Thursday night game the Rams would fall into that category.

Any of the AFC North match-ups are fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As soon as the Murphy pick was announced it was pretty clear he was Hendricksons replacement.

This has been standard practice when the Bengals go BPA. Fill a need that is essentially a year away. Dax Hill for Jessie Bates, Cedric Ogbuehi for Andrew Whitworth. They like to redshirt the picks but lately you can't argue with the results.

I get this strategy and somewhat agree with it. Picking Dax Hill and not an offensive linemen cost us in a championship game. You can’t redshirt picks when you are in a Super Bowl window. If we had an offensive line we would have at least won one Super Bowl possibly two, but you pick Hill who played about 5 plays a game. The Chiefs were very successful last year getting guys that helped right away,it is why they won the Super Bowl and the reds but I digress.You got to learn to deviate from a plan at times.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 05-07-2023 at 08:01 AM.

19. Likes:

Benihana (05-09-2023),Tony Cloninger (05-07-2023)

Turn Off Ads?