Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: Post Draft Edition

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yes. For sure. And yet...somehow sometimes it isn't. Was nice to at least read from Breer's sourcing that Williams has moved beyond the initial negative reaction...
    Jonah Williams career earnings are 17 million. It may not be a factor sometimes but in this case it most definitely is. Plus if he sat out he would ruin his career. There was zero chance he wasn’t showing up if he didn’t get traded. The man is not stupid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I get this strategy and somewhat agree with it. Picking Dax Hill and not an offensive linemen cost us in a championship game. You canít redshirt picks when you are in a Super Bowl window. If we had an offensive line we would have at least won one Super Bowl possibly two, but you pick Hill who played about 5 plays a game. The Chiefs were very successful last year getting guys that helped right away,it is why they won the Super Bowl and the reds but I digress.You got to learn to deviate from a plan at times.
    Injuries and lack of good depth cost them against KC...the entire NFL struggles with good depth on the O line though. They were able to overcome it vs Baltimore and Buffalo unfortunately KC exposed the lack of good depth.

Hill was number 1 on their board and they were happy to get him as he was rated higher than where they took him. His playing time was more on Lou being comfortable with Bates and Bell as it takes a bit to pick up his defense on a communication end. He did take over for Flowers towards the end of the season.

In looking at the draft the next O Lineman taken was Cam Jurgens at pick 51, Luke Goedeke and Ed Ingram came a few picks later. All of those players listed struggled or didn't see the field much. Ingram tied for the league lead in sacks allowed at 11 and Jurgens backs up Kelce and Goedeke was moved around TB's line.

I do think had the Chiefs not picked Karlaftis he may have been the pick...but once he went they most likely pivoted to Hill
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Injuries and lack of good depth cost them against KC...the entire NFL struggles with good depth on the O line though. They were able to overcome it vs Baltimore and Buffalo unfortunately KC exposed the lack of good depth.

Hill was number 1 on their board and they were happy to get him as he was rated higher than where they took him. His playing time was more on Lou being comfortable with Bates and Bell as it takes a bit to pick up his defense on a communication end. He did take over for Flowers towards the end of the season.

In looking at the draft the next O Lineman taken was Cam Jurgens at pick 51, Luke Goedeke and Ed Ingram came a few picks later. All of those players listed struggled or didn't see the field much. Ingram tied for the league lead in sacks allowed at 11 and Jurgens backs up Kelce and Goedeke was moved around TB's line.

I do think had the Chiefs not picked Karlaftis he may have been the pick...but once he went they most likely pivoted to Hill
    I just don’t agree with this philosophy if you are in a Super Bowl window because they go quick. I can’t remember the draft as well as you, but I hated the pick. I think Battle is the better pro and Hill sees the field sparingly. If it wasn’t offensive line they could have took another position. Safety is devalued in the NFL. So essentially you are paying him first round money, it just isn’t good value when you have all these players to resign. I did really like this draft except Turner. I saw him get abused a few times. He had no chance against Chuck sizzle.

Picking Dax Hill and not an offensive linemen cost us in a championship game.
    No it didn't.

Our 2nd best Offensive Lineman. Gone.

Our 3rd best Offensive Lineman. Gone.

Our four year Starter at Left Tackle. Regressed badly.

That's just too much to expect to cover, when one position group gets slammed. I've seen it happen before to other teams. There's just no accounting for that much devastation to one position group.

They added four new Starters, and you're whining because they didn't add four PLUS a 1st Round Offensive Tackle to play RT in case we get a season-ending injury to our newly signed for three years RT?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-07-2023 at 03:57 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I just don’t agree with this philosophy if you are in a Super Bowl window because they go quick. I can’t remember the draft as well as you, but I hated the pick. I think Battle is the better pro and Hill sees the field sparingly. If it wasn’t offensive line they could have took another position. Safety is devalued in the NFL. So essentially you are paying him first round money, it just isn’t good value when you have all these players to resign. I did really like this draft except Turner. I saw him get abused a few times. He had no chance against Chuck sizzle.
    Our Super Bowl window is Joe Burrow's career. We've been in back-to-back AFC Championship Games (on the road) and played the Super Bowl on the Road in the opponent's back yard and then lost to the Super Bowl Champions in their back-yard after beating them three times in a row over a one-year period, and damn near made it a fourth.

Don't know if it's been noticed, but today, we are lights out better than we were four months ago, and that can be said of this team over any four-month rolling period of the last 12 periods.

The Brown family who are running this show clearly understand what window they are in. That's why they are willing to greatly overpay for Mixon, Jonah and Collins, all of whom will not earn their salaries next season. But, they are all insurance over getting someone who has a question mark or a learning curve. Collins is a lock to be a great run-blocker, while his improved health should lead him back to being a productive pass-blocker. Jonah is high floor as a Right Tackle going into his 5th season. Mixon is dependable in that he doesn't turn the ball over and is likely to be healthy for at least 17 of 20 games that the Bengals' Starters should be playing. $30M going into this group of three for insurance purposes only. They could have cut all three and taken chances on someone else, but they'd be in a riskier boat and that's one ship they don't want to sail in while they are in "Joe Burrow's Window".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-07-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No it didn't.

Our 2nd best Offensive Lineman. Gone.

Our 3rd best Offensive Lineman. Gone.

Our four year Starter at Left Tackle. Regressed badly.

That's just too much to expect to cover, when one position group gets slammed. I've seen it happen before to other teams. There's just no accounting for that much devastation to one position group.

They added four new Starters, and you're whining because they didn't add four PLUS a 1st Round Offensive Tackle to play RT in case we get a season-ending injury to our newly signed for three years RT?
    Do you know what whining means? Yes I am complaining about their depth because they saw what they did the year before. Yes injuries were a factor, but it is common knowledge you need depth on the offensive line. When you have Asenjo on your team yeah you draft another linemen. My main issue is Dax Hill. He helped nine on a potential Super Bowl team. Dumb pick. I matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 05-07-2023 at 04:17 PM.

Our Super Bowl window is Joe Burrow's career. We've been in back-to-back AFC Championship Games (on the road) and played the Super Bowl on the Road in the opponent's back yard and then lost to the Super Bowl Champions in their back-yard after beating them three times in a row over a one-year period, and damn near made it a fourth.

Don't know if it's been noticed, but today, we are lights out better than we were four months ago, and that can be said of this team over any four-month rolling period of the last 12 periods.

The Brown family who are running this show clearly understand what window they are in. That's why they are willing to greatly overpay for Mixon, Jonah and Collins, all of whom will not earn their salaries next season. But, they are all insurance over getting someone who has a question mark or a learning curve. Collins is a lock to be a great run-blocker, while his improved health should lead him back to being a productive pass-blocker. Jonah is high floor as a Right Tackle going into his 5th season. Mixon is dependable in that he doesn't turn the ball over and is likely to be healthy for at least 17 of 20 games that the Bengals' Starters should be playing. $30M going into this group of three for insurance purposes only. They could have cut all three and taken chances on someone else, but they'd be in a riskier boat and that's one ship they don't want to sail in while they are in "Joe Burrow's Window".
    Could you name a qb recently other than Brady whose whole career was a Super Bowl window because all that is hyperbole nice to say, but doesn’t happen often.

Could you name a qb recently other than Brady whose whole career was a Super Bowl window because all that is hyperbole nice to say, but doesnít happen often.
    Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WVRed; 05-07-2023 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

He missed the playoffs 7 out of 19 years in six more he lost the first game and 3 Super Bowls. He won 23 career playoff games. This does not fit the definition.

Could you name a qb recently other than Brady whose whole career was a Super Bowl window because all that is hyperbole nice to say, but doesn’t happen often.
    You have a lot to look forward to. With your expectations this low, you're going to be pleasantly surprised many times over.

You have a lot to look forward to. With your expectations this low, you're going to be pleasantly surprised many times over.
    Nope , I know Burrow but history tells us there is a very small chance for this statement to be correct.

I get this strategy and somewhat agree with it. Picking Dax Hill and not an offensive linemen cost us in a championship game. You canít redshirt picks when you are in a Super Bowl window. If we had an offensive line we would have at least won one Super Bowl possibly two, but you pick Hill who played about 5 plays a game. The Chiefs were very successful last year getting guys that helped right away,it is why they won the Super Bowl and the reds but I digress.You got to learn to deviate from a plan at times.
    The problem is also knowing Burrow (and others) are going to get expensive so players like Jessie Bates and Trey Hendrickson arent going to be around for the long haul.

Now if they did what you said and picked an offensive lineman, it forces them this year to likely reach for Brian Branch in the first round to replace Jessie Bates where we already now have a second year Dax Hill waiting to take his place. Next year Murphy will likely take Hendricksons.

The Chiefs also had an extra first round pick to play with from trading Tyreek Hill. Id argue that their late round picks made more of an impact than their first. We had several players drafted who had impacts just not on the oline.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-08-2023)

We have to hope they did better than in 2015-16 with this philosophy. Better coaching is a big key.

Peyton Manning lost his first playoff game nine times while making the playoffs 14 times and was 14-14 in the playoffs. Patrick Mahomes I will givenn bb you but his career had got a long way to go. Maybe we consider Super Bowl window something different. These are great qbs but no I wouldn’t say they had a chance to win a SB every year.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-07-2023)

The problem is also knowing Burrow (and others) are going to get expensive so players like Jessie Bates and Trey Hendrickson arent going to be around for the long haul.

Now if they did what you said and picked an offensive lineman, it forces them this year to likely reach for Brian Branch in the first round to replace Jessie Bates where we already now have a second year Dax Hill waiting to take his place. Next year Murphy will likely take Hendricksons.

The Chiefs also had an extra first round pick to play with from trading Tyreek Hill. Id argue that their late round picks made more of an impact than their first. We had several players drafted who had impacts just not on the oline.

They got Battle who will be better than Dax Hill and a better fit for their defense because he ran the secondary at Alabama something Bates did. Dax Hill had trouble being in position all year. There is also free agency. I like the Miles pick because he will contribute this year. Thinking a year a head will never get you a Super Bowl. As I said before look at the Chiefs they filled their holes when they actually needed to be filled. You can plan for the future and still make moves to put you over the top. The Bengals never make that move. The Bengals already showed they wonít pay safeties so we get him for 4 years most likely. If you donít value safety why get them in the first round where he gets the highest pay. I hope he is great but imo it was a bad pick then and still is.

Turn Off Ads?