Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-7-23 Reds vs White Sox 4:10 PM

Re: 5-7-23 Reds vs White Sox 4:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Fraley could have DH. No excuse when you always play the Lefty Righty thing even if it means sitting TJ when he’s proven to be at least good enough to hit lefties.
    If he’s banged up why take the chance of making the injury worse?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Tyler Stephenson is so overrated (including by people like me who touted how good he was entering the season). He has no power -- which is crazy for a man his size -- and just completely killed that first inning. Kopech had zero control. Already a run in. Two on, no outs. 3-1 count on Stephenson.

He swings at a ball up and in that would have been ball 4 obviously. It was not even close. He walks there, it's bases loaded, no outs, already a run in.

Then he takes a pitch right down the middle on 3-2 for a strikeout. Killed the inning.

He's average at best, especially when you consider the fact they have to baby him and only have him catch 1/3 of the time. Need to carry a third catcher to help baby him. I've been in his camp for his entire career. I've soured on him. Perhaps unfair on my part. We will find out.
    Largely a singles hitter who's an average catcher at best. Putting him at 1st blocks better players in the minors it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    There is 2 others that qualify as 'someone else'. They are in AAA.
    Agree but I think they’re trying to get them more AAA bats. I’d bring up TJ Hopkins. He has some power and is an OFer.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    If he’s banged up why take the chance of making the injury worse?
    Bell said he could play today. So make him the DH if he can or else don’t say he could. I’m going by what Bell said. That’s why you have the DH. It sure in the heck isn’t for Newman. It’s the equivalent of having Doug Flynn be your DH.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Largely a singles hitter who's an average catcher at best. Putting him at 1st blocks better players in the minors it seems.
    yeah, i was fully in the "give TySteve a long-term extension" camp. now? not so much. if he was a catcher who caught almost every day and was excellent defensively (molina in his prime) i could live with him being a judy (not that molina was a judy, just saying). but stephenson is equal parts average defensively/catches less than half the games ... and *is* a judy.

i'm fine with the reds keeping him while he's still under team control. but definitely do not sign him to any type of big-money extension. and ps: him not being able to catch 2/3rds of the games will not get better with time. it will get worse.

Neither starting pitcher has it today. The White Sox are the only team taking advantage of it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-07-2023)

Went south for Ashcraft quick. Looked great in the top of the 1st... not he looks shook.

I don't expect anything but maybe around 8-10 wins each from the young SPs this year.

this game is over early

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Agree but I think they’re trying to get them more AAA bats. I’d bring up TJ Hopkins. He has some power and is an OFer.
    If Ramos continues to nose dive that would be an option.

I guess ash had to have an off day at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is actually depressing news. It reminds me that the NL Central is wide open this year, and the Reds could have contended if they tried.
    They certainly could have. With just a minimum of effort, especially having legitimate 4 and 5 starters, this is a division they could have competed in.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-07-2023)

Something less than Gold Glove work in Right field by Myers there

17. Likes:

mth123 (05-07-2023)

reds should have been the ones to put a large number on the board in a recent inning, but ended up being the pale hose. shows how one AB can completely change the trajectory of an inning.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yeah, i was fully in the "give TySteve a long-term extension" camp. now? not so much. if he was a catcher who caught almost every day and was excellent defensively (molina in his prime) i could live with him being a judy (not that molina was a judy, just saying). but stephenson is equal parts average defensively/catches less than half the games ... and *is* a judy.

i'm fine with the reds keeping him while he's still under team control. but definitely do not sign him to any type of big-money extension. and ps: him not being able to catch 2/3rds of the games will not get better with time. it will get worse.
    He’s not worth having to use two roster spots for. He needs to only catch and get better at it.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-07-2023)

Myers making a business decision going after that ball.

Turn Off Ads?