Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds calling up Matt McLain

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds calling up Matt McLain

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Anything over 20 HR for McLain would be great. 30 would be outstanding. 40-50? Dude isn't Aaron Judge lol. Most of his offensive value will likely be in the OBP and speed aspect of his game the power is a bonus IMO. i'd like to see him up there in the lineup hitting behind India.
    Dudes be out here casually predicting him to be prime A-Rod lol

2. Likes:

fondfoat (05-16-2023),Tom Servo (05-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Last year the league average SS had a batting line of .250/.306/.387. If McLain can do that it's a win for the Reds. I'm hoping for more, but even a .750 OPS at short would be huge.

5. Likes:

757690 (05-15-2023),CaiGuy (05-15-2023),fondfoat (05-16-2023),Ky Fried Redleg (05-15-2023),mth123 (05-15-2023),Old school 1983 (05-15-2023),Ron Madden (05-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I expect him to play well. League usually pumps fastballs to rookies first couple weeks.
    When he proves he can hit it. League will adjust. Who will be the first to turn on him when he struggles?
    Hopefully no one but it will probably happen. I'm just ready for this youth movement to begin. If they struggle, they struggle. It will more fun watching the kids struggle and grow than it is watching Newman and Ramos struggle, imo. We're not gonna win championships this season so, I say. let's watch these kids see what they can do on the big stage.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-15-2023 at 12:39 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

“The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

8. Likes:

757690 (05-15-2023)

How soon before he becomes "Die Hard" Matt McLain?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    How soon before he becomes "Die Hard" Matt McLain?
    Now. Lol

12. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (05-15-2023)

From Goldsmith:

Matt McLain, who will wear #9, is officially called up to Reds. TJ Friedl to the 10-day IL (left oblique strain) and Joey Votto to the 60-day IL to create room on the roster.

Brandon Williamson is in Colorado on the taxi squad.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-15-2023)

Holy cow, the neuroses flowing through this thread! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Last year the league average SS had a batting line of .250/.306/.387. If McLain can do that it's a win for the Reds. I'm hoping for more, but even a .750 OPS at short would be huge.

I'd like a SS that makes defensive plays too. If He can do that it's a win as well

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    McClain is the love child of Denny McLain and John McCain
    Name:  IMG_0706.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  86.5 KB
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

19. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-16-2023),cumberlandreds (05-15-2023)

We will finally get to start seeing these super duper minor leaguers at the big league level. I hope for the Reds sake and our own as fans they are as good as billed. This generation of fans, more than any, needs them to be better than average to give them hope that this franchise can be relevant once again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They call me "chef"

Matt McLaine = Grimace. Please tell Sadak.

I did not see this coming.

Didn't think the REDS were willing to go this route this early in the season. I truly expected it to be July 1st for McClain.

Maybe they are actually watching the games and seeing the effort these players are making and are willing to give them some help with the rash of injuries that just occurred.

You don't want every good prospect on the same timeline because they then all become financially eligible regarding their tiers of pay at the same time, too, and that sets up for financial disaster.

But, now that they have made the commitment to one, there's little reason now not to add another. CES may be joining the party very soon.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    We will finally get to start seeing these super duper minor leaguers at the big league level. I hope for the Reds sake and our own as fans they are as good as billed. This generation of fans, more than any, needs them to be better than average to give them hope that this franchise can be relevant once again.
    I hope so too, but I also hope Joe Cool Fan is reasonable and realistic with these guys. Too often we see guys fail to live up to the unrealistic fan expectations and then they turn on a guy.

I remember Adam Dunn putting up Barry Bonds numbers in the minors in 2001. Then fans turned on the guy when he couldn't quite replicate that in the majors, despite still being otherwise a very solid regular and a feared power hitter. And of course the Dunn threads on this board are legendary. That cycle then repeated itself with Jay Bruce after his minor league numbers in 2007 and especially 2008.

I'm a proponent for Votto going to Cooperstown, but people still rail on him.

If all four of the heralded Louisville prospects merely turn out be "solid regulars" I'll still be quite satisfied.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-15-2023 at 01:33 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

24. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-15-2023),Old school 1983 (05-15-2023),RedForLife (05-15-2023),Revering4Blue (05-15-2023),Ron Madden (05-15-2023),Roy Tucker (05-15-2023),StRedlegs900 (05-16-2023),westofyou (05-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I hope so too, but I also hope Joe Cool Fan is reasonable and realistic with these guys. Too often we see guys fail to live up to the unrealistic fan expectations and then they turn on a guy.

I remember Adam Dunn putting up Barry Bonds numbers in the minors in 2001. Then fans turned on the guy when he couldn't quite replicate that in the majors, despite still being otherwise a very solid regular and a feared power hitter. And of course the Dunn threads on this board are legendary. That cycle then repeated itself with Jay Bruce after his minor league numbers in 2007 and especially 2008.

I'm a proponent for Votto going to Cooperstown, but people still rail on him.

If all four of the heralded Louisville prospects merely turn out be "solid regulars" I'll still be quite satisfied.
    You forgot Reggie Sanders. Good player. Reds fans hated him because he wasn't the star they were hoping for.

Turn Off Ads?