Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hector Rodriguez

Hector Rodriguez

I figured it was time for this guy to get his own thread.

After a very weak April (.185/.290/.389) he has exploded in May (.381/.422/.643).

He has cut his K rate down a lot: April was 14/54 (26%) and May was 7/42 (17%).

The main wart I see is his BB rate... yes he had 3 walks in 42 ABs which is a respectable 7% rate but then you see that those three walks all came from the same game.... but then 3 of his 7 Ks came from one game as well.

His full season OPS have bee .848, .908 and the current .846 (but 1.065 in May). I believe the April was the aberration and that going forward this guy will consistently OPS over .900.

Methinks if we redid the Redszone prospect poll today, this guy would probably be the biggest mover, from his current ranking of 39 to somewhere in the top 20.

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-17-2023),Old school 1983 (05-16-2023),Tom Servo (05-16-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hector Rodriguez

He's been on a very hot streak of late. He looked lost early on. He's another free swinger that hits ball well outside the zone hard and seems to miss ones down the middle. He's adjusted and is hot right now for sure.

To the "list" of prospects. Keep an eye on a forgotten player on that team. Yerlin Confidan has been looking good after a nagging injury took away most of last season. He could be a big surprise on the positive side down there as well.

HR only went 1-5 last night, but it was a triple and it was enough to keep his now 13 game hit streak alive.

Hector Rodriguez named Florida State League Player of the Month for May!

https://www.milb.com/daytona/news/he...-month-for-may

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-11-2023),UKFlounder (06-06-2023)

After a slow start in April, Hector won May player of the month with an OPS of 1.006

In June, his OPS was 1.027

In July his OPS is .994 so far.

A .033 variance between all three months. That is some amazing consistency.

Among players with at least 70 at bats, He leads his team in batting average, runs scored, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, slugging percentage and of course OPS. He is also second on the team in stolen bases and RBI. His K rate of 21% and walk rate of 7.5% aren't stellar but not all that concerning either.

He also leads the FSL with his .947 season OPS (well ahead of #2) despite an abysmal (for him) April where he OPSd only .679.

What else does he need to show at this level?

Is it his age (19 years and 3 months) or defense keeping him there?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    After a slow start in April, Hector won May player of the month with an OPS of 1.006

In June, his OPS was 1.027

In July his OPS is .994 so far.

A .033 variance between all three months. That is some amazing consistency.

Among players with at least 70 at bats, He leads his team in batting average, runs scored, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, slugging percentage and of course OPS. He is also second on the team in stolen bases and RBI. His K rate of 21% and walk rate of 7.5% aren't stellar but not all that concerning either.

He also leads the FSL with his .947 season OPS (well ahead of #2) despite an abysmal (for him) April where he OPSd only .679.

What else does he need to show at this level?

Is it his age (19 years and 3 months) or defense keeping him there?
    It's his age. And Krall hinted that some Tortuga players would be moving on after the draft.

I suspect he'll be number one on that list (with Jorge a possible #2 and Cade Hunter #3).

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's his age. And Krall hinted that some Tortuga players would be moving on after the draft.

I suspect he'll be number one on that list (with Jorge a possible #2 and Cade Hunter #3).
    And they will have no trouble back filling from the ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    And they will have no trouble back filling from the ACL.
    The ACL kids have really shown out so far this year, as have the young guns (for the most part) in Daytona.

Mix those guys with the pitching staff in Dayton (which is also pretty young), and you've got a blend of real help in the lower minors.

Just among those 20 and below, you've got several guys who are playing like top 100 prospects:

- Chase Petty
    - Jose Acuna
    - Alfredo Duno
    - Sal Stewart
    - Victor Jorge
    - Edwin Arroyo
    - Carlos Sanchez
    - Hector Rodriguez
    - Leonardo Balcazar
    - Donovan Antonia
    - Luis Reyes
    - Esmith Pineda
    - Jose Serrano
    - Alfredo Alcantara
    - Yael Romero
    - Rafhlmil Torres
    - Yeycol Soriano
    - Enmanuel Talavera

Obviously, not all of these guys will work out, but they're young and productive so far. Couldn't ask for much more than that, honestly.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-06-2023 at 12:48 PM.

Assuming the guys on the big league team aren’t eligible, I have Rodriguez as my number 3 prospect behind CES and Marte and those guys are only ahead of him because of Proximity to the big leagues. Another reason I think they could deal Marte for an arm.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Assuming the guys on the big league team aren’t eligible, I have Rodriguez as my number 3 prospect behind CES and Marte and those guys are only ahead of him because of Proximity to the big leagues. Another reason I think they could deal Marte for an arm.
    I’ll repeat again. Marte is a potential superstar. You do not trade that. This time last year some guys had him ranked about EDLC. He’s 21 and in AAA. Do. Not. Trade.

14. Likes:

Kc61 (07-06-2023),kearns and dunn (07-07-2023),OGB (07-06-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-06-2023),Sea Ray (07-06-2023),SoTxRedsFan (07-06-2023)

They got this guy for Naquin? Krall has made some wild deals.

16. Likes:

JCM11 (07-06-2023),malcontent (07-06-2023),Old school 1983 (07-06-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-06-2023),Tom Servo (07-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    They got this guy for Naquin? Krall has made some wild deals.
    And Acuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’ll repeat again. Marte is a potential superstar. You do not trade that. This time last year some guys had him ranked about EDLC. He’s 21 and in AAA. Do. Not. Trade.
    I don’t see where he’s going to play. The lineup is producing top to bottom with no easy outs and they score plenty of runs. They have no open positions he’d fill and they need pitching. Keeping him as a part time player or as a depth piece is a bigger misuse of his value than trading him for someone they could use would be.

I’m also not convinced he’s a future star. Average hit tool, plus power and averagish across the board in other areas. Very good prospect but not untouchable.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-06-2023 at 01:58 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don’t see where he’s going to play. The lineup is producing top to bottom with no easy outs and they score plenty of runs. They have no open positions he’d fill and they need pitching. Keeping him as a part time player or as a depth piece is a bigger misuse of his value than trading him for someone they could use would be.

I’m also not convinced he’s a future star. Average hit tool, plus power and averagish across the board in other areas. Very good prospect but not untouchable.
    Trade India. Restock the system. Maybe CES flops and you can put him at 1b. Trading prospects of his caliber has a chance to be an all time nine headed move. Especially for a 3-4 starter like you have mentioned in other threads. Just. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Never trade gold unless you are getting gold in return.

Turn Off Ads?