Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Casali just that good?

Re: Casali

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Easy target? We all get that catcher is a defensive first position, but at this point, the guy is hitting like a pitcher and he’s a third catcher. That would be a legit concern for any team, not an easy target based up the culture of Reds fans.
    Yep easy target, that's my opinion. Reds fans continually look at baseball as a hitting game only, that's MY experience as a Reds fan.

There are 47 catchers in MLB this year with more than 40 PAs, 19 have an OPS+ above 100, four of them have less than 90 PAs, including Maile with 46. Across the league you'd be hard pressed to find a team with two guys with an OPS+ over 100. The Reds have a guy averaging 1 PA per game played and people are wondering why he isn't hitting, which is funny to me because he literally is not playing regularly has only started 31% of games and Reds went 10-5 in those games... yet he should be cut because his hitting is bad (and yes it's bad, but is it the teams biggest catching problem?)

2. Likes:

fondfoat (05-25-2023),JCM11 (05-24-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

For me, the more prudent move if you are moving a catcher, you move the guy who is hitting above his baseball card on a 1 year deal (Maile) and be patient with the guy hitting well below his baseball card. We'll see how this all looks when the deadline gets closer because I don't think either of them are going anywhere soon.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Re: Is Casali just that good?

Reds record when each catcher starts behind the plate along with their catcher ERA for the season.

Maile 4-10 ERA 6.18
    Stephenson 6-13 ERA 5.64
    Casali 10-5 ERA 3.38

Clearly the problem is the guy who wins twice as many of his starts behind the plate as he losses. Also this isn't a small sample size because Casali has done this his whole career even with the bad 2018 Reds pitching staff.
    Last edited by JCM11; 05-24-2023 at 10:55 AM.

6. Likes:

fondfoat (05-25-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep easy target, that's my opinion. Reds fans continually look at baseball as a hitting game only, that's MY experience as a Reds fan.

There are 47 catchers in MLB this year with more than 40 PAs, 19 have an OPS+ above 100, four of them have less than 90 PAs, including Maile with 46. Across the league you'd be hard pressed to find a team with two guys with an OPS+ over 100. The Reds have a guy averaging 1 PA per game played and people are wondering why he isn't hitting, which is funny to me because he literally is not playing regularly has only started 31% of games and Reds went 10-5 in those games... yet he should be cut because his hitting is bad (and yes it's bad, but is it the teams biggest catching problem?)
    Not cut, moved. Robinson is 28, Casali is 34. I've actually been pro-Casali over the years, but with Stephenson and Maile both in tow, do they really need a third veteran catcher if they could get some value for him?

I just think that Robinson deserves a shot, as well.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Also this isn't a small sample size because Casali has done this his whole career even with the bad 2018 Reds pitching staff.
    Curious...where do you get your numbers on catcher's ERA?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Not cut, moved. Robinson is 28, Casali is 34. I've actually been pro-Casali over the years, but with Stephenson and Maile both in tow, do they really need a third veteran catcher if they could get some value for him?

And Maile is 32. (A lot of people are under the impression that he is younger.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

mth123 (05-25-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

IF Caseli is dead weight to the Reds why would he be tradable? Robinson is not on the 40-Man, he is essentially the emergency catcher at this juncture. If you lose Casali and replace him with Robinson then you're pretty thin in the emergency catcher situation and don't forget 3/4's of the season is left and last year the Reds ran out of catchers.

12. Likes:

mth123 (05-25-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Chuckie Robinson ain't saving your bacon.

Curt is here to catch, chances are he will get a whole 200 PA's at the most this year. Catching is really a defense first position and across the league it is short on offense and experience.

Of course though a catcher who has a sporadic 50 PA's across a quarter of a season and hasn't hit like Johnny Bench's mother is an easy target for Reds fans who love hitting more than pitching. It's the culture of this franchise's fan base
    Hey, listen, I respect your posts greatly. You are an asset to this board.

But can we please not bring Johnny Bench's mother into this?

Curious...where do you get your numbers on catcher's ERA?
    Baseball Reference click on a player and go over to the Finders and Advanced stats then on the drop down menu under fielding will be the Advanced Stats link.

15. Likes:

malcontent (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Baseball Reference click on a player and go over to the Finders and Advanced stats then on the drop down menu under fielding will be the Advanced Stats link.
    Thanks. I never knew how to access that information. Those numbers are impressive, and consistent over the years. What is he, a pitcher whisperer?

17. Likes:

fondfoat (05-25-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

The Reds Pitching Staff Has Thrown Three Shutouts This Season: Curt Casli Has Been Behind The Plate For All Three !!!

Today was the first game this season that Casali was behind the plate with Hunter Greene Pitching...

Greene pitched 6 innings and the Cubs only put 4 balls in play during those 6 innings !!!
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-26-2023 at 05:26 PM.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023),mhs95_06 (05-29-2023),RED VAN HOT (05-27-2023),UKFlounder (05-26-2023)

The two Lukes always seem paired. Are any of the other starters paired with a catcher?
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Greene no-hits Cubs for six innings to earn 1st win
    It was Greene's first time working with Casali this season.

"We got really familiar in Spring Training together throwing bullpens," said Greene, who is 1-4 with a 4.18 ERA in 11 starts.

"I also worked with him in the offseason a few times too. That’s where our relationship began.

He does a great job. He has experience. A lot of positive reinforcement with him. That helps a lot, especially when a guy is still trying to figure the league out early on."

Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/hunter...no-hit-innings

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Reds Pitching Staff Has Thrown Three Shutouts This Season: Curt Casli Has Been Behind The Plate For All Three !!!

Today was the first game this season that Casali was behind the plate with Hunter Greene Pitching...

Greene pitched 6 innings and the Cubs only put 4 balls in play during those 6 innings !!!
    Not only that, but by my count, the Reds are 11-5 in games that Casali has started. It may be simply a coincidence, but catcher is a defensive position. There are subtleties that are part of the position beyond throwing. He sees the whole field including how the batter sets up in the box. The best managers seem to be former catchers.

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-27-2023),Ron Madden (05-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Not only that, but by my count, the Reds are 11-5 in games that Casali has started. It may be simply a coincidence, but catcher is a defensive position. There are subtleties that are part of the position beyond throwing. He sees the whole field including how the batter sets up in the box. The best managers seem to be former catchers.
    Yes. It is the most under-rated position in baseball and the most difficult decision for fans to intelligently judge a player's impact on a game, a team and a season. There simply aren't statistics that can measure this and there never will be.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?