Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ohio Birth Certificate

Ohio Birth Certificate

Anyone get a copy of their Ohio Birth Certificate lately? I ordered a copy of mine last week ($21.50) and got it yesterday. I was surprised how brief if was-just my parents' names and their states of birth. I was just listed as being born in Ohio. I have a copy of my original certificate which included: parents' age/race/occupation/city of birth (parents'), home address, hospital,marred sttaus, Dr's signature. None of which is on the current certificate. Has anyone used a current one to obtain a driver's license, passport? I requested a copy since I have to renew my driver's license this Fall. Renewing a license in Texas is a major hassle-you have to make an appointment two months in advance just to renew not take a test. Then when you get there you are put in a group of 50 and the processing takes another 2+ hours. Already have a gold star on my current license. Wonder if the DMV will accept the "short form" certificate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio Birth Certificate

I got copies of mine last year and it was an exact copy of the damaged one I have. Which I used to get a copy of my SS Card

It had all the info listed that yours was missing,

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Tough way to find out you’re a clone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

5. Likes:

TRF (05-24-2023)

The Ohio certificates used to have all of that information (before the mid 60's maybe?), mainly because they are very German and love keeping records. But there was a shift to privacy over the years, and unnecessary information was removed. Heck, it wasn't long ago they the Ohio drivers license still had your social security number.

I looked at my younger kids' certificates, they just have the basic info too. They had no problem getting passports. Just make sure it's embossed, which I'm sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The Ohio certificates used to have all of that information (before the mid 60's maybe?), mainly because they are very German and love keeping records. But there was a shift to privacy over the years, and unnecessary information was removed. Heck, it wasn't long ago they the Ohio drivers license still had your social security number.

I looked at my younger kids' certificates, they just have the basic info too. They had no problem getting passports. Just make sure it's embossed, which I'm sure it is.
    You can get both at your local county board, long and short form. I just had to help my father get a long form from downtown Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    You can get both at your local county board, long and short form. I just had to help my father get a long form from downtown Hamilton.
    Why did he need a long form? I don't remember there even being fields for things like occupation and race when my kids were born. We had to give the social security numbers (in cases of child support) but they don't appear on the certificate, so I don't think a long form has been an option for a while. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Why did he need a long form? I don't remember there even being fields for things like occupation and race when my kids were born. We had to give the social security numbers (in cases of child support) but they don't appear on the certificate, so I don't think a long form has been an option for a while. Just curious.
    I have no idea why he wanted/needed it. Shows the hospital born at, doctor, parents home address, number of previous children by parents, time of birth, etc.

I have no idea why he wanted/needed it. Shows the hospital born at, doctor, parents home address, number of previous children by parents, time of birth, etc.
    Yep, that's what mine says

My father was a student at OU and the list the apartments on the east green as his home

Ok, then he must be over 60 or so. No one asks for that stuff anymore.

It's funny, in NH, I didn't even get a birth certificate until I was four, and even then it was only because my older brother needed one when he started sub-primary. Every state is different I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    Anyone get a copy of their Ohio Birth Certificate lately? I ordered a copy of mine last week ($21.50) and got it yesterday. I was surprised how brief if was-just my parents' names and their states of birth. I was just listed as being born in Ohio. I have a copy of my original certificate which included: parents' age/race/occupation/city of birth (parents'), home address, hospital,marred sttaus, Dr's signature. None of which is on the current certificate. Has anyone used a current one to obtain a driver's license, passport? I requested a copy since I have to renew my driver's license this Fall. Renewing a license in Texas is a major hassle-you have to make an appointment two months in advance just to renew not take a test. Then when you get there you are put in a group of 50 and the processing takes another 2+ hours. Already have a gold star on my current license. Wonder if the DMV will accept the "short form" certificate.
    I'm in TX also and had to get mine from Indiana. My renewal is a year out so I decided to get mine early. I had forgotten about the appointment part and how long that takes.

TX can be a PITA at times.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?