Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NFL Thread

Re: RIP Jim Brown

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree with you on both counts. However, I can recall an interview one time with Bob Gibson where he somewhat denied being a headhunter as a pitcher, noting that Don Drysdale hit more batters than he did. I looked up their stats and found that Gibson was correct: In 3883 innings pitched in his career, Gibson hit 102 batters. In 3432 innings pitched, Drysdale hit 154 batters.
    Gibby once drilled Pete Lacock in the ribs with a fastball in an "Old Timers" game in retaliation for Pete hitting a grand slam off of him in his last inning he ever pitched in the Majors...15 YEARS EARLIER !. Even when they coached together in St Louis , Gibson wouldn't speak to Lacock. Gibson and Drysdale were both mean, mean ballers.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-22-2023 at 01:21 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree with you on both counts. However, I can recall an interview one time with Bob Gibson where he somewhat denied being a headhunter as a pitcher, noting that Don Drysdale hit more batters than he did. I looked up their stats and found that Gibson was correct: In 3883 innings pitched in his career, Gibson hit 102 batters. In 3432 innings pitched, Drysdale hit 154 batters.
    Being less of a head hunter than Don Drysdale doesn't really mean much

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Being less of a head hunter than Don Drysdale doesn't really mean much
    Got that right, Sea. Drysdale would have thrown at his own mother. I'm surprised he didn't toss one at the head of Alice when he appeared on the Brady Bunch.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-22-2023 at 02:32 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-22-2023),moewan (05-23-2023),RedsBaron (05-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Got that right, Sea. Drysdale would have thrown at his own mother. I'm surprised he didn't toss one at the head of Alice when he appeared on the Brady Bunch.
    You dont mess with Ann B Davis, she would have charged the mound and kickes his butt. How do you think she kept six kids, Sam, and a useless Mrs Brady all in line.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-23-2023)

Re: 2023 NFL Thread

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ay-night-games

So basically NFL can flex TNF games with 28 days notice to teams. As if there weren’t enough bad football on Thursday.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ay-night-games

So basically NFL can flex TNF games with 28 days notice to teams. As if there weren’t enough bad football on Thursday.
    I don’t love it, but I think the idea is to try and not have bad football on Thursday late in the season.

So no one can make plans to go to an NFL game in weeks 13-17 unless they have the flexibility to go to that game on either Sunday or Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    So no one can make plans to go to an NFL game in weeks 13-17 unless they have the flexibility to go to that game on either Sunday or Thursday?
    In theory, but this season as least only Week 16 could realistically be moved.

Week 13 is Dallas Seattle. That’s not getting moved.
    Week 14 is Pats Steelers. Even if one or both is bad I don’t see that getting moved.
    Week 15 is Chargers Raiders. Maybe? But a month out that seems like it’ll be fine.
    Week 16 is Rams Saints and that will probably be awful. It’s also the week of Christmas, so maybe they won’t want to mess with that due to travel plans.
    Week 17 is Jets Browns. That’s probably a wild card playoff fight or at least will look like one a month out.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-23-2023)

NFL owners have approved a proposal to spot the ball at the 25-yard line on a fair catch of a kickoff made inside the 25. It's a 1-year trial for now.

Special teams coordinators and players around the league were against this. It's happening, anyway.
    https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/s...32473441050624

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I don’t love it, but I think the idea is to try and not have bad football on Thursday late in the season.
    That's unavoidable. Now, they'll take important end-of-season games and turn it into a game based on luck where the better team would have won had it been played with normal days rest.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    You dont mess with Ann B Davis, she would have charged the mound and kickes his butt. How do you think she kept six kids, Sam, and a useless Mrs Brady all in line.
    Contrary to popular belief, Alice occasionally enjoyed taking one high, hard and inside. I mean, she dated a guy who packed around huge meat all day long, for goodness sakes. She certainly seemed excited by Drysdale's appearance. You go, Alice!!!
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-23-2023 at 10:27 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

17. Likes:

moewan (05-27-2023),Revering4Blue (05-23-2023)

DeAndre Hopkins released by the Cardinals.

Gonna call it now, Buffalo.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Alice occasionally enjoyed taking one high, hard and inside. I mean, she dated a guy who packed around huge meat all day long, for goodness sakes. She certainly seemed excited by Drysdale's appearance. You go, Alice!!!
    The Brady Bunch Movie

Mr Brady, "Sam, what are you doing here"

Sam, "I was delevering some meat"

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    The Brady Bunch Movie

Mr Brady, "Sam, what are you doing here"

Sam, "I was delevering some meat"

There ya go. Ann B. may have been a virgin but, Alice ... oh hell no!!!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Jimmy G failed his physical with the Raiders. They can now cut him without any money against the cap.

So what are the odds Tom Brady is the QB in Las Vegas this year?

Turn Off Ads?