Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly time?

Re: Elly time?

Elly was 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts last night. Despite the spectacular moments, he may still be working on things. I want to see him but only if he's really professionally ready. He is just 21. I don't want to see him come up and struggle and have to go back down like Barrero.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideRed View Post
    The Reds have not won a home playoff game in their current stadiums 21 year history. And have not won a playoff series in 28 years.

The Reds are ruled by 3 decades of morons
    The Reds have not won a home playoff game in their current stadiums 21 year history. And have not won a playoff series in 28 years.

The Reds are ruled by 3 decades of morons
    Nice cherry pick of limiting it to just 'home' playoff victories. Is there less value to a win earned on the road? That said, they have not won a playoff series in that time so they have certainly experienced a long period of ultimate failure. If you want to label them as having weak owners/leaders as compared to other franchises, I can absolutely see your point. Labeling them 'morons' is not only uncalled for, but also simply wrong. Lack of ultimate success in a competitive environment is not indicative of a lack of intelligence.

Some things are harder to do than others. Especially when there are others that are actively working to cause you to fail in your goal.

About 98% of athletes that attempt to win Olympic medals never earn a single one... and many of them dedicate half their lives to this quest. By the syllogism you propose, they are all morons.
    The bottom 10% of each Princeton graduating class has spent their entire college career competing and losing to their classmates. Does this make them idiots?

I have had the privilege of teaching hundreds of the best and brightest young men and women our country has produced at West Point, Columbia and Penn. I mention this only to provide you my frame of reference for evaluating if someone is a 'moron.'

I have also had the privilege of meeting multiple Reds GMs and assistants. I found every single one of them to have well above average intelligence. Before you ask, I have never met a CEO or owner so I cannot comment on their intellect.

(One truism I have observed among adults... the first person to refer to someone else as stupid is frequently the most mentally challenged person in the room (or they are a child). It's not always true, of course, but I promise it will affect how others perceive you. I provide this for you to use or discard however you see fit.)

4. Likes:

TRF (06-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Nice cherry pick of limiting it to just 'home' playoff victories. Is there less value to a win earned on the road? That said, they have not won a playoff series in that time so they have certainly experienced a long period of ultimate failure. If you want to label them as having weak owners/leaders as compared to other franchises, I can absolutely see your point. Labeling them 'morons' is not only uncalled for, but also simply wrong. Lack of ultimate success in a competitive environment is not indicative of a lack of intelligence.

Some things are harder to do than others. Especially when there are others that are actively working to cause you to fail in your goal.

About 98% of athletes that attempt to win Olympic medals never earn a single one... and many of them dedicate half their lives to this quest. By the syllogism you propose, they are all morons.
    The bottom 10% of each Princeton graduating class has spent their entire college career competing and losing to their classmates. Does this make them idiots?

I have had the privilege of teaching hundreds of the best and brightest young men and women our country has produced at West Point, Columbia and Penn. I mention this only to provide you my frame of reference for evaluating if someone is a 'moron.'

I have also had the privilege of meeting multiple Reds GMs and assistants. I found every single one of them to have well above average intelligence. Before you ask, I have never met a CEO or owner so I cannot comment on their intellect.

(One truism I have observed among adults... the first person to refer to someone else as stupid is frequently the most mentally challenged person in the room (or they are a child). It's not always true, of course, but I promise it will affect how others perceive you. I provide this for you to use or discard however you see fit.)
    They have been one of the 3-5 worst teams in baseball for 30 years

Phil Castellini and his dad are baseball morons.

So was Wayne krivsky and a litany of other nepotism bread losers this team
    Has put in positions of importance.

Fans know it. Mlb knows it. Check the attendance numbers.

Bad contracts. Horrible trades. Miserable record. Pretty poor drafting. No playoff success. Poor player development and general decision making.

I guess you're the only guy who can't see it.

As for waiting to call up EDLC, there is no reason to wait.
    Last edited by EastSideRed; 06-02-2023 at 12:27 PM.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Bad contracts. Horrible trades. Miserable record. Pretty poor drafting. No playoff success. Poor player development and general decision making.

It is hard for me to take all this sunshine pumping.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-02-2023),CySeymour (06-02-2023),NebraskaRed (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023),TRF (06-02-2023)

Krivsky was a damn fine GM that was absolutely hampered by ownership. Excellent at acquiring other team's talent and orchestrated maybe the greatest trade for a rule 5 player in the history of MLB. And yeah, stupid internal power cliques ended that. Jocketty put together some really good teams. JimBo raided CLE for Casey, Krivsky did it again a few years later for BP. I'm hoping Benson is the next in line of plucking talent from Cleveland.

30 is a nice round number. Go back 33 and they win the WS. 94 was an even better team with a season cut short by the strike. 95 NLCS, 99 was literally the birth and reason for Redszone. 2000, Jr. comes ho2010, 2012, 2013, 2020. Playoff appearances.

Joey f'n Votto.

They haven't had the success of larger market teams, but they also are not bereft of it. There are a lot of crappy baseball blogs you can post on that LOVE takes like yours. There are more than a few Reds ones too. Please, help yo self.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

Brisco (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Juan Soto, Ronald Acuna, Fernando Tatis, Vlad Jr., Bo Bichette, Ozzie Albies, Julio Rodriguez, Yordan Alvarez, and Wander Franco all told me to tell you hello.

Really weird we all happened to be in the same Carl's Jr. bathroom, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

- - - Updated - - -
    What's your point on this? Is it that because these players are able to handle the challenge of being brought up quickly, there is no risk in bringing LED up quickly?

Before I go farther I want to eliminate the members of your list that are easily distinguishable from LED. The three sons (Tatis, Vlad and Bichette) have been part of the spotlight and under the microscope their entire lives prior to their MLB debuts. As another poster mentioned, LED was completely unremarkable when the Reds signed him just 5 years ago and even most Reds fans had never heard of him 2 years ago. He has only been a story for less than a year and he currently still plays for half empty stadiums. Simply put, his experience in the spotlight is miniscule compared to the three sons.

Next, my post was arguing that it would have been gross negligence to have brought LED up 3 weeks ago. He currently has only 35 games in AAA... three weeks ago he only had 19 games at AAA.
    Wander Franco had 39 games at AAA before being called up.
    Ronald Acuna had 77 games at AAA.
    Yordan Alvarez had 101 games at AAA.
    Ozzie Albies had 153 games at AAA

So all four of them had more AAA time than LED has had so far, let alone what he had 3 weeks ago. (FYI, Vald had 39 AAA games and Bo had 56)

That pares your list down of nine down to only two players, Juan Soto and Julio Rodrigez. Two players that skipped AAA altogether. Yes, i agree that some players, maybe even most, wont suffer too much from being called up early. But can we agree that at least one in ten could be hurt by the early call up? Here is a list of 10 players the author believe suffered dramatically because of an early call up. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-up-too-early. Note that this author focuses on the presence of obvious flaws that were not fixed before the call up. While LED has developed a much better eye, as another poster has stated, he still has a bad habit of chasing pitches. Three weeks ago this was even more pronounced. While i would not oppose a call up today, I can also see the wisdom of spedning a few more weeks cleaning up this habit without the added pressure of the MLB spotlight.

Finally, given that six of your nine young superstars were only called up after they had more time in AAA than LED currently has, let alone what he had 3 weeks ago, I think supports the conclusion that calling him up before now would go against the conventional wisdom.

Lineup is out and there's no Elly, so this thread has probably run it's course.

Elly Time is sometime in the future. A future where robots have taken over and he is humanity's last hope.

12. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (06-02-2023),membengal (06-02-2023),NebraskaRed (06-02-2023),Powder River (06-02-2023)

Votto posted a picture of himself on Instagram driving a bus down to Louisville (seriously).

So, that's about the only thing of note for today

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-02-2023),goreds2 (06-02-2023),Powder River (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

Ah, another smartest guy in the room who signed up just to tell us who have been here for decades that the Reds are bad, like we don't already know.

What would we do without you.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-02-2023),mth123 (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Krivsky was a damn fine GM that was absolutely hampered by ownership. Excellent at acquiring other team's talent and orchestrated maybe the greatest trade for a rule 5 player in the history of MLB. And yeah, stupid internal power cliques ended that. Jocketty put together some really good teams. JimBo raided CLE for Casey, Krivsky did it again a few years later for BP. I'm hoping Benson is the next in line of plucking talent from Cleveland.

30 is a nice round number. Go back 33 and they win the WS. 94 was an even better team with a season cut short by the strike. 95 NLCS, 99 was literally the birth and reason for Redszone. 2000, Jr. comes ho2010, 2012, 2013, 2020. Playoff appearances.

Joey f'n Votto.

They haven't had the success of larger market teams, but they also are not bereft of it. There are a lot of crappy baseball blogs you can post on that LOVE takes like yours. There are more than a few Reds ones too. Please, help yo self.
    Bereft. They've made the playoffs three times in the past 27 seasons, losing all three of those series with a combined record of 2-7. Haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. Bereft.

I was a Reds fan until reading all of this new information. Thank you for this.

Sadly, this will be my last post on Redszone.

19. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-02-2023),mth123 (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I was a Reds fan until reading all of this new information. Thank you for this.

Sadly, this will be my last post on Redszone.
    Shut the site down. It was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 06-02-2023 at 02:04 PM.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-02-2023),cumberlandreds (06-02-2023),NebraskaRed (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Votto posted a picture of himself on Instagram driving a bus down to Louisville (seriously).

So, that's about the only thing of note for today
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs_nzECO8cD/?hl=en
    Verified
    Heading down to Louisville for a few stops.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

By not bringing him or CES up for the Milwaukee series, they’re clearly waiting for Super 2. When are they safely in the clear for that- next weekend?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You want me to leave the Reds board I joined today, cause the reds have been a laughingstock for 3 decades? Ill stick around

Turn Off Ads?