Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly time?

Re: Elly time?

It really all depends on what they do with India. For now I think they'll put Elly at 3B and keep McLain/India up the middle.

Next year, who knows - Marte further complicates things this time next season.

Versatile defensive players like Steer, Senzel and Barrero help fill in the gaps. These are good problems to have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Easiest way to get EDLC into the big league lineup is 3b at the moment. Put him there days Stephenson DHs. Don’t rock the boat too much with the lineup. If guys need moved, do it in the off-season. When Stephenson catches DH India and do McLain and EDLC up the middle with Senzel at 3b
    But the defense up the middle has been terrible. The boat needs rocking. Moving India off of 2B to 3b is a significant upgrade. Not sure I understand the idea of not rocking the boat when change in that area is exactly what is called for. EDLC at SS and McLain at 2B and one of the team's major problems is fixed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-30-2023),OesterPoster (05-30-2023),Redsfan6272 (05-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Or we could just keep our generational/face of baseball SS at SS.
    All signs are pointing to exactly that. While in Louisville, Elly was at SS and McLain was at 2B. That's a pretty good indication of what will happen a couple months later in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But the defense up the middle has been terrible. The boat needs rocking. Moving India off of 2B to 3b is a significant upgrade. Not sure I understand the idea of not rocking the boat when change in that area is exactly what is called for. EDLC at SS and McLain at 2B and one of the team's major problems is fixed.
    If India is a poor 2B, it's unlikely that 3B is a better position for him.

7. Likes:

IKnowNothing (05-30-2023),Kc61 (05-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    2b is about covering ground and footwork turning a double play. 3B is about reflexes and reactions. There is no reason to assume his weaknesses at 2b would make him a poor 3B. Todd Frazier was a perfectly fine 3B but was terrible when he tried to play on the other side of the field at second.

The up the middle defense is more important. If India is a poor 3B, and I don't think that is an automatic assumption, that defense is less negatively impactful than it is at 2B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He was drafted as a 3rd basemen, how can he be terrible? You don't draft a player that sucks at a position

10. Likes:

Jim (05-30-2023)

2b is about covering ground and footwork turning a double play. 3B is about reflexes and reactions. There is no reason to assume his weaknesses at 2b would make him a poor 3B. Todd Frazier was a perfectly fine 3B but was terrible when he tried to play on the other side of the field at second.

The up the middle defense is more important. If India is a poor 3B, and I don't think that is an automatic assumption, that defense is less negatively impactful than it is at 2B.
    There are significant questions about his arm strength. Plus, it’s not like 3B is a permanent home with CES and Marte (not to mention Steer and Senzel) playing there. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making India the primary DH. Of the glut of young infielders, his offensive track record is by far the longest. He’s also probably the worst defender of the bunch - depending on what we see from CES. Unless and until Stephenson hits enough to warrant time at DH, I think India is the guy.

A lineup with India, Friedl, and McLain getting of base for the likes of EDLC, Steer, CES, and Fraley will be good in a hurry,

12. Likes:

Kc61 (05-30-2023),Roy Tucker (05-30-2023)

I can't wait to read this same discussion a month from now when CES is still in Louisville (and mashing) and Votto is ready to come back off his 20-day rehab stint. It's like 4-D chess.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-30-2023),wally post (05-30-2023)

I don’t disagree, but the team is doing well and there is something to be said for not rocking the boat too. I imagine they will do what they need to get all the bats in the lineup. On the days Stephenson catches I’d have India DH and have EDLC and McLain up the middle. Should work out well until we get a CES appearance

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    There are significant questions about his arm strength. Plus, it’s not like 3B is a permanent home with CES and Marte (not to mention Steer and Senzel) playing there. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making India the primary DH. Of the glut of young infielders, his offensive track record is by far the longest. He’s also probably the worst defender of the bunch - depending on what we see from CES. Unless and until Stephenson hits enough to warrant time at DH, I think India is the guy.

A lineup with India, Friedl, and McLain getting of base for the likes of EDLC, Steer, CES, and Fraley will be good in a hurry,
    I am concerned about his arm at 3rd. We shall see

Baseball America
    @BaseballAmerica
    From
    @jjcoop36
    :

"...every now and then, a prospect comes along where you’re both baffled and blown away at the same time. #Reds shortstop Elly De La Cruz is that kind of prospect."
    If you have Baseball America - here is JJ's piece -

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...rikeout-issue/
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-30-2023)

Personally, I'd base any movement on where you see the team shaking out defensively approx 12 months from now (that allows room for Marte to get his time in AAA and then get a promotion).

EDLC @ SS
    McLain @ 2b
    India @ LF

I'd leave Senzel @ 3b for now, with some CF sprinkled in. He has seemingly found himself after years of injury/struggle, so lets keep that path going for the time being, seems like the injury risk at CF is greater than 3b. India to 3b seems like a potential short term move with LF being his ultimate destination anyways, so why not just go straight there.

Steer stays at 3b behind Senzel and starts at 1b While CES mans 1b or DH depending on where Steer is at that day when he comes up.

The Reds have given the Vets thru Memorial day to "figure things out". Its time to start the churn, bring up EDLC and CES and see if they can't a make a push or at least get to a solid place to start off next season.

That gives you 12 months to figure out if Marte or Senzel is your 3b and if one of the 2 needs to move to RF (Marte) or CF (Senzel)
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

20. Likes:

Powder River (05-30-2023),Sea Ray (05-30-2023)

I once favored India at third but am dubious now. He doesn’t throw well, he doesn’t move that well in the infield. As Reds build this club, I’d opt for someone who has more defensive ability at third. Of course India previously was a third baseman so maybe Reds will decide he does have those skills.

India and CES could alternate first base and DH. India potentially could play LF.

The worst thing Reds can do is give way to expedience on defense. They are building the ballclub, let’s be very good defensively, especially up the middle and in the infield.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-30-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Redszone Myth - India doesn't have the arm for 3B. Truth, India was a 3B throughout his minor league career and his arm was perfectly adequate.

Redszone Myth2 - Nick Senzel hits better as a 3B than he does in CF. Truth, Senzel lifetime OPS in CF .680. Senzel OPS this year at 3B .679.

Just think we should be discussing with the facts instead of the narrative that some one put out there.

23. Likes:

757690 (05-30-2023)

Redszone Myth - India doesn't have the arm for 3B. Truth, India was a 3B throughout his minor league career and his arm was perfectly adequate.

Redszone Myth2 - Nick Senzel hits better as a 3B than he does in CF. Truth, Senzel lifetime OPS in CF .680. Senzel OPS this year at 3B .679.

Just think we should be discussing with the facts instead of the narrative that some one put out there.
    How many games does Nick have at 3b though lifetime...25 complete games at 3rd I would like to see how he does over a full season before dispelling that myth.

Personally I would move Senzel to more of a super sub role which would be around 110-120 games OF and IF
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?