Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly time?

Re: Elly time?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I can’t agree, I think the pre-deadline period is the logical and likely time when Reds will open several active roster spots.

It may all be minor trades like a Wil Myers. But it also may surprise us. Just spitballing, but would Reds trade Spencer Steer, who may not have a starting infield role in the future? Probably not, but who knows.

And even if the trades are minor, it all fits pretty well. Give the guys a little more time to work on things at AAA. And then in July actively open spots for them.

I know some fans hate this thinking they want the promotions immediately. But my sense is that’s what Reds are thinking.
    If they need to wait for developmental reasons, that’s fine. Holding them back until the day we trade Wil Myers for a bag of stale peanuts is arbitrary.

2. Likes:

JCM11 (05-21-2023),LeatherPants (05-21-2023),membengal (05-21-2023),Old school 1983 (05-21-2023),pahster (05-24-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2023),Slyder (05-27-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-21-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I can’t agree, I think the pre-deadline period is the logical and likely time when Reds will open several active roster spots.

It may all be minor trades like a Wil Myers. But it also may surprise us. Just spitballing, but would Reds trade Spencer Steer, who may not have a starting infield role in the future? Probably not, but who knows.

And even if the trades are minor, it all fits pretty well. Give the guys a little more time to work on things at AAA. And then in July actively open spots for them.

I know some fans hate this thinking they want the promotions immediately. But my sense is that’s what Reds are thinking.
    The reds aren’t getting anything for Myers.

Trading Steer would be stupid.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

0-2 Count (05-21-2023),Old school 1983 (05-21-2023),Ron Madden (05-21-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The reds aren’t getting anything for Myers.

Trading Steer would be stupid.
    What did the Reds get for Tommy Pham? He wasn’t doing well but was traded at deadline. Opened a roster spot.

As for Steer, he might have very good trade value. You’re not going to acquire good pitching for Henry Ramos or Kevin Newman. Have to trade somebody. If Steer’s future with Reds is utility, isn’t a good young pitcher worth more to them?

Package Senzel, Steer and Barrero, open up three roster spots for EDLC et al, get a decent pre-arb MLB pitcher in return. Or Senzel, Steer and a younger type prospect. Or add in a guy like TJ Hopkins. Some deal built around Steer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-21-2023 at 09:45 AM.

What did the Reds get for Tommy Pham? He wasn’t doing well but was traded at deadline. Opened a roster spot.

As for Steer, he might have very good trade value. You’re not going to acquire good pitching for Henry Ramos or Kevin Newman. Have to trade somebody. If Steer’s future with Reds is utility, isn’t a good young pitcher worth more to them?
    Pham looked like Babe Ruth compared to Myers. Even when Pham wasn’t hitting he was hitting the ball hard. Myers looks significantly worse.

Why would it be? They have Kevin Newman.

Pham looked like Babe Ruth compared to Myers. Even when Pham wasn’t hitting he was hitting the ball hard. Myers looks significantly worse.
    First, I agree that no one is blocking EDLC or CES right now. The Reds could make room for them if they wanted to.

As for Myers, he is untradeable right now, but if he has a hot streak, the Reds could get something for him at the deadline. They got two decent prospects for Naquin, so anything is possible. I think the Reds are hoping Myers has that hot streak, and think it’s worth waiting on, even if it doesn’t happen.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Doesn’t matter. Someone will take Myers off your hands. He has a major league hitting track record. Some team will want a veteran RHH off the bench.

Once the trade action begins, lots of minor players are shifted around as teams try to add depth.

Point is simply timing. That’s when I expect a lot of player movement and a number of call ups.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-21-2023 at 09:49 AM.

Doesn’t matter. Someone will take Myers off your hands. He has a major league hitting track record. Some team will want a veteran RHH off the bench.

Once the trade action begins, lots of minor players are shifted around as teams try to add depth.
    Doubt

Doubt
    Even if it’s a DFA, I think that will be the timing. Not arguing that Myers will bring much return. Just saying Reds are maybe waiting for pre-deadline period to make their moves, get some return back in most cases, and then we’ll see a number of prospects advance.

I could see Maile get moved at the deadline, as well. He's on a 1 year deal and you could play out the string using the AAA shuttle if you need a 3rd catcher at any point.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I could see Maile get moved at the deadline, as well. He's on a 1 year deal and you could play out the string using the AAA shuttle if you need a 3rd catcher at any point.
    I’d try to extend Maile unless you’d be able to get a surprisingly good deal for him. He plays great defense and the bat seems to have more pop than expected. That’s at least a good backup catcher. Plus it’d give you some Stephenson insurance. I think his struggles are injury related not skill related, but a Maile extension would give the Reds a bit of a hedge there.

At this point I think the best course of action would to be phantom DL Stephenson and Myers and get EDLC and CES up here. Especially if India is out. Give it a trial run without him to gauge what trading him for a pitcher might look like. Plus the team really needs a big time power infusion.

Not sure what 40 man moves I’d make. But I don’t like anyone would miss Newman or Ramos.

CES is batting .375 still. Whose leg does that guy need to hump to get called up?
    If humping legs gets you to the majors, my Labrador Stuart will be in the bigs before he turns 1. His birthday is right after the trade deadline so the timing checks out as well.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

17. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2023),Old school 1983 (05-21-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2023),westofyou (05-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    At this point I think the best course of action would to be phantom DL Stephenson and Myers and get EDLC and CES up here. Especially if India is out. Give it a trial run without him to gauge what trading him for a pitcher might look like. Plus the team really needs a big time power infusion.

Not sure what 40 man moves I’d make. But I don’t like anyone would miss Newman or Ramos.
    Doubtful it’s going to happen that way, Old School. They won’t be making decisions based on a couple of weeks’ trial run. They won’t be bringing EDLC and CES up for a mere trial run.

These things are largely pre-conceived. They have a timetable in mind for the prospects or at least a notion of “readiness” to be met. They probably have a plan for India in mind. They’ll adhere to this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-21-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Doubtful it’s going to happen that way, Old School. They won’t be making decisions based on a couple of weeks’ trial run. They won’t be bringing EDLC and CES up for a mere trial run.

These things are largely pre-conceived. They have a timetable in mind for the prospects or at least a notion of “readiness” to be met. They probably have a plan for India in mind. They’ll adhere to this.
    Likely they have an overarching plan for these guys. It’s just getting really frustrating knowing a few of these guys at AAA are probably better than their MLB counterparts. IMO CES had an argument to make the team out of camp. And we all know Elly is on a different planet as far as tools. It’s getting really old checking the AAA scores while watching the MLB game and being more excited about what’s in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?