Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly time?

Re: Elly time?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’d try to extend Maile unless you’d be able to get a surprisingly good deal for him. He plays great defense and the bat seems to have more pop than expected. That’s at least a good backup catcher. Plus it’d give you some Stephenson insurance. I think his struggles are injury related not skill related, but a Maile extension would give the Reds a bit of a hedge there.
    I'm not opposed to bringing him back next year but I'm definitely not extending him. He's run into a couple HRs early but he's the same guy you brought in for 1/$1.2M. If he's willing to sign an extension, he'll be willing to re-up in the offseason
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-21-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    At this point I think the best course of action would to be phantom DL Stephenson and Myers and get EDLC and CES up here. Especially if India is out. Give it a trial run without him to gauge what trading him for a pitcher might look like. Plus the team really needs a big time power infusion.

Not sure what 40 man moves I’d make. But I don’t like anyone would miss Newman or Ramos.
    There's a lot of talk about phantom DL stints but that has to be a player decision as much as it's a team decision. I can't imagine many players being thrilled about taking 10 days off because they aren't hitting well

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not opposed to bringing him back next year but I'm definitely not extending him. He's run into a couple HRs early but he's the same guy you brought in for 1/$1.2M. If he's willing to sign an extension, he'll be willing to re-up in the offseason
    I would consider extending Maile regardless of how he hits. He’s shown to be a stabilizing force behind the plate, and above average defensively in the most demanding defensive position. Of course, I wouldn’t extend him for much, maybe a 3 year, $9M deal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    CES and EDC should be up NOW. They are crushing AAA and they aren’t blocked at all on the big league roster. They could both come up tomorrow, play nearly every day, and not stunt the growth of anyone else or cause roster issues. The only reason you keep them down currently is if you think there is a maturity issue or if you think their psychi couldn’t handle initial failure were they to struggle. If they feel one or both is immature and not ready to handle the big league life, then that would be a reason to keep them down; but none of us could possibly know that.

But there are no actual baseball reasons for them to stay on the farm and it’s getting frustrating.
    The above is exactly why they shouldn't be called up. They need to go through some slumps in AAA and work through them before they come up to MLB. This way they have had to work through struggles. Thats one of the biggest issues with call ups, they don't know how to handle struggles, and they are going to have struggles at MLB.

Past this year was what I meant by extension. Not like a 3-5 year deal. Seems like were near on the same page. I was thinking. About paying him like a backup. Stop the merry go round that’s been that role since Tucker left

8. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (05-21-2023)

There's a lot of talk about phantom DL stints but that has to be a player decision as much as it's a team decision. I can't imagine many players being thrilled about taking 10 days off because they aren't hitting well
    Agreed. Of course idk if it’s come up, but the conversation needs to be had. Or just DFA Ramos and Newman is an option too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    The above is exactly why they shouldn't be called up. They need to go through some slumps in AAA and work through them before they come up to MLB. This way they have had to work through struggles. Thats one of the biggest issues with call ups, they don't know how to handle struggles, and they are going to have struggles at MLB.
    Will they have any real struggles at AAA? Doesn’t seem like it. To actually have struggles, they may need to face a higher level of competition

I get EDLC and CES are big topics of conversation, but this team needs a real veteran power hitter in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would consider extending Maile regardless of how he hits. He’s shown to be a stabilizing force behind the plate, and above average defensively in the most demanding defensive position. Of course, I wouldn’t extend him for much, maybe a 3 year, $9M deal.
    I'm just in no rush to extend my 32 year old 3rd catcher. I'd be more inclined to go year to year with him. I'd be more open to it if Casali or Stephenson are removed from the catching picture

I'm just in no rush to extend my 32 year old 3rd catcher. I'd be more inclined to go year to year with him. I'd be more open to it if Casali or Stephenson are removed from the catching picture
    I’m in no rush either, just willing to consider it. I also would be fine if they traded him for a prospect.

I know McLain got off to a good start, but he is now batting .211 with a .634 OPS. He’ll likely get it back up, but a warning sign for putting too much emphasis on AAA numbers.

14. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (05-21-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-21-2023)

I know McLain got off to a good start, but he is now batting .211 with a .634 OPS. He’ll likely get it back up, but a warning sign for putting too much emphasis on AAA numbers.
    I think the issue is an expectation of immediate results. If you’re going to build strictly with kids, it’s going to take time.

16. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2023),Old school 1983 (05-21-2023)

It’s literally been five games.
    Before game day today he was at .267/.389/.400 111 ops+

Let’s give him at least 7 games before we lose our minds.

18. Likes:

membengal (05-21-2023),Old school 1983 (05-21-2023),Ron Madden (05-21-2023),WrongVerb (05-21-2023)

How fun would it have been if Elly would have been up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth instead of Benson?

I'm okay with bringing up the young kids, letting them play every day, and fighting through their struggles on the big stage, where they will be the next decade or more. They've shown they can dominate AAA. Watching guys like Elly, McLain, CES and Abbott , even if they struggle will be more fun than watching, Ramos, Newman, Fairchild, Myers , etc... Watching that bunch is boring and ickey.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-21-2023 at 02:33 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    It’s literally been five games.
    Before game day today he was at .267/.389/.400 111 ops+

Let’s give him at least 7 games before we lose our minds.
    Not losing my mind, I said he likely will get his numbers back up. But even going into today, his MLB OPS was 400 points lower than his AAA OPS. Those AAA are greatly inflated for some reason this season. We shouldn’t put that much faith in them, that’s all.

Turn Off Ads?