Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 5-21-23 Reds vs Yankees 11:35 AM

Re: 5-21-23 Reds vs Yankees 11:35 AM

Stumper Answer:

1. Peter Marshall("Hollywood Squares")

2. Bob Gibson

I have a great Lacock/ Gibson "Rest of the Story" if anyone cares to hear it.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Another ball in the middle of the plate. Command has been the issue today.
    Command has always been the issue with Greene, but today he’s had the best command I’ve seen in awhile. 7 innings, only 4 hits. 10 K’s. Granted two hits were homers, but that is far fewer mistake pitches than he usually makes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Stumper Answer:

2. Bob Gibson

Do tell
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Stumper Answer:

2. Bob Gibson

I'll bite.... did Gibson get on the "Squares"?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Command has always been the issue with Greene, but today he’s had the best command I’ve seen in awhile. 7 innings, only 4 hits. 10 K’s. Granted two hits were homers, but that is far fewer mistake pitches than he usually makes.

- - - Updated - - -

Do tell
    I thought it was an encouraging start. Looked like he was mixing in the changeup more with sone success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

6. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2023),Ron Madden (05-21-2023)

This series highlights most of what’s wrong with the Reds. Lack of home run power. Lack of lefty hitting (tough RHP against). Lack of pitching depth. It hasn’t highlighted Reds poor defense so much.

They have a lot of work to do.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-21-2023),Tom Servo (05-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This series highlights most of what’s wrong with the Reds. Lack of home run power. Lack of lefty hitting (tough RHP against). Lack of pitching depth. It hasn’t highlighted Reds poor defense so much.

They have a lot of work to do.
    Yeah and also they’re playing the New York Yankees
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2023),fondfoat (05-21-2023)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

4 pages, 7th inning. Neat. Is it the Sabbath effect or is apathy setting in?

- - - Updated - - -

Come on, TBL, hang around.
    Only since you asked
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Partially agree. The at bats that that resulted in runs the command wasn't good. I think they were all 2 strike counts and the pitches were almost perfectly centered on the plate. The 99mph fastball just does play at this level enough to keep doing that. Command or just the wrong pitch to try and get an out with.

My hope is that he learns from it and starts to use those other pitches in those situations over the "rare back" and pump one over approach.

The pitch count today was refreshing and he did use the Change quite a bit as well.

13. Likes:

757690 (05-21-2023)

4 pages, 7th inning. Neat. Is it the Sabbath effect or is apathy setting in?

- - - Updated - - -
    It's the quality of the game threads lately.

15. Likes:

fondfoat (05-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah and also they’re playing the New York Yankees
    Who are third in the AL East.

These aren’t the ‘27 Yankees. No excuses. Reds are just playing lousy baseball right now.

These umps are terrible.

Well... we keep worrying about the bullpen faltering but they are holding together somehow with a couple exceptions. It's the bats that have been the issue.

David Bell spent more energy arguing today than the rest of his team has combined (other than Hunter).

*********THE REST OF THE STORY ************

As mentioned above Pete Lacock was the next to last batter Bob Gibson ever faced in a Major League game. Lacock, playing for the Cubs, golfed a low fast ball from Gibby for the only Granny of his career. Gibson then faced and retired Don Kessinger. Gibson would never return to the mound again in a regular MLB game.

Fast forward 15 years to 1990. "Old Timers" Game at Royals Stadium. Bob Feller is on the mound pitching. Pete Lacock(former Royal) comes out of the dugout and walks to the plate to hit. Seeing this happen, Gibson suddenly walks out of the NL dugout, goes to the mound, tells Feller to get lost, and starts warming up. First pitch to Lacock... fastball that drills Pete in the ribs. Seriously ! Gibson yells at Lacock that he's been waiting 15 years to do that. Bob Gibson was a BAD, BAD man.

Both Lacock and Gibson would later go on to coach with the Cardinals together and never spoke a word. Long memory, that Gibson guy.

And Now You Know... The Rest...Of the Story .
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

21. Likes:

Dave C (05-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Well... we keep worrying about the bullpen faltering but they are holding together somehow with a couple exceptions. It's the bats that have been the issue.
    Yeah, the bullpen isn’t great but this team cannot hit. And there’s no excuse for it playing half your games in GABP.

But we have guys in this lineup daily that are not major league caliber. And others who have been in the past but have nothing this year.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-21-2023)

Turn Off Ads?