Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who gets dealt at the deadline?

Re: Who gets dealt at the deadline?

I would not trade Steer to avoid the possibility of him turning into Justin Turner.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I would not trade Steer to avoid the possibility of him turning into Justin Turner.
    They have no reason to trade Steer unless a team makes a ridiculous offer. I think he'll slot in nicely as a 1B/3B/LF who gets regular PT over the next few years. He looks like a solid 2.0-2.5 WAR player who will be making next to nothing for a while. That's a highly valuable guy for any team.

4. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-24-2023),Old school 1983 (05-24-2023)

Myers, Newman, Sims, Farmer, Law, Senzel, Casali
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

LeatherPants (05-24-2023),wally post (05-25-2023)

How could anyone want Will Myers? It’s a joke that he is getting regular playing time. He should be DFA tomorrow. I think Senzel is the most likely to get dealt. ELDC has to get called up soon and then Senzel becomes an outfielder again.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I think the Reds will trade Myers and Newman for lottery tickets while paying their salaries to the recipient. I also think they'll trade one of the backup catchers for a reliever.

I wouldn't trade Senzel or Barrero. To me they are our bench players for the next couple years paired with backup catcher.

Elly, Marte, McLain, India, Stephenson, Friedl, CES, Fraley, Steer are our starting 9 next year. That's a very interesting group.
    I like that group from a talent perspective. However, where are they all playing in the field?

If he's healthy Sims will be gone for sure and most likely they'll try to move Farmer, Gibaut, Law, Young, Herget, Lively, and Maile too.
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 05-24-2023 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedJack View Post
    I like that group from a talent perspective. However, where are they all playing in the field?
    I think the important thing to do with this group is leaning into and creating some additional positional flexibility. I'd like to see something like this:

McLain 2B, backup SS
    ELDC SS, occasionally DH
    Marte 3B, occasionally RF
    India LF, backup 2B
    CES 1B/Dh
    Stephenson C, backup 1B/DH
    Steer, 1B/3B, occasionally DH
    Fraley, RF, backup LF
    Friedl CF

That's a very fluid situation but with a sharp manager can easily be done. Senzel and Barrero can fill in multiple spots. Throw in a TJ Hopkins and backup catcher and that's a very young affordable position group. Plenty of money to spend on 2-4 year market price FA deals for a Starting pitcher and 2-3 relievers.

11. Likes:

Indymoon (05-24-2023),Revering4Blue (05-24-2023)

Not sure I'd trade any effective reliever who you have continued control over.

13. Likes:

Indymoon (05-24-2023),Old school 1983 (05-24-2023),Revering4Blue (05-24-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I would, for a gross overpay. But yes, there's a lot of value in having Young and Diaz anchoring the bullpen for the next several years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Agreed. Unless you’re blown away. But that goes for anyone. If the Reds are going to make any impactful moves, they will either have to move one of the many infielders they have or try something creative with one of the big three pitchers and fill that spot with a more veteran presence in the off-season. By the deadline, we should have a better read on Williamson and maybe even have Abbott up here too. If the Reds are comfortable with their performances maybe they could move one of them or a guy like Ashcraft for help in the outfield and the bullpen.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by phlbilly View Post
    How could anyone want Will Myers? It’s a joke that he is getting regular playing time. He should be DFA tomorrow. I think Senzel is the most likely to get dealt. ELDC has to get called up soon and then Senzel becomes an outfielder again.
    He looks disinterested as well, which really drives me crazy.

I try to remind myself that he's likely trying his best and that baseball is really hard requiring a difficult combination of skill, confidence, passion and calm. But his ABs are hard to watch.

18. Likes:

WrongVerb (05-24-2023)

Like Dauri Moreta for Kevin Newman. Moreta is pitching well for the Pirates and, according to Baseball Reference, is Earliest Arb eligible in 2026 and FA in 2029!

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

However (and this is especially true in the volatile world of the bullpen), this year's prince could be next year's frog.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-24-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    However (and this is especially true in the volatile world of the bullpen), this year's prince could be next year's frog.
    Agree. Management has to be really adept at reading them.

Turn Off Ads?