Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is rooting against Reds who were traded wrong?

Re: Is rooting against Reds who were traded wrong?

Frank Robinson was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was 11 years old when he got traded and I cried. I didn't care at all about who we were getting back, I just hated losing my favorite player.

2. Likes:

JFLegal (05-26-2023),Old school 1983 (05-25-2023),REDREAD (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (05-25-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm mostly indifferent to former Reds players. Once they're off the team I really don't care lol.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (05-25-2023)

Gee, just when I was about to post that Luis Cessa will be starting tonight for our
    Albuquerque Isotopes. Good luck in finding the outcome in some minor league site.

7. Likes:

JFLegal (05-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    Gee, just when I was about to post that Luis Cessa will be starting tonight for our
    Albuquerque Isotopes. Good luck in finding the outcome in some minor league site.

9. Likes:

bagz (05-27-2023),westofyou (05-25-2023)

I always rooted for the Big Bopper after he got traded. The Cobra. I was just happy that who they got back were key players in a lot of winning.

Frustrated that they gave away relief pitching that backfired because they could give it away back then. They were great at developing it. Jay Howell. Brad Corbett. Bill Caudill. Shane Rawley. Jeff Montgomery.

I don’t care about winning the trade. Just don’t lose it. A draw works for me.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (05-26-2023)

I'm indifferent. If they do well fine, if not I don't really care either way.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (05-25-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Root however you want.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Before my time, but I think the fallout over that one was less about the return (Milt Pappas and Jack Baldschun have become scapegoats, but both were pitchers with solid track records), and more about the fact they had traded away a generational talent and the face of the club in his prime. It didn't matter who was coming back from the Orioles -- there was no return that could make this trade worth it. It was a trade made for political reasons.
    Political reasons? What do you mean? Not being obtuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I always rooted for the Big Bopper after he got traded. The Cobra. I was just happy that who they got back were key players in a lot of winning.

Frustrated that they gave away relief pitching that backfired because they could give it away back then. They were great at developing it. Jay Howell. Brad Corbett. Bill Caudill. Shane Rawley. Jeff Montgomery.

I don’t care about winning the trade. Just don’t lose it. A draw works for me.
    Getting a World Series MVP in exchange for a washed-up Dave Parker did not suck at all.

This thread made me look of Aquino. Looks like he plays in Japan now.

Yeah I liked that dude... will still root for him in his travels

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Frank Robinson was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was 11 years old when he got traded and I cried. I didn't care at all about who we were getting back, I just hated losing my favorite player.
    Yeah, I don't think it matters who we get back when our favorite player is traded. Nothing can mitigate that disappointment, at the time it happens. I will say, however, I'd be happy with a ping pong table for the clubhouse in exchange for Wil Myers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    This thread made me look of Aquino. Looks like he plays in Japan now.

Yeah I liked that dude... will still root for him in his travels
    Yeah, he's one that would be easy to root for. Seems like a nice dude.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Political reasons? What do you mean? Not being obtuse.
    Clubhouse politics. It was the Civil Rights era of the 60's, and I believe that ownership felt that Robinson was becoming too influential, particularly with black teammates and in the African-American community, so they wanted to remove him. Sure, they tried to get a decent return, and they disguised their intent by saying Frank was "an old 30", but their primary objective was to get Robinson out of Cincinnati.

(A young Pete Rose was called on the carpet more than once for associating too much with black teammates -- particularly Robinson and Vada Pinson -- outside of "work hours". Pete didn't care, though -- he liked who he liked, and mainly he liked guys who were good at playing baseball.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-26-2023),JFLegal (05-25-2023),Powder River (05-28-2023),Revering4Blue (05-26-2023),RichRed (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (05-26-2023),westofyou (05-25-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-26-2023),WrongVerb (05-25-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Clubhouse politics. It was the Civil Rights era of the 60's, and I believe that ownership felt that Robinson was becoming too influential, particularly with black teammates and in the African-American community, so they wanted to remove him. Sure, they tried to get a decent return, and they disguised their intent by saying Frank was "an old 30", but their primary objective was to get Robinson out of Cincinnati.

(A young Pete Rose was called on the carpet more than once for associating too much with black teammates -- particularly Robinson and Vada Pinson -- outside of "work hours". Pete didn't care, though -- he liked who he liked, and mainly he liked guys who were good at playing baseball.)
    I don't know that's true. It's the first I've heard of it. But if that experience made transitioning from LF to third to make room for Foster easier for him, so much the better.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't know that's true. It's the first I've heard of it. But if that experience made transitioning from LF to third to make room for Foster easier for him, so much the better.
    Oh it's true. The breaking point between DeWitt and Robinson was the knife incident and DeWitt let him sit in jail.

22. Likes:

Big Klu (05-25-2023),cumberlandreds (05-26-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh it's true. The breaking point between DeWitt and Robinson was the knife incident and DeWitt let him sit in jail.
    I have so much to learn from you elder statesmen. (I mean that as a compliment FYI.)

Do tell more. "The knife incident"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    That had to be brutal

Turn Off Ads?