Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elton John: Your Personal Favorites

Elton John: Your Personal Favorites

I've been a fan since the height of John's popularity in the early and mid '70's. Seen him a good number of times live. Bought most of his records. He's had a Top 10 single in six different decades. With John having such a deep and diverse catalog, I'd expect a pretty wide range of favorite tunes from those who have listened to his music over the years.

I'd be curious as to what you would rate as your top four or five songs of this singer/songwriter. While his hits are terrific, I think some of his best work were some of his lesser known songs. Maybe your favorite is one of his biggest hits or maybe it is a more obscure, hidden gem. Either way, I'd love to hear some of your favorites. Thanks, in advance.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************
    I used to know this old scarecrow
    He was my song
    My joy and sorrow
    Cast alone between the furrows
    Of a field
    No longer sown by anyone
    I held a dandelion
    That said the time had come
    To leave upon the wind
    Not to return
    When summer burned the earth again
    Oh-oh-oh
    Oh-oh-oh-oh
    Cultivate the freshest flower
    This garden ever grew
    Beneath these branches
    I once wrote
    Such childish words for you
    But that's okay
    There's treasure children always seek to find
    And just like us
    You must have had
    A once upon a time

Oh-oh-oh
    Oh-oh-oh-oh

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elton John: Your Personal Favorites

Curtains - We All Fall In Love Sometimes is a great end to what (IMO) is his last GREAT piece of work. Saw him at Riverfront in 1976 at the peak, he was the 70's in so many ways

4. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (05-28-2023)

On the morning of April 3, 1882, Jesse James was having breakfast with Robert and Charlie Ford at a house Jesse and his family was renting under the name "J.D. Howard. " Unbeknownst to James, Robert Ford was the paid assassin of Missouri Governor, Tom Crittenden. As Jesse stood on a chair to adjust a picture in the parlor of the house, Ford fired a shot that hit James just below the right ear, killing him.

Leave it to Elton to write a beautiful song, using, the bullet from the gun of the coward , Robert Ford , as a metaphor for the end of a romantic relationship. Not your typical breakup song, but one, nevertheless. Simply brilliant and lovely.

************************************************** ***************************************

Like a corn in a field, I cut you down
    I threw the last punch too hard
    After years of going steady, well, I thought that it was time
    To throw in my hand for a new set of cards
    And I can't take you dancing out on the weekend
    I figured we'd painted too much of this town
    And I tried not to look as I walked to my wagon
    And I knew then, I'd lost what should have been found
    You know that, I knew then I'd lost what should have been found
    And I feel like a bullet in the gun of Robert Ford
    I'm low as a paid assassin is
    You know I'm cold as a hired sword
    I'm so ashamed, can't we patch it up?
    You know, I can't think straight no more
    You make me feel like a bullet, honey, in the gun
    In the gun of Robert Ford
    Like a child when his toys have been stepped on
    That's how it all seemed to me
    I burst the bubble that both of us lived in
    And I'm damned if I'll ever get rid of this guilt that I feel
    And if looks could kill then I'd be a dead man
    Your friends and mine don't call no more
    Hell, I thought it was best but now I feel branded
    Breaking up's sometimes like breaking the law
    Breaking up's sometimes like breaking the law
    And I feel like a bullet in the gun of Robert Ford
    I'm low as a paid assassin is
    You know I'm cold as a hired sword
    I'm so ashamed, can't we patch it up?
    You know that I can't think straight no more
    You make me feel like a bullet, honey, in the gun
    In the gun of Robert Ford

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-28-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Curtains - We All Fall In Love Sometimes is a great end to what (IMO) is his last GREAT piece of work. Saw him at Riverfront in 1976 at the peak, he was the 70's in so many ways
    No doubt. I can't think of the '70's without thinking of Elton John.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

7. Likes:

goreds2 (05-28-2023),Roy Tucker (05-28-2023)

From Tumbleweed Connection to Captain Fantastic, not many musicians had a stronger, more prolific period of depth and creativity.

Anything before, or after that, I could take or leave, honestly.

Same answer from me for Stevie Wonder. Music of My Mind, through Songs in the Key of Life. God-Tier Prolific. Anything before or after though? Meh.

EDIT: I'm just glad they are both still alive. Threads like this usually start with RIP these days.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-28-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Funeral for a Friend
    Tiny Dancer
    Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me
    Crocodile Rock
    Your Song
    Take Me To The Pilot
    I’m Still Standing
    Honkey Cat
    The ***** is Back
    Sorry Seems to like Be The Hardest Word

That’s 10 I think.

As far as album runs go, I’ll take The Stones: Beggars Banque; Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Mainstreet.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Philadelphia Freedom because this song always make me think of my dad driving out of the dealership in his new Chevy pickup truck in the mid-70’s. This song was playing on the radio. Funny how I remember that.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-28-2023),Kingspoint (05-29-2023),Ky Fried Redleg (05-28-2023),ShyGuy (05-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    From Tumbleweed Connection to Captain Fantastic, not many musicians had a stronger, more prolific period of depth and creativity.

Anything before, or after that, I could take or leave, honestly.

Same answer from me for Stevie Wonder. Music of My Mind, through Songs in the Key of Life. God-Tier Prolific. Anything before or after though? Meh.

EDIT: I'm just glad they are both still alive. Threads like this usually start with RIP these days.

You read my mind, Bob. While thinking about a thread, I thought, "Why wait til he's dead and do a RIP thread?"
    ---- Bill Vaughn

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-28-2023)

Seriously, who can possibly write a cool, melodic, catchy chorus to these words:

It's party time for the guys in the tower of Babel
    Sodom meet Gomorrah, Cain meet Abel
    Have a ball y'all
    See the letches crawl
    With the call girls under the table
    Watch them dig their graves
    'Cause Jesus don't save the guys
    In the tower of Babel

Elton John, in his prime creative years, that's who.

---- Bill Vaughn

16. Likes:

marcshoe (05-28-2023)

How's this for a B-Side????

Flip side of "Croc Rock."

"Those were the days
    We'd lay in the haze
    Forget depressive times ..." (Elton John, or was it, Roy Tucker?) LOL

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-28-2023 at 06:11 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Funny, my wife and I went to see the musical “Moulin Rouge” today. It’s a jukebox musical where all but one of the songs in it were popular songs in their own right.

One song played (and sung) was John’s “Your Song”. I hadn’t heard it in years and was flooded with emotion when I heard it. It came out my freshman year at Ohio Univ. and that album could be heard coming from lots of Sargent Hall and other dorm rooms. But those were tumultuous years and my life was going through a lot of changes and ups and downs and spastic growth. And hearing that song today brought back all those emotions of the long past.

Anyhow, I was an Elton John fan of:
    Elton John
    Tumbleweed Connection
    Madman Across The Water
    Honky Chateau
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (his best)
    Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

My musical tastes went elsewhere after that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Favorite Elton John song is Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Amoreena

Perhaps the greatest use of a song in an opening movie sequence for Dog Day Afternoon

21. Likes:

757690 (05-28-2023)

Benny, Benny, Bennnny and the Jeeeeeeeets.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?