Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deals & Dollars

Deals & Dollars

Right now, it's really hard to make any trades, largely because nearly everyone is still within hailing distance of a playoff spot.

That said, there are a few teams we know aren't going anywhere.

Who are the teams we know are out of it?

Oakland, of course, but they are so barren of talent, I'm not sure they could even help.
    Kansas City has Aroldis Chapman to deal. I like that possibility.
    The White Sox are likely done and prime candidates for deals. That's a team to keep an eye on.
    The Nationals are likely willing to make a deal.
    The Cubs are caught half in the middle. I suspect they'll be willing to wave the white flag relatively soon.
    Colorado has a couple of interesting guys, but ownership there is often reluctant to trade.
    Would San Diego consider giving up?

Which team are you envisioning? Which players are you targeting?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 05-29-2023 at 01:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deals & Dollars

I could see the White Sox going into a rebuilding mode soon. Lack of competition in the division may put that off for another year or two. Asking prices will be high until then.

Ditto for the Cubs regarding their crappy division.

Colorado is the worst FO in baseball. They somehow convince themselves they’re one utility guy short of a playoff roster and the proceed to lose the division by 40 games. Every year. It’s amazing.

My guess is San Diego will continue to add.

I’d keep an eye on Philadelphia if things don’t improve there. Also Cleveland. I could see the Giants being sellers as well. They’ll likely want to put together an offer for Shohei, so they may want to unload some payroll.

I'll play, but I see only role players being acquired for older, secondary prospects.

Christian Roa and TJ Hopkins to Kansas City for Aroldis Chapman.

Levi Stoudt and Will Benson to Washington for Trevor Williams and Corey Dickerson, Reds may need to add a third player, but it wouldn't be a top guy.

Adds about $2 Million for lefty set-up man for this year,

Add about $4 Million for this year for a veteran starter. Also adds $7 Million for next year.

Adds about $2 Million for a lefty bat who can play Corner OF and DH.

I wouldn't deal younger more high ceiling prospects at this time. Older prospects like Hopkins, Benson and Stoudt would be guys I'd look to move. Veteran back end starter, lefty reliever and lefty bat are the areas I'd look to acquire.

I'd try to acquire young prospects when they move Myers, Newman and Maile or Casali later similar to the deal they made when they dealt Tyler Naquin (but probably not as good as that one).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

San Diego has invested way too much to give up.

Looks like a seller's market is shaping up again.

I'll say this about Krall, the guy can make trades. That Mahle trade looks like it might be one for the ages.

Chapman is a free agent at the end of the season. I wouldn't give up both of Roa and Hopkins for him. I might be willing to trade Hinds, Cerda, or Hendrick, and Roa-- or Hopkins and Benschoter.

7. Likes:

JCM11 (05-29-2023),mth123 (05-29-2023),Redsfan6272 (05-30-2023)

Something tells me the circumstances around Chapman being given to the Yankees for nothing and the fact that we still have the same owner tells me we will not be trading for Aroldis Chapman.

9. Likes:

LeatherPants (05-29-2023),NC Reds (05-29-2023),NebraskaRed (05-29-2023),RedsFanInMS (05-30-2023),RedTeamGo! (05-30-2023),Roy Tucker (05-30-2023),wally post (05-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I’d keep an eye on Philadelphia if things don’t improve there.
    Who says no?

Castellanos, Kimbrel for Myers, Hopkins, Roa?

Phils save about $70M and grab a couple of lottery tickets.

Reds get veterans who might push them to legitimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Who says no?

The Castellinis. And possibly the entire city of Philadelphia. Doubt that fanbase, not known for its rationality, would take going from World Series to sellers well.

Who says no?

I like it, but I don’t think there’s any way the Reds will take on that payroll. I also don’t think the Phillies will be sold on Roa. Hopkins is probably just a guy.

What do you think it would take to get Wheeler?

Right now, it's really hard to make any trades, largely because nearly everyone is still within hailing distance of a playoff spot.

That said, there are a few teams we know aren't going anywhere.

Who are the teams we know are out of it?

Oakland, of course, but they are so barren of talent, I'm not sure they could even help.
    Kansas City has Aroldis Chapman to deal. I like that possibility.
    The White Sox are likely done and prime candidates for deals. That's a team to keep an eye on.
    The Nationals are likely willing to make a deal.
    The Cubs are caught half in the middle. I suspect they'll be willing to wave the white flag relatively soon.
    Colorado has a couple of interesting guys, but ownership there is often reluctant to trade.
    Would San Diego consider giving up?

Which team are you envisioning? Which players are you targeting?
    Oakland, I’d want Rooker and/or Laureano
    KC Chapman, Barlow or Staumont
    White Sox…sloberknokcer for Luis Robert?
    Nationals have nothing I want in the bigs. I like James Wood in the minors
    Cubs don’t interest me. Maybe Wisdom as bench power
    Rockies…Blackmon could help in RF
    SD…Grisham is interesting…would they consider moving Soto?

Let’s get Wheeler and Bieber, extend Bieber and go from there. Instant 2024 NL Central favorites.

Surely both of those clubs would have interest in a guy like India if we wanted to go that route. Maybe sell high on a guy like Jorge, Rodriguez, or Acuņa? I wouldn’t want to give up Marte or Abbott unless we’re getting a package. Too much for a rental.

Imagine our current offense plus CES and EDLC with a rotation of:

Wheeler
    Biebs
    Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft/Abbott

Who says no?

Nick Senzel to Minnesota for Matt Wallner

I would make a run at Bieber. I'd offer 1 of Marte or CES plus a couple younger 15-25 prospects. Extend Bieber for 4 years covering his last arb year and 3 more.

17. Likes:

redsfan9988 (05-29-2023)

Who says no?

Nick Senzel to Minnesota for Matt Wallner
    Hard no for Minny there. I think this actually makes their MLB club worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I would make a run at Bieber. I'd offer 1 of Marte or CES plus a couple younger 15-25 prospects. Extend Bieber for 4 years covering his last arb year and 3 more.
    I think this makes sense. If we’re dealing CES or Marte, I think I’d insist on a window to negotiate and extension. I can see him getting a fifth year if he waits for FA. Maybe 4 yrs $100MM gets it done? I’m not sure I would take that if I were him.

Who says no?

I don't see the Reds taking on that much money. I could see Myers and a couple of minor prospects for Kimbrel. It would be a pure lightening in a bottle move. I'm not sure Kimbrel would be one of the team's best 8 relievers.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?