Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a .500 Possibility on the Table?

Re: Is a .500 Possibility on the Table?

fwiw, pretty much everyone in the market is gonna be looking for pitching this summer as trade season heats up. The asks for legit arms is gonna be quite high.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-01-2023),Ron Madden (06-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    fwiw, pretty much everyone in the market is gonna be looking for pitching this summer as trade season heats up. The asks for legit arms is gonna be quite high.
    Yep
    MLB starting pitcher trade market is short on supply, high on demand.
    https://theathletic.com/4571521/2023...shared_article

5. Likes:

membengal (06-01-2023),Revering4Blue (06-01-2023),westofyou (06-01-2023)

Yeah, that.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

MIL lost again today.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

No. The season is long and the teams that add talent will eventually pull away from the pack. This team is fun, but because they aren’t adding pitching, they won’t be a .500 team.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

9. Likes:

Redhook (06-01-2023),westofyou (06-01-2023)

Is a .500 Possibility on the Table?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No. The season is long and the teams that add talent will eventually pull away from the pack. This team is fun, but because they aren’t adding pitching, they won’t be a .500 team.
    Exactly, water finds its level.

11. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-02-2023),Roy Tucker (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I still believe
    4 vs Brewers
    3 vs Dodgers
    3 vs Astros
    3 vs Braves
    3 vs Baltimore
    will be a tougher stretch of games than the Red Sox, Mets, Yankees, Cards and Padres were in May.
    Definitely

The only thing I will note is that the Orioles in 2022 rather improbably made it to 83 wins coming off a series of catastrophic seasons, did so in the AL East (when it was still unbalanced schedules) - and did so on the back of call-ups like Reustchman and Gunner Henderson and a pitching staff cobbled together of forgotten vet types/random young arms and a plus back of bullpen. Sometimes the youth is so good, a team can surprise. And that's a team with ownership situation that is somehow worse than Cincy's and equally penurious.

I still wonder if this can be such a team IF they will get EDLC and CES up here and eventually Abbott and ride talented youth to areas we did not anticipate them being able to access. I am not saying that will be the outcome here, but I just watched a young team start to grow seemingly out of nowhere locally here in Baltimore area just last year. So, I am somewhat curious about if the Reds can do something similar. That does depend a bit on actually progressing the kids up here and stop dragging their feet on it.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-02-2023 at 10:30 AM.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-02-2023),mth123 (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-02-2023),Ron Madden (06-03-2023)

If we can win the MIL series, .500 will be a given on the season and the real question will be....can the REDS get to 90 wins.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The only thing I will note is that the Orioles in 2022 rather improbably made it to 83 wins coming off a series of catastrophic seasons, did so in the AL East (when it was still unbalanced schedules) - and did so on the back of call-ups like Reustchman and Gunner Henderson and a pitching staff cobbled together of forgotten vet types/random young arms and a plus back of bullpen. Sometimes the youth is so good, a team can surprise. And that's a team with ownership situation that is somehow worse than Cincy's and equally penurious.

I still wonder if this can be such a team IF they will get EDLC and CES up here and eventually Abbott and ride talented youth to areas we did not anticipate them being able to access. I am not saying that will be the outcome here, but I just watched a young team start to grow seemingly out of nowhere locally here in Baltimore area just last year. So, I am somewhat curious about if the Reds can do something similar. That does depend a bit on actually progressing the kids up here and stop dragging their feet on it.
    Who’s going to pitch the innings? The only question that really matters.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Who’s going to pitch the innings? The only question that really matters.
    Dunno. The 2022 Orioles fired a cannon's worth of vet chaff and Brandon Williamson type "prospects" in the rotation at it and still won 83. With a good enough back of pen (Diaz and....?) and the right young kids (McLain and Steer here, EDLC and CES should be) mixed in with vets with a good approach weird things can happen that are not foreseen. The only problem is, as usual, ownership truly doesn't care about winning. Even the O's with their awful ownership situation (and trust me, I know WAY more about that than the usual person) started to release the hounds from the minors last year and that is what sparked the turnaround. We all know EDLC and CES are ready and on a team that is carrying a wounded Friedl, and starting Kevin Newman at 1b and against a RHer and carrying 3 catchers etc etc etc it is beyond silly that the call-up hasn't happened yet.

ETA - the 2022 Os won 83 games and these were the starting pitchers they used...

Jordan Lyles
    Kyle Bradish
    Tyler Wells
    Dean Kremer
    Spenser Watkins
    Austin Voth
    Bruce Zimmerman
    Mike Baumann
    Bryan Baker
    Chris Ellis
    John Means (blew out an elbow in April)
    Keegan Akin
    DL Hall
    Denyi Reyes

I mean...dayum. Just look at that list. So, yeah, the Reds starting pitching staff is not ideal. But...not sure it has to be to challenge .500 IF the hitters are good enough and the back of the pen stout enough. I like the approach of a lot of the guys on this team right now, but they lack power and...man, a few power bats are RIGHT THERE and ready at L'ville. I would very much like them to...try. I would like the front office/ownership to actually try. Call up the obvious guys and let them learn together and find some success together and let the fanbase actually fall back in love with the team and baseball.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-02-2023 at 10:50 PM.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-14-2023),Ron Madden (06-03-2023)

Unlikely. Starting pitching is good but the bullpen is awful and the offense is below average with no stars.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    Unlikely. Starting pitching is good but the bullpen is awful and the offense is below average with no stars.
    Somebody else take this one, please.

Folks there is a reason many have him on ignore. No one take this please. Just ignore him. That post is clearly not within a million miles of good faith. Just ignore the bait.

Dunno. The 2022 Orioles fired a cannon's worth of vet chaff and Brandon Williamson type "prospects" in the rotation at it and still won 83. With a good enough back of pen (Diaz and....?) and the right young kids (McLain and Steer here, EDLC and CES should be) mixed in with vets with a good approach weird things can happen that are not foreseen. The only problem is, as usual, ownership truly doesn't care about winning. Even the O's with their awful ownership situation (and trust me, I know WAY more about that than the usual person) started to release the hounds from the minors last year and that is what sparked the turnaround. We all know EDLC and CES are ready and on a team that is carrying a wounded Friedl, and starting Kevin Newman at 1b and against a RHer and carrying 3 catchers etc etc etc it is beyond silly that the call-up hasn't happened yet.

ETA - the 2022 Os won 83 games and these were the starting pitchers they used...

Jordan Lyles
    Kyle Bradish
    Tyler Wells
    Dean Kremer
    Spenser Watkins
    Austin Voth
    Bruce Zimmerman
    Mike Baumann
    Bryan Baker
    Chris Ellis
    John Means (blew out an elbow in April)
    Keegan Akin
    DL Hall
    Denyi Reyes

I mean...dayum. Just look at that list. So, yeah, the Reds starting pitching staff is not ideal. But...not sure it has to be to challenge .500 IF the hitters are good enough and the back of the pen stout enough. I like the approach of a lot of the guys on this team right now, but they lack power and...man, a few power bats are RIGHT THERE and ready at L'ville. I would very much like them to...try. I would like the front office/ownership to actually try. Call up the obvious guys and let them learn together and find some success together and let the fanbase actually fall back in love with the team and baseball.

This is the worst shape this division has been in (in terms of talent concentration) in my memory, so it could happen. I just think other teams will add veteran pitching at some point.

Turn Off Ads?