Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a .500 Possibility on the Table?

Re: Is a .500 Possibility on the Table?

The Reds aren’t even going to give a player 2012 Votto money.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-08-2023),RedsFanInMS (06-11-2023),Wonderful Monds (06-08-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Someone open a window I'm getting a contact high reading this thread
    Open up a window and let catch my breath
    That cigarette you're smokin is scarin me to death

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-08-2023),westofyou (06-08-2023)

I’d make an FCB-like first-born bet the Reds will never sign Ohtani. Never ever ever.

FYI, my first born is now 35. He may not go quietly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-12-2023),Revering4Blue (06-11-2023),Ron Madden (06-08-2023),TRF (06-12-2023),westofyou (06-08-2023),Wonderful Monds (06-08-2023),WrongVerb (06-09-2023)

Am impressed with winning the series against the Dodgers at home and winning the series against the Cards on the road (I know they're down this year but still--they have the Reds' #). Still need to see more but if they take care of the Royals and don't get swept by the Astros and then play well against Colorado, I might be a believer.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-11-2023)

Reds have the same record right now as the Mets do, 31-35
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (06-11-2023),goreds2 (06-12-2023),JCM11 (06-12-2023),Ron Madden (06-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Almost the same as the 251 million dollar Padres (31-34).

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-11-2023),Tom Servo (06-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    There is nothing better than the Mets sucking. Especially when they have poured a ton of money into the team while fans and the media had high expectations.

15. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-11-2023),Ron Madden (06-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    There is nothing better than the Mets sucking. Especially when they have poured a ton of money into the team while fans and the media had high expectations.
    I love seeing big budget teams stink, but I’d be happier if the Reds were 35-31 with a healthy Lodolo and another starter.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

17. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (06-12-2023),goreds2 (06-12-2023)

With a win tonight, the Reds can pull within 3 games of .500 plus gain a half game on the Pirates and Brewers who have an off day.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2023)

They just need to go out and get some pitching. No time like the present.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    They just need to go out and get some pitching. No time like the present.
    Eh, it's much easier to sign a FA than it is to trade. You don't get a TOR or MOR arm for pennies. I don't see the reds giving up real prospects to compete this year, even if the division is there for the taking. The pitching staff is not good enough to go anywhere in the playoffs.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Eh, it's much easier to sign a FA than it is to trade. You don't get a TOR or MOR arm for pennies. I don't see the reds giving up real prospects to compete this year, even if the division is there for the taking. The pitching staff is not good enough to go anywhere in the playoffs.
    This might be their best chance for the next few years to win. Does anyone really expect the Cardinals to sit on their hands this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    This might be their best chance for the next few years to win. Does anyone really expect the Cardinals to sit on their hands this offseason?
    Best chance for the division? Or just to make the playoffs? Pitching is expensive to trade for. Just getting into the playoffs should not be the goal. Winning while in the playoffs is more important. This team is 2 high end arms short. And probably at least 1 bat.

25. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-12-2023),WrongVerb (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Best chance for the division? Or just to make the playoffs? Pitching is expensive to trade for. Just getting into the playoffs should not be the goal. Winning while in the playoffs is more important. This team is 2 high end arms short. And probably at least 1 bat.
    1. I think the experience of trying to make the play-offs and playing meaningful games in August and September will be a huge development step for the entire roster, so they should try. The Division might be won with 80 to 85 wins.

2. I agree that they probably need outside pitching to take the next step, but I don't think they need to take the next step to win this division. I'm optimistic that Lodolo and Ashcraft will both come back and be solid starting pitchers. Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and Abbot can be a pretty solid group. If they can't acquire someone, I'd let Weaver be my fifth guy and let him be the take one for the team guy. Lively and maybe Williamson move to the pen and strengthen that area.

The Reds are 4 behind in the Division, 3 behind in the Wild Card and 4 under .500. It's June 12th. They shouldn't mortgage the future to do it, but winning the Division should be the goal as soon as right now. The have help on the way. CES, Votto, Fraley, Senzel, Lodolo, Ashcraft... and some other kids developing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

27. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-12-2023),Revering4Blue (06-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The Cardinals didn’t sit on their hands last off season and look where they are. They are where they are because they are an aging team with weak pitching. The same problem the Brewers have, though their pitching is stronger. Those problems aren’t going away next year for either team, as neither has much payroll space moving forward. The Cubbies spent big this offseason, and have little to show for it.

The Pirates are the team I’d worry about the most. They are good now and that is with their Cruz SS hot prospect injured.

But I’m not worrying too much about any other team. This Reds team looks to be the most talented team in the NL Central by far next season, and that is without them adding anyone from the outside. It’s not just ELDC, it’s McLain, Steer, Friedl, India, Fraley, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Abbott, Diaz, with CES almost ready, Marte and Phillips getting close.

This team is overloaded with strong talent, so much so that they probably won’t have room for everyone next season. If I’m the rest of the division, I am asking the same question about the Reds… Do you think they are going to sit on their hands this offseason?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

29. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-12-2023),OldFashionedRed (06-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?