Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Advice on going to a Bats game?

Advice on going to a Bats game?

All:
    Thinking of driving down to Louisville tonight to see LED and CES before they get the inevitable call-up. Never been to a Bats game before. Anyone have any advice?

Where is the best place to park?

Buy tickets online or at the park?

Best section to sit for the price?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank, Brisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Advice on going to a Bats game?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    All:
    Thinking of driving down to Louisville tonight to see LED and CES before they get the inevitable call-up. Never been to a Bats game before. Anyone have any advice?

Where is the best place to park?

Buy tickets online or at the park?

Best section to sit for the price?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank, Brisco
    Hey great timing to get there prior to the two of those guys moving up to the Reds. Best place to park all depends on if you are willing to pay the $10 to park at the stadium or if you prefer to find a free spot and walk a bit. The stadium parking is rarely full and super convenient. If you want free parking, stay to the north of the stadium and there are free lots you can use that are for the waterfront park area. I've never had any issue parking there. For a unique experience, park in Jeffersonville, Indiana and walk across the Big 4 pedestrian bridge. Allow plenty of time and energy as this is a 20-30 minute walk. I used to do this often if I planned to consume several beers at the game. Nothing like a brisk 30 minute walk to knock the edge off any buzz you may have prior to driving home. Tickets - either way works perfectly well. Rarely a line at the ticket windows and the folks will help you pick a spot. If you want to be in the shade, stay on the 3rd base side of the stadium. I prefer the 1st base side, but as the sun sets you can have a pretty hot and blinding sun to be staring into. I almost always go ahead and pay for a better seat so the ushers won't have any reason to hassle me, but honestly once the 3rd inning or so rolls around, you can sit anywhere you like regardless of what seat you paid for.

Hope that helps.

4. Likes:

Brisco (05-30-2023),camisadelgolf (06-04-2023),Sea Ray (05-30-2023)

I almost always park on the street right outside the park-- either on the west or the north side. If not there, parking at Waterfront Park is free.

I get tickets beforehand, largely because I'm extremely particular about where I sit. (Seats should be on the third base side under the shade of the second deck-- unless you don't mind the full sun blasting you for nine innings. Then, sit down the first base line. Directly behind home plate is nearly impossible to find tickets if you're a group of more than two.

Grab a fried bologna sandwich. Go for all the fixings-- it's the best thing on the menu. Tuesdays are best because the beers are $2.00. Best value in town. Be forewarned-- two at a time only.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-04-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ho hum, right?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Observations from last night:
    1. LED is a kid having fun in a way I have not seen since Junior was a rookie. He is the most relaxed player on the field. Everything comes so easy to him that he may be failing to develop his baseball instincts. For example, on his first stolen base, he did not break for second until well after the pitcher had released the ball, but he was still fast enough to beat the throw. He is moving through the system so fast that we have to expect many more mental errors than the typical rookie. He is popular with his teammates, which is always a good sign and everything he does, running, throwing, fielding, hitting, he seems to do effortlessly. The stadium was pretty empty, so I am curious as to how this kid will react to the Show and its probable focus on every little foible.
    2. CES had a lot of swings and misses and every one of them seemed to be based on speed rather than location. He was way ahead or way behind on the pitch, which tells the amateur observer in me that he is guessing at pitches rather than reacting to them... as a result I think continued time in AAA is hurting him. He needs to face pitchers with a more dangerous repertoire. I also think that he is not ideal at 1B.... He belongs back at third or as a DH.
    3. Abbott throws well and he was still throwing in the mid 90s in the 7th inning. This guy is a true outcome pitcher. Either he fools them by changing speed or location or he doesn't... Either it was a K or it was hard contact. Great to see him go seven full innings with no walks. One more start and he is ready, but his era will probably be at least a point higher in Cincy than on the road.
    4. Can someone explain to me why catchers drop their gloves after giving the pitcher a target and then bring them back up to catch the pitch? I noticed that Chuckie does not drop his mitt as much as others... only about 6-8 inches, nor does he turn the glove all the way down so that the light part (front of the glove) is no longer visible. This had no effect on Abbott, but when the relievers came in for the Bats, it sure seemed to affect them. On almost every pitch the ball was going to that "second target"... the spot 6-8 inches below the original target. Lots of walks were the result. I watched the opposing catcher just to make sure I was not seeing things... he dropped his glove almost to the ground after giving a target, and always made sure to spin his wrist so that the lighter (front) of the glove was not visible to the pitcher. Chuckie does have a great arm though.

All in all a great night. Stadium is nice, parking was easy and the 2 dollar food was a good perk. I wish the crowd would get a little more in to it, though. I think I was the only person who stood up for Elly's at bat in the bottom of the ninth... I know its hard when the place is so empty, but in situations like that, the whole place should have been on their feet and in to it.

Turn Off Ads?