Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: David Bell Discusses Jonathan India's Position, Importance To The Reds

Re: David Bell Discusses Jonathan India's Position, Importance To The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't ignore your point. India may feel a little put out if he's asked to move. That's life in a competitive environment. He's a professional baseball player. If there is some one better, he loses his job. Man-up and go play third. His only other choice is to walk away. He wouldn't do that. It would be career suicide.

I just think India's feelings are secondary to the big picture and settling the defense. He's a really good player. He'll be a better player if he doesn't play 2B.
    Exactly.

I mean, at the end of the day he's going to make more money if they can find him a position in the field he's better at.

2. Turn Off Ads?

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...430527488?s=20

Rosenthal, C. Trent, and others keeping alive this narrative about India possibly being traded.

And now there's the lamest Twitter war (which is really saying something) between Kirk Herbstreit and C. Trent/Rosenthal.

Really dumb.
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 06-01-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...430527488?s=20

Rosenthal, C. Trent, and others keeping alive this narrative about India possibly being traded.

And now there's the lamest Twitter war (which is really saying something) between Kirk Herbstreit and C. Trent/Rosenthal.

Really dumb.
    I mean, trading him is probably going to happen eventually.

If it's me, when Elly comes up he's my SS, McLain is my 2B and India is moved to 3B. Senzel is shifted to platoon OF/4th OF/backup IF and he'd still get plenty of PAs via that combo (with lots of PAs vs. lefties). That's the defensive alignment that I'd use for the remainder of the season.

mth is spot on that India is a defensive liability at 2B, and once the Reds have the horses available the best move they can make with India is shifting him to a position where he's less of a defensive liability. For the remainder of 2023, that would be 3B once Elly is up. The Reds need to play players in the positions that gives the team the best chance to win, period.

I don't worry about 2024 and Noelvi Marte at 3B yet. That's a next year issue, potentially not even an issue until midway through 2024. The earliest I even think about that is this offseason.

Friedl's emergence has helped the OF and Fraley/Senzel is a nice platoon option to have, but we still need another corner OFer cause Wil Myers likely isn't the answer and Fairchild's a reserve (who has done ok filling in so far).

Keep Steer at 1B for now where he's doing fine. And finally, get Stephenson's bat warmed up to do what we know it can do.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

6. Likes:

ComputerHand (06-02-2023),mth123 (06-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    I mean, trading him is probably going to happen eventually.
    True but it's either retire or get traded (and then eventually retire), there are only two outcomes for most players.

Or go to Japan and pitch in the minor leagues. That seems to be an option, too.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-01-2023),LeatherPants (06-01-2023),mth123 (06-01-2023),Revering4Blue (06-01-2023)

How good defensively at SS is De LaCruz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ignore your point. India may feel a little put out if he's asked to move. That's life in a competitive environment. He's a professional baseball player. If there is some one better, he loses his job. Man-up and go play third. His only other choice is to walk away. He wouldn't do that. It would be career suicide.

I just think India's feelings are secondary to the big picture and settling the defense. He's a really good player. He'll be a better player if he doesn't play 2B.
    Okay, one more shot since we're still not connecting here. "Man up and play 3rd" is a choice by the Reds organization that has the potential to cause irreparable harm to the relationship with their team leader. That's not how I would handle things. To me, there is a big difference in asking a rookie or journeyman to move to accommodate a prospect. I would just tread more lightly with my leaders and stars. No, Jonathan India is not walking away from his contract but he can ask out. If I respect the man enough, I'd grant him his wish rather than saying "you're under contract buddy! suck it up!" That will permeate in the locker room.

If the Reds want to be a cut throat "eff your feelings" organization, they have every right to do so. Players will also have the right to get out of dodge ASAP
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Okay, one more shot since we're still not connecting here. "Man up and play 3rd" is a choice by the Reds organization that has the potential to cause irreparable harm to the relationship with their team leader. That's not how I would handle things. To me, there is a big difference in asking a rookie or journeyman to move to accommodate a prospect. I would just tread more lightly with my leaders and stars. No, Jonathan India is not walking away from his contract but he can ask out. If I respect the man enough, I'd grant him his wish rather than saying "you're under contract buddy! suck it up!" That will permeate in the locker room.

If the Reds want to be a cut throat "eff your feelings" organization, they have every right to do so. Players will also have the right to get out of dodge ASAP
    I didn't say eff your feelings. I said talk to him and explain the situation. Where I stop short is asking for his approval.

I honestly can't even imagine him being offended by it. He's already acknowledged that he hasn't been cutting it there. That's why he's working on his defense every day. Perhaps going back to the position he played all through the minor leagues will relieve him of a huge burden. He went to second because the Reds needed it and it opened an opportunity for him, not because it was something he wanted to do. Now the situation has changed and the Reds have the next generation of middle IF ready to take that on and India can go back to the position he's been playing his entire life. If I were him, I'd be ecstatic about that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I didn't say eff your feelings. I said talk to him and explain the situation. Where I stop short is asking for his approval.

I honestly can't even imagine him being offended by it. He's already acknowledged that he hasn't been cutting it there. That's why he's working on his defense every day. Perhaps going back to the position he played all through the minor leagues will relieve him of a huge burden. He went to second because the Reds needed it and it opened an opportunity for him, not because it was something he wanted to do. Now the situation has changed and the Reds have the next generation of middle IF ready to take that on and India can go back to the position he's been playing his entire life. If I were him, I'd be ecstatic about that.
    A million bucks says they won't do it during the season

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I did not say ask for his approval at any point. I also said he may have no problem with the move. But if that conversation ends with "man up and play 3rd", that seems like a 1-way conversation and I think he's earned more than that and think he would have every right to feel disrespected. Despite being under contract, this should be a 2-way relationship for the guy whose mug is on billboards all over the city.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Turn Off Ads?