Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 6-1-23 Reds @ Red Sox 7:10 PM

Re: 6-1-23 Reds @ Red Sox 7:10 PM

Team has 5 relievers who get the job done most of the time. Got 3 In Cruz, Herget and Salazar that can't be trusted.
    That's on the front office. Had the Reds had just a couple more reliable relievers they would have swept the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Why wasn't anyone other than Herget available?
    Because it's 2023 and everyone throws upper 90s. Not 1976 with Borbon throwing 80.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

The toughest part of a winning streak is the way it taxes your bullpen.

Kevin Herget was pitching today in the first high leverage situation of his career

At least we should have our better relievers rested and ready tomorrow for the start of our important 4 game series with Milwaukee

6. Likes:

dragonoffrost (06-02-2023),goreds2 (06-02-2023),icehole3 (06-02-2023)

David Bell has done a hell of a job holding this bullpen together. Right now he has 5 fairly reliable arms. Most teams have 7 minimum with 1 mop up guy.
    He is trying to keep everyone healthy. He won't throw guys 3 straight days. He won't pitch guys back to back days if they threw 20 plus pitches in day 1. Game one Tuesday the lesser arm couldn't hold a big lead. Forcing him to use Diaz. Which forced him to use Farmer last night to close. Farmer had gone back to back which left him unavailable tonight. Had Salazar held the lead Tuesday. We would've saw Farmer tonight in the 8th. Farmer would've had yesterday off.
    Front office needs to
    get him some help.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 06-01-2023 at 11:03 PM.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Team has 5 relievers who get the job done most of the time. Got 3 In Cruz, Herget and Salazar that can't be trusted.
    That's on the front office. Had the Reds had just a couple more reliable relievers they would have swept the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's 2023 and everyone throws upper 90s. Not 1976 with Borbon throwing 80.
    Oh, okay.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Really need Tejay Antone to get healthy and STAY healthy.

Rough loss, but it's nice to see Greene with another strong performance. He's slowly evolving into his potential.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

goreds2 (06-02-2023),icehole3 (06-02-2023),Revering4Blue (06-01-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

John Gardner interviewing the late Mike Marshall awhile back.

John: Mike, what do you think of pitch counts and the 5-man rotation?

Marshall: The ruination of baseball.

John: In the past it was not all that unusual for good starting pitchers to throw 300+ innings and they weren't babied like they were today. A guy that throws 200 innings today is known as a horse. Mike, why do you think that pitchers throw so few innings today?

Marshall: Pitch counts, five man rotations, the injurious "traditional" baseball pitching motion, wasting the off-season when they should be training and not knowing what they are doing.

John: Is there one thing that every pitcher out there today can do to help minimize his chances of suffering an arm injury?

Marshall: Learn to pendulum swing their pitching arm to driveline height to arrive at the same time their glove foot lands and powerfully pronate their releases of all pitches.

John; Mike, what do you think of the state of ML baseball today.

Marshall: Terrible. Nobody has any idea on how to teach and train baseball pitchers and pitching is ninety percent of baseball.

John: Mike, one final question. Who do you think should be the next commissioner of MLB?

Marshall: Another goofball with no knowledge of baseball.

For those who don't know Mike Marshall pitched in the '70's with a number of teams. He finished in the top seven in Cy Young voting five times, winning the NL Cy Young in 1974, the year he pitched 208.1 innings in 106 appearances , ALL IN RELIEF. for an average of about two innings per appearance. He once threw 11.1 inning of relief IN ONE DAY!

Mr Marshall threw something called a screwball. Some of you youngsters may not even be very familiar with the pitch. I used to try to throw the old screwball. Try it for yourself. Imagine throwing 208 innings of screwballs!

I understand that, in 2023, neither Farmer , nor Young could have gotten three outs today. Impossible. So, Kevin Herget was it... in a tie-game at Fenway with a potential six-game winning streak and two games out of first on the line. Does anyone else agree with Marshall about the state of baseball in 2023, in particular in regards to the babying of pitchers or do you agree that no one but Herget could have thrown a pitch in the eighth tonight and that the other arms would have fallen off if they'd thrown a pitch? I do understand 2023 baseball. Doesn't mean I have to like everything about it. So Kevin Herget Me, Herget MeNot is it , I guess. RIP Dr Mike(if you can).
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-02-2023 at 12:07 AM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    Really need Tejay Antone to get healthy and STAY healthy.
    I think Tejay being Healthy is a pipedream. Hope I'm wrong.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Nobody has ever said their arms would fall off.

Pitchers back in the day trained all of their lives to pitch the way they did, and for every one that made it to the major leagues countless others damaged their arms and would never throw a pitch in mlb.

It cost a whole lot more money for pitching talent now than it did back then. Teams want to protect their investments.

In order to try to protect pitchers arms from little league on up to the major leagues pitchers just aren't trained to pitch that much now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Pitchers back in the day trained all of their lives to pitch the way they did, and for every one that made it to the major leagues countless others damaged their arms and would never throw a pitch in mlb.

It cost a whole lot more money for pitching talent now than it did back then. Teams want to protect their investments.

In order to try to protect pitchers arms from little league on up to the major leagues pitchers just aren't trained to pitch that much now days.
    I know, it's a different game today. I know what you're saying is fact. It's also why I just follow Reds' games. Haven't watched another team play in, I couldn't tell you how long. Haven't watched a playoff game since the Reds were last involved. You and I both love the Reds with all our heart. You're an awesome Reds' fan. You're a great fan of modern baseball. I used to be a big fan of baseball. Now, I'm pretty much just a Reds fan. I pretty much agree with Pete Rose and Mike Marshall about how the changes implemented have adversely affected the game. Those guys weren't able to move on and adjust to the new game. I guess I'm kinda like them. Still love my Reds, though!!!
    ---- Bill Vaughn

When there were 16 teams with 10 pitchers per team that was 160 ML pitchers, now with 30 teams with 13 pitchers per team thats 390 ML pitchers----lots of room for bad pitchers

18. Likes:

mth123 (06-02-2023)

He knows all this, he just doesn't care. They did it in the 1970's so they should be able to do it today. The end.

20. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-02-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

My dad texted me last night saying 'it looks like the Reds are playing well.' He asked where Votto was, then said 'looks like they could use a little bully help. But everybody does. Even the braves bully sucks except for their closer'

So it's not just the Reds. Strange days indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He knows all this, he just doesn't care. They did it in the 1970's so they should be able to do it today. The end.
    This. Kyfried is obviously a intelligent guy. I struggle to put a sentence together.
    But every time he disagrees with Bell's choice to pitch a certain reliever. We get another Mike Marshall or old hoss reference.
    I may not like the way pitchers are handled today. But I understand why and have accepted the fact that no matter how much I complain its not going to change a thing.
    The good old days weren't so good for the players. They were underpaid. The majority of those guys had to work offseason jobs. While the owners raked in money. Pitchers were over worked and thrown away when they couldn't pitch any more.
    Go read about Gary Nolan. He was told by Sparky and Howsman suck it up kid you have to pitch with pain.
    Frank Jobe operated on him. Extended his career a couple years.
    Told him I have no idea how you pitched in that much pain. All while having Sparky not even believe he was in pain.

23. Likes:

LeatherPants (06-02-2023),Ron Madden (06-02-2023)

Turn Off Ads?