Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Not Inclined To Trade Jonathan India

Re: Reds Not Inclined To Trade Jonathan India

I’ve always felt that Reds were headed to CES, McLain, EDLC and Marte in the infield. With others having to find another role. But now, India, Steer, Senzel (to an extent), all are having good years. And Reds don’t seem to be moving guys to OF positions very much.

So now I’m concluding that some trades are inevitable. And the target area is mostly pitching. Reds have some good kids on the mound but lack SP depth and impact relievers.

My current thinking is Reds aren’t trying to squeeze them all in. Some will be moved out.

I’d posit that maybe a trade of Marte, Senzel and Williamson could get you a mid-rotation established starter. After all, Marte headed the Castillo package. I’d posit that Steer or India could become a LFer over the winter. But somehow, they will have to confront this logjam, I hope there’s a good plan.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-03-2023 at 10:42 AM.

2. Likes:

JCM11 (06-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I would seriously look at dealing India, but if I did the other team would be screaming in pain. Any return would have to successfully address at least two of middle/bottom of the rotation starter, high-leverage ceiling LH reliever, solid power potential right fielder all-around strong catcher (preferably with a LH/SH bat).

I love Indy. His clubhouse/on-field value alone makes him worthy of keeping, but I also look down the road and see a potential IF of CES, McClain, EDLC & Marte with Steer as DH and the first option off the bench at first, second and third (McLain & Marte would be very capable backups at short, if needed) with Senzel still in the mix as well at this point.

While India has strong value for the Reds:
    1) he does not have a solid defensive fit and the kids seem to have more potential with the glove.
    2) his power doesn't really profile that well at a corner IF/OF spot
    3) with the limited resources for the club and the presence of budding young infielders in the system, I don't see India as an extension candidate
    4) his remaining control should make him a very attractive trade target for other organizations

Much of my reasoning with India would probably apply with Stephenson as well (although I would likely target his replacement from outside).

One other note: If they don't intend in moving JI between now and ST '25 at the peak of his value, they need to start working at least one of McLain, Elly, Marte or Steer in the OF now. (India's arm doesn't really make him an ideal OF candidate).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-03-2023 at 11:19 AM.

If Marte is dealt I'd need more than a mid rotation guy. For Marte I'd want to deal for a Dylan Cease. Cease is trending in the wrong direction, but is just 27 and had a great year in 2022. If the White Sox made him available I'd put Marte in play. The Reds would have to be fully committed to winning in 2024 if a deal like that goes down no half measures. I'd prefer to deal for a SP with more control than Cease that was in an uptrend(similar to the Latos deal), but I'll have to look for a match.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    If Marte is dealt I'd need more than a mid rotation guy. For Marte I'd want to deal for a Dylan Cease. Cease is trending in the wrong direction, but is just 27 and had a great year in 2022. If the White Sox made him available I'd put Marte in play. The Reds would have to be fully committed to winning in 2024 if a deal like that goes down no half measures. I'd prefer to deal for a SP with more control than Cease that was in an uptrend(similar to the Latos deal), but I'll have to look for a match.
    I think if you find the right partner, India would bring a better return than Marte. I know there are going to say don't fall in love with/rely on prospects (and normally I would agree 100%), but the Reds have painted themselves into a corner where if the young'uns don't succeed, the Reds don't, so they might as well go all-in.

I'd sooner trade the prospects for proven talent, not the other way around.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'd sooner trade the prospects for proven talent, not the other way around.
    Yeah at some point you have to add some proven veteran talent. They can do this via the free agent market and keep the prospects, but one of the two or perhaps both needs to happen. They will get a prospect at #7 in the draft that will be an easy top 10 in the system to replace anyone they might trade from the current top 10. I would like at least a #3 SP, and a proven middle of the order caliber OF bat. CES and Elly are capable of being middle of the order forces, but you can put a vet in there with them to help take some pressure off early on. Throw in a few decent RP as well and this is team that can make some real noise in 2024.

Turn Off Ads?