Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: C Trent

Re: C Trent

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Paul Daughtery sucks too, but usually the Paul Sucks threads involve something he wrote. Now if we want to make fun of C Trent because he's a pure 90s rock guy who never saw Pavement then sure go ahead, but as I said previously context is nice
    While he occasionally writes a nice article or two, he puts up maybe a third of the content his peer Cincinnati writers (Bengals, Bearcats) put out for the Athletic. And the quality of his articles is far lower than those peer writers. I think he’s less talented and lazy. So setting aside all of the Twitter nonsense and general personality issues, he’s adequate at best at his job.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Likes:

JFLegal (06-03-2023),OesterPoster (06-06-2023),Old school 1983 (06-03-2023),Powder River (06-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    While he occasionally writes a nice article or two, he puts up maybe a third of the content his peer Cincinnati writers (Bengals, Bearcats) put out for the Athletic. And the quality of his articles is far lower than those peer writers. I think he’s less talented and lazy. So setting aside all of the Twitter nonsense and general personality issues, he’s adequate at best at his job.
    This is what I’ve always noticed. Seems like you can go weeks without seeing an article he’s written. How do these guys get paid? Because if it’s by salary he seems to be a master as doing as little as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

wolfboy (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    This is what I’ve always noticed. Seems like you can go weeks without seeing an article he’s written. How do these guys get paid? Because if it’s by salary he seems to be a master as doing as little as possible.

I'm fairly certain that the guys from the Enquirer get more access than the guys from the Athletic and if you do read the Athletic (which destroys any sports coverage a local can do) you'll notice more ML content from C Trent as it looks like he doesn't hit every road trip destination and instead might go to Louisville or Dayton and write about that. Point is Trent is more of a columnist type than the Enquirer guys who report on the "game" pretty much with some articles here and there, he's actually more in the vein of the guys who would write for the afternoon papers like the Post. These guys didn't write every day, they did stories on players and approaches more than report the game like Charlie Goldsmith does

7. Likes:

Always Red (06-06-2023)

I do subscribe to the Athletic, and find that C Trent’s are very informative and in-depth. I don’t compare his articles to the Cincy Enquirer writers. I stopped reading it twenty years ago. Paul D was a huge reason why.

C Trent doesn’t beat a dead horse by constantly harping about the Reds FO. Where he excels is in shining the spotlight on a particular player or related subject pertaining to the team, and gives the entire back story to inform the reader.

As far as C Trent’s personal life, I was unaware that a little-known sports writer was supposed to be a beacon of virtue.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

mbgrayson (06-06-2023),Powder River (06-03-2023),RedEye (06-03-2023)

I'm fairly certain that the guys from the Enquirer get more access than the guys from the Athletic and if you do read the Athletic (which destroys any sports coverage a local can do) you'll notice more ML content from C Trent as it looks like he doesn't hit every road trip destination and instead might go to Louisville or Dayton and write about that. Point is Trent is more of a columnist type than the Enquirer guys who report on the "game" pretty much with some articles here and there, he's actually more in the vein of the guys who would write for the afternoon papers like the Post. These guys didn't write every day, they did stories on players and approaches more than report the game like Charlie Goldsmith does
    I do read the athletic….have been a subscriber for probably 4 years now. You are correct in that they don’t really provide your daily game write ups of any sport really. But go and compare Trent’s coverage to Braves coverage, or Orioles coverage…Bengals coverage. Huge difference in the amount of content he puts out vs the others who are on beats that work for the athletic.

11. Likes:

JFLegal (06-03-2023),wolfboy (06-04-2023)

Paul Daughtery sucks too, but usually the Paul Sucks threads involve something he wrote. Now if we want to make fun of C Trent because he's a pure 90s rock guy who never saw Pavement then sure go ahead, but as I said previously context is nice
    Well, overall, I think he is an insufferable person/writer. There are hundreds of examples. But the latest instance was his terrible story on India ... and then his reaction to the blowback. Kirk Herbstreit (who I'm not a big fan of, but that's a topic for a different day) is a huge Reds fan and called out the story. Basically Herbie was saying the exact same thing as 99% of Reds fans (because he is a Reds fan).

C.Trent decides to throw a fit on Twitter, said Herbstreit was "telling him how to do his job" and other childish nonsense.

He is not even a good writer, but is so damn full of himself. I also get the feeling he does not really like baseball. Always trying to find a negative spin on something. JMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Paul Dehner Jr. (Bengals writer for The Athletic) is light years better than Trent.

13. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    I do read the athletic….have been a subscriber for probably 4 years now. You are correct in that they don’t really provide your daily game write ups of any sport really. But go and compare Trent’s coverage to Braves coverage, or Orioles coverage…Bengals coverage. Huge difference in the amount of content he puts out vs the others who are on beats that work for the athletic.

I agree it's seems much less than in the past, but I can't compare it to the Braves beat guy, I don't read that stuff

But let's look

Reds - https://theathletic.com/author/c-trent-rosecrans/

Braves - https://theathletic.com/author/david-obrien/
    Braves - https://theathletic.com/author/jeff-schultz/

One thing to note is Atlanta has two writers, O'Brien exclusively on the Braves and Schultz on Atlanta as a whole. Plus with the Braves being one of the better teams in MLB there are a plethora of articles by national guys on the team as well.

The bigger cities will always have a little more coverage probably, but looking at C Trent's it looks pretty consistent for one guy. Writing well is hard, I prefer quality over quantity and fresh content over regurgitated content

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (06-07-2023)

I agree it's seems much less than in the past, but I can't compare it to the Braves beat guy, I don't read that stuff

But let's look

Reds - https://theathletic.com/author/c-trent-rosecrans/

Braves - https://theathletic.com/author/david-obrien/
    Braves - https://theathletic.com/author/jeff-schultz/

One thing to note is Atlanta has two writers, O'Brien exclusively on the Braves and Schultz on Atlanta as a whole. Plus with the Braves being one of the better teams in MLB there are a plethora of articles by national guys on the team as well.

The bigger cities will always have a little more coverage probably, but looking at C Trent's it looks pretty consistent for one guy. Writing well is hard, I prefer quality over quantity and fresh content over regurgitated content
    Not sure if you are a Bengals fan, but if you are, give a deep comparison to the quality of Paul Dehner's articles to those from Trent. There is a vast delta. Both work for The Athletic. Both cover a pro sports team in Cincinnati. And Dehner is far better. (And I liked him even when the Bengals sucked during the latter part of the Dalton years, so it's not just because the Bengals are now good.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Ask the women of Reds Twitter what they think about him.
    Is there a story here? Do tell.

17. Likes:

wolfboy (06-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Well, overall, I think he is an insufferable person/writer. There are hundreds of examples. But the latest instance was his terrible story on India ... and then his reaction to the blowback. Kirk Herbstreit (who I'm not a big fan of, but that's a topic for a different day) is a huge Reds fan and called out the story. Basically Herbie was saying the exact same thing as 99% of Reds fans (because he is a Reds fan).

C.Trent decides to throw a fit on Twitter, said Herbstreit was "telling him how to do his job" and other childish nonsense.

He is not even a good writer, but is so damn full of himself. I also get the feeling he does not really like baseball. Always trying to find a negative spin on something. JMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Paul Dehner Jr. (Bengals writer for The Athletic) is light years better than Trent.
    I agree with Ken R on this

Ken’s Corner: Reporting vs. rooting

Allow me a word of explanation on L’Affaire Herbstreit.

Last weekend I teamed up with our Reds beat writer, C. Trent Rosecrans, on a story both of us found fascinating — the future of Reds second baseman Jonathan India once the team promotes one of its top prospects, shortstop Elly De La Cruz.

This hardly is a topic Trent and I picked out of thin air; it is a subject of almost daily discussion among Reds people. So, while preparing for last Saturday’s Reds-Cubs broadcast on Fox, I asked India about the subject. He did not take offense to the line of questioning. He understood why I was asking and answered professionally. His line that stood out most, reflecting a veteran’s understanding of how the game works, was this: “There are always guys behind you. Always.”

Trent and I were careful to note in the article that India is the unquestioned leader and heart and soul of the team. But some fans took exception to the mere suggestion that one of the Reds’ options, though not a particularly appealing one, was to trade India. One of those fans was ESPN broadcaster Kirk Herbstreit.

The website Awful Announcing did a thorough roundup of the subsequent back-and-forth that escalated from Twitter to my podcast, “Fair Territory,” to a YouTube show I am affiliated with, “Foul Territory,” and then back to Twitter again.

I had no problem with Herbstreit reacting as a fan, even though as an ESPN employee he should have at least a passing understanding of how journalism works. But when he responded to Trent by calling him “a troll looking for attention” who should “hustle back to creating clicks and causing trouble,” all I could do was laugh and say, as I did on Twitter, that he was being ridiculous.

You root for the team, Kirk. We’ll report on it. There’s a difference, OK?
    https://theathletic.com/4574951/2023...it-the-windup/

I also don't compare football writing to baseball writing, it much like the sports is a completely different game

19. Likes:

dreghorntwo (06-03-2023),Ron Madden (06-03-2023)

Dude is a drama queen with an inflated ego. Not unheard of in his profession.

His work is mediocre at best. Not even his little tirades are fun or interesting. Just whiny and lazy.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-03-2023),REDREAD (06-05-2023),RollyInRaleigh (06-03-2023)

I agree with Ken R on this

https://theathletic.com/4574951/2023...it-the-windup/

I also don't compare football writing to baseball writing, it much like the sports is a completely different game
    That's interesting. I find it rather easy to compare the quality of work from sportswriters across many different sports. An A+ writer is an A+ writer.

I subscribe to both the Athletic and the Enquirer. C Trent is ok but I read the Athletic more for other teams coverage. At the Enquirer, Charlie Goldsmith and Bobby Nightengale are good nuts and bolts writers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Always Red (06-06-2023),NebraskaRed (06-03-2023),Ron Madden (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    As far as C Trent’s personal life, I was unaware that a little-known sports writer was supposed to be a beacon of virtue.
    Stalking women who tell him “no” is a bit more than that. And yes there’s proof, and no I’m not going to share it, but it’s out in public if you want to go looking for it.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-03-2023),pahster (06-06-2023),RollyInRaleigh (06-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    That's interesting. I find it rather easy to compare the quality of work from sportswriters across many different sports. An A+ writer is an A+ writer.
    I can compare writers, I just can't weigh the writing of one sport over the other, Football writing is a lot about preparation for the battle, only 17 recaps of a battle, baseball is a daily thing with more variables affecting the subject matter. I do wish everyone was Paul Gallico, but those days are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    Dude is a drama queen with an inflated ego. Not unheard of in his profession.

His work is mediocre at best. Not even his little tirades are fun or interesting. Just whiny and lazy.
    It's a bad look, but let's remember this is a profession that in film, books, real history has consistently displayed the reporter either as a cynical everyman or sloppy drunk who loved to pontificate.

Turn Off Ads?