Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson

Re: Tyler Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Oh Geno. The worst decision he has ever made was to try and hit home runs every AB.
    He's currently mirroring his 2021 season with less HR's and a better BABIP, Safco can kill your power (.310 there)

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-12-2023),NebraskaRed (06-05-2023),Old school 1983 (06-05-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stephenson is the only Red with more than 50 K's (64) which is 21st worst in MLB, the next Red is Meyers at #97 with 48. Like Meyers he's seeing the ball for crap and when he does hit it it is without much authority.

Side Note: Seattle has four guy's with more than 70 K's all in the top ten of K's, it's killing their offense too.
    The worst combination is a high strike out guy who also has no power. The Reds have had a lot of these guys. Barrero is one. Reynolds last year was another

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    If we could get Petty and a Fraley for him, I’d do it right now. Twice.
    Why?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley58 View Post
    Dunno why he isn't hitting but I am really tired of watching him get thrown out at first by five or six steps. He doesn't even run out double plays. I wouldn't tolerate this if I were managing. I know he isn't fast but he isn't even in position to take first on an error or fumbled DP turn.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he plays catcher, and doesn’t want to risk lower body injuries by pointlessly sprinting out ground balls to reassure fans that he cares SO MUCH about winning? Because as we can see from this thread, Reds fans are very patient and understanding when players get hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The worst combination is a high strike out guy who also has no power. The Reds have had a lot of these guys. Barrero is one. Reynolds last year was another
    Tyler Stephenson (career, 838 PA): .280/.357/.424
    Johnny Bench (career): .267/.342./.476
    Johnny Bench (1st 700 PA): .260/.297/.409

How’s that combination work for you?

Been almost ten years since I’ve been on a Reds message board — seems like the time-honored traditions of turning on players the moment they struggle or get hurt and fixating on their weaknesses while ignoring their strengths are still alive and well. Do we still blame the best players when the team struggles too?
    Last edited by BurtReds; 06-06-2023 at 07:59 PM.

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-06-2023),CaiGuy (06-07-2023),CmdrCody (06-08-2023),cumberlandreds (06-07-2023),NDRed (06-07-2023),Redhook (06-06-2023),Redsfaithful (06-07-2023),Ron Madden (08-20-2023),wally post (06-07-2023),westofyou (06-06-2023)

Per Sparky, you can’t compare any catcher to Mr Bench.

10. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BurtReds View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he plays catcher, and doesn’t want to risk lower body injuries by pointlessly sprinting out ground balls to reassure fans that he cares SO MUCH about winning? Because as we can see from this thread, Reds fans are very patient and understanding when players get hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Been almost ten years since I’ve been on a Reds message board — seems like the time-honored traditions of turning on players the moment they struggle or get hurt and fixating on their weaknesses while ignoring their strengths are still alive and well. Do we still blame the best players when the team struggles too?

1. Elly excitement will bring a lot of folks back.

2. Absolutely excellent first post of the decade.

12. Likes:

CmdrCody (06-08-2023)

i honestly feel Tyler's shoulder was still bugging him early in the season as his swing is starting to look alot better the past week. ..

14. Likes:

CmdrCody (06-08-2023),Old school 1983 (06-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    i honestly feel Tyler's shoulder was still bugging him early in the season as his swing is starting to look alot better the past week. ..
    Ya the oppo homer the other day was a nice surprise. Just seems a little quicker bat, less laboured. There’s definitely more there and deserves patience post injury.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

16. Likes:

goreds2 (06-07-2023)

I think the Reds will need to swallow the idea of Stephenson being the regular catcher who can be spelled by a Casali type. I don't see much room for him at DH or 1B moving forward, an idea which made more sense before adding McLain and Elly and probably CES soon.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-07-2023),LeatherPants (06-07-2023),Wonderful Monds (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BurtReds View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Oh brother. A time honored tradition of RZ is to cherrypick stats. Are you seriously comparing Ty Steve with Johnny Bench? Johnny was 19 yrs old when he was called up and it was a dead ball era in MLB. Let's cut right to this: In Johnny's first full season (age 20) his oWAR was 4.6. So far this year TySteve's is 0.2. Are you seriously comparing their offensive games???

I'm not giving up on Ty Steve but I'm sure not comparing him to John Bench either

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think the Reds will need to swallow the idea of Stephenson being the regular catcher who can be spelled by a Casali type. I don't see much room for him at DH or 1B moving forward, an idea which made more sense before adding McLain and Elly and probably CES soon.
    Agreed. His game doesn't work at any other position

20. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (06-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would be open to moving him for the right return and going defense first at catcher. If there's the right team needing catching help at the deadline I think we could get a solid pitching prospect back. Maybe Stephenson plus a good prospect or two could land us a good MLB SP this off season.

22. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-07-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I would be open to moving him for the right return and going defense first at catcher. If there's the right team needing catching help at the deadline I think we could get a solid pitching prospect back. Maybe Stephenson plus a good prospect or two could land us a good MLB SP this off season.
    I wouldn’t give up on the prospect of having a JT Realmuto behind the plate, but if I’m selling him, I’m not doing so until he’s recovered a bit of value. You don’t sell low on guys like TySteve.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-07-2023),LeatherPants (06-07-2023),Revering4Blue (06-08-2023)

Ty Steve four games a week behind the dish and maybe (mmmaaaayyyyybbbeee) one game a week at DH with Casali or Maile (whoever they choose to keep up) getting the other starts makes sense to me.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

26. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-07-2023),Dave C (06-07-2023),Tom Servo (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I wouldn’t give up on the prospect of having a JT Realmuto behind the plate, but if I’m selling him, I’m not doing so until he’s recovered a bit of value. You don’t sell low on guys like TySteve.
    Realmuto has a career 8.5 dWAR and two gold gloves. Stephenson just isn't very good behind the plate, and the Reds won't need a bat first catcher by the time CES and Marte are up. It could be smart to let him rebuild some value the rest of the season, but it could also backfire if he gets hurt or regresses more.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Realmuto has a career 8.5 dWAR and two gold gloves. Stephenson just isn't very good behind the plate, and the Reds won't need a bat first catcher by the time CES and Marte are up. It could be smart to let him rebuild some value the rest of the season, but it could also backfire if he gets hurt or regresses more.
    I think TySteve is perfectly acceptable behind the dish, if he can hit the way he has most of his career. I don’t think the ship has sailed on that yet, and I think still not being 100% from a collarbone/shoulder injury could definitely explain what’s going on.

Honestly I don’t think there’s much missed opportunity cost by hanging onto TySteve and seeing if he rebounds to his usual numbers, and missing out on the chance to trade him for somebody’s Chase Petty or whatever if he doesn’t.

29. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-07-2023),Dave C (06-07-2023),LeatherPants (06-07-2023),Revering4Blue (06-08-2023)

Turn Off Ads?