Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: LHP Andrew Abbott Getting the Call

Re: LHP Andrew Abbott Getting the Call

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

In Andrew Abbott’s MLB debut, he allowed one hit in six shutout innings.

Then after the game, Luke Maile said, “There’s a next level to his game that he hasn’t found yet.”

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-06-2023),Old school 1983 (06-06-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    Why don’t you explain what “Service time loophole” you’re making up here. I’m personally tired of hearing people who don’t know anything about it stating it.
    I believe the loophole is how to control a player longer by manipulation via when you make the call up and how much the player plays during the first few years of their MLB career.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Eh to each their own but I have a higher standard of pedigree.

I mean Matheu Nelson has more pedigree than Abbott then, some might say. Who he be some may ask? The Reds round 1 comp pick that same year, 35th overall.
    Given the team's recent history, I'd give whoever pulls the switch a short, sharp shock if he started to reach for a catcher before round 11.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

6. Likes:

Benihana (06-17-2023),RedTeamGo! (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Given the team's recent history, I'd give whoever pulls the switch a short, sharp shock if he started to reach for a catcher before round 11.
    Eh, every year is different. Kyle Teel looks like a real guy too. A LH-hitting catcher who profiles as a plus hit guy has real value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd do Joe Boyle, with the express purpose of making him a reliever if he can't find the strike zone as a starter.
    I've been on board with this idea for awhile because of his walk issues, but then he goes and Ks 18 and walks 3 in his last 2 starts.

If the Reds move him to the pen soon, we could have a potentially electric back end of the bullpen by the end of the year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Abbott's curve ball ranks in the top 10 in MLB this year in spin rate. It jumped out to me as his best pitch in his debut.
    Last edited by JCM11; 06-06-2023 at 06:44 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Abbott's curve ball ranks in the top in MLB this year in spin rate. It jumped out to me as his best pitch in his debut.
    He's going to dominate if he can continue to throw it for strikes.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    A LH-hitting catcher who profiles as a plus hit guy has real value.
    I don't disagree with that. But the guys they have picked lately have all been RHHs.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

Andrew Abbott has thrown 11.2 scoreless innings to start off his big league career!

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-10-2023),Gallen5862 (06-17-2023),goreds2 (06-10-2023),Old school 1983 (06-10-2023),Revering4Blue (06-10-2023),Sea Ray (06-12-2023),SirFelixCat (06-11-2023),wolfboy (06-10-2023)

First Reds pitcher since 1893 to throw 5+ scoreless innings in each of his first two ML starts. That's 130 years, folks. Just two years after Old Hoss Radbourn ended his career with the Reds.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-10-2023 at 11:02 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

15. Likes:

goreds2 (06-10-2023),JFLegal (06-11-2023),Kingspoint (06-11-2023),Old school 1983 (06-11-2023)

Which comes first? Abbott gives up a run or EDLC has a hitless game?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

goreds2 (06-10-2023),SirFelixCat (06-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Which comes first? Abbott gives up a run or EDLC has a hitless game?
    EDLC goes hitless.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    First Reds pitcher since 1893 to throw 5+ scoreless innings in each of his first two ML starts. That's 130 years, folks. Just two years after Old Hoss Radbourn ended his career with the Reds.
    I just got a book published in 1894 (from my Spouse for my Birthday) and the 2nd printing was in 1895 on every event that happened in the world in 1894. The World and the U. S. was in deep stagnation so it's great to read a current perspective of that year and time. I love when things happen that wake up the past, that haven't been seen by human eyes in more than a Century.

So many quirky things that are good are happening for the REDS this season, I fully expect three more things to happen this week that haven't happened in 40 years or more.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    EDLC goes hitless.
    Only because he plays five times as many games.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Reds rookie Andrew Abbott sets major-league record in win over Houston Astros

After two consecutive scoreless starts to open his big-league career, what could Cincinnati Reds left-hander Andrew Abbott have left for an encore against the Houston Astros on Friday night?

How about six more scoreless innings against the reigning World Series champs on the road?

How about a 2-1 victory for the Reds that boosted their winning streak to a season-high six games and their season record back to a sea-level 35-35 for the season two months after that miserable 7-15 start?

Before the opener of the three-game series, Reds manager David Bell called the Houston series a "good test" for his surging team.

If this was a test, Abbott aced it and then some.

When he got through the fourth inning without allowing a run, Abbott (3-0) reached 15 2/3 scoreless innings to start his career, breaking Wayne Simpson's 1970 franchise record of 15 innings (records going back to 1893 when the mound was moved to its current distance).

When he was done for the night, after six four-hit innings and 83 pitches, he had become the first major-league pitcher since that 1893 benchmark season to begin his career with three consecutive scoreless starts of at least five innings.

Continue Reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...os/ar-AA1cF1rW

22. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-17-2023),cumberlandreds (06-17-2023),Old school 1983 (06-17-2023),Redhook (06-17-2023),Tuff Nut (06-17-2023),villain612 (06-17-2023)

Turn Off Ads?