Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Re: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Reds No. 16 prospect Rece Hinds hits a two-run home run to center field in the top of the 5th inning for Double-A Chattanooga

https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/vid...98-default-vtp

Hector Rodriguez and Sal Stewart homer.

https://twitter.com/daytonatortugas/...08684113149952

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-25-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Reds No. 16 prospect Rece Hinds hits a two-run home run to center field in the top of the 5th inning for Double-A Chattanooga

https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/vid...98-default-vtp
    Doug provided some pictoral evidence of a Hinds' set-up change. He's moved his hands away from his body about six inches and closer to the pitcher about that same amount:

(It's easier to see on side shots, but I'm too lazy to research for those. Watch him when you can on MILB channel to see.) That's made him shorter to the ball, and he's put up the following 28-day month line as a result: .329/ .412/ .695/ 1.108. Not sure when he made the switch-- but we do (according to Doug) know it's been in the last month or so. That's allowed him to cut his strike outs by a third, but he's still K'ing too much-- 31 in 97 PAs over his last 28 days. (That ought to give you an idea of how bad his swing was pre-switch.) He is, however, walking a bit more (9). That works out to about an 8.5% BB rate, and that's the bare minimum for a true offensive prospect, IMO, at a corner position. Especially one who profiles as a (well) below average hit tool.

The league will adjust, of course, but the June numbers give me some hope that Hinds may have finally figured something out. If he has, he's an Adam Duvall type, complete with above average defense and speed.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 06-24-2023 at 11:42 AM.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-24-2023),Benihana (06-24-2023),icehole3 (06-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Doug provided some pictoral evidence of a Hinds' set-up change. He's moved his hands away from his body about six inches and closer to the pitcher about that same amount:

(It's easier to see on side shots, but I'm too lazy to research for those. Watch him when you can on MILB channel to see.) That's made him shorter to the ball, and he's put up the following 28-day month line as a result: .329/ .412/ .695/ 1.108. Not sure when he made the switch-- but we do (according to Doug) know it's been in the last month or so. That's allowed him to cut his strike outs by a third, but he's still K'ing too much-- 31 in 97 PAs over his last 28 days. (That ought to give you an idea of how bad his swing was pre-switch.) He is, however, walking a bit more (9). That works out to about an 8.5% BB rate, and that's the bare minimum for a true offensive prospect, IMO, at a corner position. Especially one who profiles as a (well) below average hit tool.

The league will adjust, of course, but the June numbers give me some hope that Hinds may have finally figured something out. If he has, he's an Adam Duvall type, complete with above average defense and speed.
    Him, EDLC, Marte, Austin Hendrick and CES are guys who can hit 500 foot bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Him, EDLC, Marte, Austin Hendrick and CES are guys who can hit 500 foot bombs.
    If Hinds figures it out, he can become very interesting very quickly. May make it easier for the Reds to part with guys like Senzel since a real short side of a platoon could be coming
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 06-24-2023 at 02:00 PM.

8. Likes:

icehole3 (06-24-2023)

Connor Phillips only pitched 2 outs into the first inning and was taken out. Anyone know what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Connor Phillips only pitched 2 outs into the first inning and was taken out. Anyone know what happened?
    Mess of an inning and got to 35 pitches. Apparently Reds minors leagues have a rule not to let guys more than 35 in an inning and pulled him per Doug Dirt.
    Last edited by HammerTime; 06-24-2023 at 09:28 PM.

11. Likes:

Rick Palmer (06-24-2023)

Julian Aguiar’s night: 6.0 innings, 0 Runs, 3 H, 6 K, 1 BB. ERA now at 1.97.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

13. Likes:

goreds2 (06-26-2023),klw (06-25-2023),Old school 1983 (06-25-2023)

Rece Hinds went 3 for 5 last night and his OPS now up to .826 and is higher than Blake Dunn (.814), Quincy McAfee (.818) and Noelvi Marte (.820).

Not sure if it make Hinds the best prospect down there, but it makes me less hesitant about dealing Marte for a starting pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rece Hinds went 3 for 5 last night and his OPS now up to .826 and is higher than Blake Dunn (.814), Quincy McAfee (.818) and Noelvi Marte (.820).

Not sure if it make Hinds the best prospect down there, but it makes me less hesitant about dealing Marte for a starting pitcher.
    Marte 38 SO in 196 AB's. Hinds 100 SO in 239 AB's. Even with his recent hot streak I would consider it a minor miracle if Hinds ever hit MLB pitching. I would absolutely be looking to use his recent success in a trade for a team that wanted to gamble on him hitting MLB pitching. Last season he had an outstanding month of May before turning into a pumpkin again. I like that he's doing well, but it doesn't effect my thoughts on Marte being far more likely to hit MLB pitching.

16. Likes:

Dave C (06-25-2023),Old school 1983 (06-25-2023),Tony Cloninger (06-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Marte 38 SO in 196 AB's. Hinds 100 SO in 239 AB's. Even with his recent hot streak I would consider it a minor miracle if Hinds ever hit MLB pitching. I would absolutely be looking to use his recent success in a trade for a team that wanted to gamble on him hitting MLB pitching. Last season he had an outstanding month of May before turning into a pumpkin again. I like that he's doing well, but it doesn't effect my thoughts on Marte being far more likely to hit MLB pitching.
    I would too, but other teams can read the same stats you can. You want somebody worth getting, its probably Marte. You might get a rental or a bad contract for Hinds. Hinds for Lorenzen might be a possibility. These selling teams have no urgency to trade unless you make it worth it for them. If I had Lorenzen, I'd absolutely deal him for Hinds on July 31. On June 25th, I'd hold out for a better offer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Edwin Arroyo walked and sauntered home on Ruben Ibarra's 8th home run of the season. The homer pushed Ibarra's OPS up and over the .800 mark. Good for the Midwest League. Derek Law pitched a scoreless inning to start off his rehab stint. Matheu Nelson just cracked his 11th home run on the season for the Dragons. The 11 home runs has him tied for second in the the league. Although, as a catcher, he has far fewer ABs than any of the other leaders. Jose Acuna, and his 2.58 ERA, have assumed control of the pitching rubber.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-25-2023 at 01:48 PM.

19. Likes:

Rick Palmer (06-25-2023)

It was 3-2 Dragons after 2 innings of play, and that is how it ended up. Jose Acuna went 5 innings giving up 4 hits, while walking 2. He allowed 2 runs (1 earned) and fanned 4. His ERA dropped to 2.40. 3 of the 4 hits allowed by Acuna came to the first 3 batters that he faced. The fourth hit was a ground ball to the first baseman.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-25-2023 at 03:43 PM.

21. Likes:

Rick Palmer (06-25-2023)

A clean sweep in the minors today. Marte and CES got the day off. 44 total runs scored on 53 hits. Dayton only scored 3 of them on 4 hits in a 3-2 win. The Lookouts got 10, Daytona got 12 and Louisville had 19.

23. Likes:

goreds2 (06-26-2023)

Now that the Southern League first half is over, it seems it's the right time to see some promotions.

Noelvi Marte already got the call to AAA, but what about Connor Phillips and even Lyon Richardson?

I'd also hope and expect they bump one or two of Chase Petty, Jose Acuna and Julian Aguiar to Chattanooga for the second half of their season to take the place of the guys mentioned above.

The only other guy I think could/should be ready for a bump down in Daytona is Hector Rodriguez. Get that bat to Dayton.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-26-2023 at 08:59 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?