Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Re: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Chattanooga wins it in the botom of the 10th after coughing up a two-run lead.

Connor Phillips had himself one whale of a game: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K. (That'll certainly help that BB rate.)
    Rece Hinds had two hits, including his 13th double. He also has 85 Ks on the season. Woof.

Anyway, Chattanooga stays close in the Southern League playoff chase. One game back with just more than a dozen to go.

2. Likes:

Eric in IL (06-07-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Chattanooga wins it in the botom of the 10th after coughing up a two-run lead.

Connor Phillips had himself one whale of a game: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K. (That'll certainly help that BB rate.)
    Rece Hinds had two hits, including his 13th double. He also has 85 Ks on the season. Woof.

Anyway, Chattanooga stays close in the Southern League playoff chase. One game back with just more than a dozen to go.
    Hinds has been running into a few lately but in watching him several times this year he's swinging at just about everything.

Chase Petty went 4 innings again today. 48 pitches. As usual, he didn't allow any runs. He's now at a 0.45 ERA in 20 IP and five starts. He's allowed one ER and 13 H in those 20 IP, btw. 23:5 K:BB ratio as well.

Connor Phillips had himself one whale of a game: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K. (That'll certainly help that BB rate.) .
    I am thinking respectfully about a Greene/Lodolo/Abbott/Ashcraft/Phillips rotation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Chase Petty went 4 innings again today. 48 pitches. As usual, he didn't allow any runs. He's now at a 0.45 ERA in 20 IP and five starts. He's allowed one ER and 13 H in those 20 IP, btw. 23:5 K:BB ratio as well.
    Think it’s fair to give him a shot at Chattanooga now, even though it’s only been 20 innings in Dayton given his obscene ERA and K/9. If they want to wait til the end of the month I’m fine with that too.

If Phillips has another start or two like tonight I’d bump him and Marte (once he gets healthy and still hits) to Louisville.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-07-2023 at 10:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I've been impressed by Phillips since the first time I saw him pitch last year. I think he could end up as a really good #3 or even a #2 guy in the rotation. He's certainly on that trajectory right now as he'll likely see AAA this year at 22.

9. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I am thinking respectfully about a Greene/Lodolo/Abbott/Ashcraft/Phillips rotation.
    Phillips is down to 3.98 BB/9 if I mathed correctly.

That's still a little high, but it's head and shoulders better than last year's 5.4. Or 2021's 5.4.

He's had 22 AA starts. I'd let him pitch through the last two turns before the AA season splits, then I'd call him up to Louisville. God knows, they need some help up there.

No. 11 Reds prospect Connor Phillips strikes out 10 while allowing just one hit across seven innings for Double-A Chattanooga

https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/vid...98-default-vtp

- - - Updated - - -

No. 3 Reds prospect Edwin Arroyo crushes a two-run home run to right field for High-A Dayton

https://www.milb.com/dayton/video/ed...59-default-vtp

Phillips is down to 3.98 BB/9 if I mathed correctly.

That's still a little high, but it's head and shoulders better than last year's 5.4. Or 2021's 5.4.

He's had 22 AA starts. I'd let him pitch through the last two turns before the AA season splits, then I'd call him up to Louisville. God knows, they need some help up there.
    Oh yeah I don’t mean right now or anything, more like in 2024.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh yeah I don’t mean right now or anything, more like in 2024.
    I agreed with you-- that wasn't clear in my post.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    No. 11 Reds prospect Connor Phillips strikes out 10 while allowing just one hit across seven innings for Double-A Chattanooga

https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/vid...98-default-vtp

- - - Updated - - -

No. 3 Reds prospect Edwin Arroyo crushes a two-run home run to right field for High-A Dayton

https://www.milb.com/dayton/video/ed...59-default-vtp
    Phillips giving Josh Beckett vibes with the high heat, curve ball, and goatee combo.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-08-2023)

Ready for a ridiculously hot take?

Yeycol Soriano has officially gotten my attention. The 17-year-old Dominican CF has now hit safely in all three DSL games. His BA is well over .500 this early in the season. More impressive to me are the three doubles he's hit. That likely means he's got some pop in his bat. (I can't say for sure-- haven't seen any video of him at all.) Duno, fwiw, is DH today. He hot HBP in the first. The DSL Reds trail, 3-0 in the 3rd.

- - - Updated - - -

Louisville plays early today. They hit against one of MLB's best prospects-- Gavin Williams.

I'm excited to see the matchup with CES.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-08-2023)

The most interesting man in the DSL, Yeycol Soriano is now 1-2 with a BB. He struck out for the first time, so he's probably a bum.

Afredo Duno is 1-2 with a HBP. He's likely going to continue to hit .500 for the foreseeable future and is surely a Hall of Famer who might deserve to be called up in lieu of Tyler Stephenson. Who sucks.

It's not yet 1:00, yet your Louisville Bats already trail, 5-1 to the Columbus Clippers. Jacob Hurtubise, freshly up from Chattanooga, got a hit in his first official AB, then scored on a CES safety. Encarnacion-Strand is now hitting .353 with a 1.124 OPS. Not too shabby, that.

CES is now 2-2 with 2 singles against Gavin Williams.

He's up to .357 now.

Call. Him. Up.

22. Likes:

mth123 (06-08-2023),Tom Servo (06-08-2023),Tuff Nut (06-08-2023),WrongVerb (06-08-2023)

Turn Off Ads?