Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Re: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Daytona losing 7-1. Collier 1 for 1 with 3 BB and an SB.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-22-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Legumina and Nutof gave up 8 runs (5 earned) in a third of an inning. Errors by Barrero and Casali. Not sure which error was the unearned runs. Bats trail 18 to 8.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Rece Hinds' solo homer
    https://www.milb.com/chattanooga/vid...98-default-vtp

After smashing his 21st home run of the season, Rece Hinds rips a line drive to score 2 for the lead
    https://twitter.com/ChattLookouts/st...45094847197570

Call him CLUTCH CARLOS JORGE!!
    https://twitter.com/DragonsBaseball/...66882209710288

Jack Rogers home run (12)
    https://twitter.com/DragonsBaseball/...57078170935340

6. Likes:

JCM11 (08-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Daytona losing 7-1. Collier 1 for 1 with 3 BB and an SB.
    Collier coming into his own as the year has unwound is a fantastic development. He's still SO young, but now will have a year of pro ball behind him with legit improvement. I am still really excited about his potential.

- - - Updated - - -

While we are here - the Rece Hinds explosion in terms of development and teasing his potential gives this team either a (a) really great trade piece this winter or (b) another interesting puzzle piece for the 2024 season and beyond.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

8. Likes:

Benihana (08-23-2023),Kingspoint (08-25-2023),Old school 1983 (08-23-2023),RedTeamGo! (08-23-2023),Tom Servo (08-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Collier coming into his own as the year has unwound is a fantastic development. He's still SO young, but now will have a year of pro ball behind him with legit improvement. I am still really excited about his potential.

- - - Updated - - -

While we are here - the Rece Hinds explosion in terms of development and teasing his potential gives this team either a (a) really great trade piece this winter or (b) another interesting puzzle piece for the 2024 season and beyond.
    I think Hinds is going to be a great trade chip. That is how I would use him if I were the Reds.

I am also starting to get excited about Collier again. I have been saying all year his stats don't matter this year, its all about development and getting used to the pro baseball grind. He seems to be doing that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

JCM11 (08-23-2023),Tom Servo (08-23-2023)

I'm a massive fan of Rece and think he's a future staple in our lineup for many years. I really hope he isn't a piece they are looking to move.

Seeing Collier coming into his own recently makes me so happy those Verlander for Collier rumors didn't come to fruition. Like you said, the kid is ridiculously young and got a full season of pro ball under his belt already. Thought I read somewhere that he's a month older than Max Clark.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rece Hinds 2 for 2 with a HR and 3 RBI. OPS at .902 in AAA.
    When did he get moved to AAA?

I'm trying to figure out Carson Spiers. His last two months have been absolutely lights out. That's coincided with his move back to the AA rotation. Not sure if he's anything, but he could be a long relief guy. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    When did he get moved to AAA?
    Sorry AA. Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm trying to figure out Carson Spiers. His last two months have been absolutely lights out. That's coincided with his move back to the AA rotation. Not sure if he's anything, but he could be a long relief guy. Maybe.
    There are so many terrible big-league starters, I'd keep him starting and add him to the 40 man this winter. Some team would take him.

Jacob Hurtubise is now up with the Louisville Bats.

Miguel Hernandez is up with Louisville.

Tyler Callihan has been bumped up to Chattanooga.

Hector Rodriguez is now a Dayton Dragon.

Rhett Lowder has been assigned to Dayton. He is on the Dayton Development List. What does that mean?
    Lowder was the Reds first round pick in the 2023 draft, the seventh overall selection. He played at Wake Forest, where he was one of the most successful pitchers in college baseball history, earning numerous major awards, including two-time Atlantic Coast Conference Pitcher of the Year (2022 and 2023); 2023 ACC Scholar-Athlete of the Year; 2023 ACC Male Athlete of the Year (Anthony J. McKevlin Award); and two-time First Team All-America as selected by many major organizations. In 2023, Lowder set the school record in victories and strikeouts, going 15-0 with a 1.87 ERA. His career record at Wake Forest was 30-5 in 49 appearances with a 3.29 ERA. Lowder has not yet pitched professionally and is being added to the Dragons Development List. Players on the Development List are not eligible to play in league games but can participate in all pre-game work and other practice activities.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-23-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I was really hoping to see Blake Dunn instead of Siriani (spelling), as I feel he's more ready (and with Fraley out, we could use the beard).

- - - Updated - - -

The REDS have been feeling the crunch on the 40-man roster and it's only a matter of time before they leave guys off of it that will get scooped up. A trade of volume for quality is necessary this Winter.
    I think the trade of Joe Boyle was related to that. However I don't think it's nearly as much of a crunch now as it will be after next season.

I agree that there's more of a roster crunch than usual, but it's not too much of a crunch imo. Maile and Farmer will be free agents. I presume they'll buy out Casali's and Votto's contracts. They'll probably non-tender Newman. Dunn and/or Law could receive the same fate. Martini, Busenitz and Kennedy will almost definitely be DFA'ed before Opening Day. Levi Stoudt and Daniel Duarte are definitely on the bubble. Maybe Vlad Gutierrez is, too.

Who will they add to the 40-man roster? Rece Hinds and Connor Phillips are obvious. Hurtubise, Roa, and Tyler Callihan deserve heavy consideration. To a lesser degree, so do Ivan Johnson, Drew Mount, Dan Vellojin, Braxton Roxby, and a few others. Regardless there aren't a ton of strong cases to be added to the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think the trade of Joe Boyle was related to that. However I don't think it's nearly as much of a crunch now as it will be after next season.

I agree that there's more of a roster crunch than usual, but it's not too much of a crunch imo. Maile and Farmer will be free agents. I presume they'll buy out Casali's and Votto's contracts. They'll probably non-tender Newman. Dunn and/or Law could receive the same fate. Martini, Busenitz and Kennedy will almost definitely be DFA'ed before Opening Day. Levi Stoudt and Daniel Duarte are definitely on the bubble. Maybe Vlad Gutierrez is, too.

Who will they add to the 40-man roster? Rece Hinds and Connor Phillips are obvious. Hurtubise, Roa, and Tyler Callihan deserve heavy consideration. To a lesser degree, so do Ivan Johnson, Drew Mount, Dan Vellojin, Braxton Roxby, and a few others. Regardless there aren't a ton of strong cases to be added to the roster.
    Jose Acuna needs added as well. But there aren't a ton. Guys coming off the 60 day IL are the bigger concern, but the Reds have plenty of room for the must protects and some room for a few optional guys. I'd protect Jacob Hurtubise and Carson Spiers.

- - - Updated - - -

Bats losing 5-1. Jose Barrero with a HR.

Lookouts losing 4-0 in the 3rd. Blake Dunn 1-2 with a double. The only hit so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragons lead 4-2 in the 5th. Ruben Ibarra with a 3 run HR.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-25-2023)

Tortugas tied at 1 in the 5th. Jared Lyons 4 IP, 4H, 2BB, 6K, 1 ER.

Turn Off Ads?