Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960

Thread: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Re: Midsummer Notes & Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nah.

The Reds have Phillips, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, and Williamson to start the season, plus off-season free agent acquisitions (we can hope). This ignores AAAA guys like Lively (who's done enough to be a sixth starter, IMO, and has more cheap team control) and Kennedy (ditto, but deeper starter depth). Not only that, Lyon Richardson is also probably ahead of Roa as a starting candidate.

I would, however, love to see if Roa can transform into an effective late-inning relief pitcher. He and Stoudt might be interesting in that role-- but they first have to be put in that role.
    I was thinking this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I was thinking this year.
    Ah.

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nah.

The Reds have Phillips, Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, and Williamson to start the season, plus off-season free agent acquisitions (we can hope). This ignores AAAA guys like Lively (who's done enough to be a sixth starter, IMO, and has more cheap team control) and Kennedy (ditto, but deeper starter depth). Not only that, Lyon Richardson is also probably ahead of Roa as a starting candidate.

I would, however, love to see if Roa can transform into an effective late-inning relief pitcher. He and Stoudt might be interesting in that role-- but they first have to be put in that role.
    Hopefully Abbott figures in as well

So... our friend Joe Boyle got the start for Oakland against the Padres. At this writing he's through 3 with no runs and a very Boyle like line of 3IP, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts on 59 pitches. That said, it looks like his stuff is playing out OK against a decent lineup. His biggest enemy is himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    So... our friend Joe Boyle got the start for Oakland against the Padres. At this writing he's through 3 with no runs and a very Boyle like line of 3IP, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts on 59 pitches. That said, it looks like his stuff is playing out OK against a decent lineup. His biggest enemy is himself.
    His "stuff" is excellent, his command has always been the question.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Hopefully Abbott figures in as well
    I'm dumb.

Quick heads up: Chattanooga will be playing tonight in GM 1 of their playoff series with Tennessee. The action begins at 7 PM. It will be free to watch on MILB.com. That is EDT.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-19-2023 at 02:07 PM.

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Doug says Dunn is out for the year (the two games this weekend wrap the season) due to an unspecified arm issue.
    Dunn is in the line-up for the lookouts tonight as the DH in the play-off game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Dunn is in the line-up for the lookouts tonight as the DH in the play-off game.
    Good to hear.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?