Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I get the temptation to want to move such a fast runner with a strong arm to CF, but I wouldn't do it. I don't want him running into walls and diving all over the outfield. Leaving him on the left side of the IF makes it more likely he'll be healthy and available to hit in the middle of the order every game. If Eric Davis played IF he probably has a HOF career.

I was thinking this too. Davis did some significant damage to his body the way he played out there.

I don't think they will do it, I was just wondering if it had been discussed within the organization and if injury concern was the ultimate factor.

It seems like it would be a question some beat reporter would ask at some point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I have to admit this was my first experience of Elly other than highlights. The double, those hands are other worldly fast, sure does explain the ability to generate elite exit velocity. Should be a fun ride.
    In addition to Eric Davis, another comp for those quick wrists is Josh Hamilton

4. Likes:

Red Oak (06-07-2023),Revering4Blue (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
    I was thinking this too. Davis did some significant damage to his body the way he played out there.

I don't think they will do it, I was just wondering if it had been discussed within the organization and if injury concern was the ultimate factor.

It seems like it would be a question some beat reporter would ask at some point.
    He's more valuable-- as any player might be-- as a SS. He does things at SS that few can do. The arm and range are otherworldly-- he gets to balls no one else will get to just because of reach and speed/ quickness. He has the arm to turn those into outs too.

I'm sure the Reds have done that calculus and come up with the same determination Bill James did decades ago: SS are more valuable than CF defensively. And if De La Cruz can play SS well, that's where he belongs.

6. Likes:

Red Oak (06-07-2023),Revering4Blue (06-07-2023),Ron Madden (06-07-2023)

There was the Eric Davis from his call-up until the moment he ran full speed into the brick wall at Wrigley in August of 1987 and the Davis after that point. The Davis after that point was still dangerous, but he wasn't the same bolt of ungodly lightning that he had been from his call-up and especially what he rounded into by the start of 1986 until he ran into the wall...

In any event, keep EDLC away from brick walls would be my request.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-07-2023 at 01:41 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

8. Likes:

Jim (06-07-2023),Red Oak (06-07-2023),Revering4Blue (06-07-2023),RiverRat13 (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Watching the highlights, and good lord is Sadak an awful announcer. He has such a cornball ass voice, he needs to go just as bad as pre-slur Thom Brenneman did. Blech.

Game seemed cool otherwise.
    Watching the pregame I thought we were gonna be cursed with having to listen to Sadak and Larkin butchering the Spanish language but thankfully it was limited.

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-07-2023)

Let's please not ruin the Elly thread by talking about Sadak!

Elly seems special in every way, right down to his personality and the way he looks. If he stays healthy, I'm convinced we have baseball's next superstar on our hands. And it's so damn excited. I haven't been this excited about the Reds since 2012.

12. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He's more valuable-- as any player might be-- as a SS. He does things at SS that few can do. The arm and range are otherworldly-- he gets to balls no one else will get to just because of reach and speed/ quickness. He has the arm to turn those into outs too.

I'm sure the Reds have done that calculus and come up with the same determination Bill James did decades ago: SS are more valuable than CF defensively. And if De La Cruz can play SS well, that's where he belongs.
    I don't disagree with that calculation but McCalin is part of that equation, at least for me, and he looks like a legit shortstop too.

So, the math I was considering is:

Is Elly at short, over Mclain, a bigger upgrade over the upgrade of Elly in CF rather than 3b...or McClain in CF? It appears they are the two fastest players, to my eye, and possibly the most complete players on the roster.

If they are keeping them both in the infield, it makes more sense to me to have McClain at 2b...and I guess that is what all the fuss is about regarding India. That has been talked to death, I'm sure.

But if they don't move Elly to SS, I would have to guess that injury concern is what would keep him from playing OF.

My question is moot if they put him at SS.

I don't disagree with that calculation but McCalin is part of that equation, at least for me, and he looks like a legit shortstop too.

So, the math I was considering is:

Is Elly at short, over Mclain, a bigger upgrade over the upgrade of Elly in CF rather than 3b...or McClain in CF? It appears they are the two fastest players, to my eye, and possibly the most complete players on the roster.

If they are keeping them both in the infield, it makes more sense to me to have McClain at 2b...and I guess that is what all the fuss is about regarding India. That has been talked to death, I'm sure.

But if they don't move Elly to SS, I would have to guess that injury concern is what would keep him from playing OF.

My question is moot if they put him at SS.
    De La Cruz at short and McLain at 2b could be multiple gold gloves for both. India is just going to have to be moved somewhere.

15. Likes:

757690 (06-07-2023),Old school 1983 (06-07-2023),Red Oak (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    De La Cruz at short and McLain at 2b could be multiple gold gloves for both. India is just going to have to be moved somewhere.
    I really agree with this. I actually think India would make a better 3rd baseman than he does at 2B anyway.

2B is, according to James, more impactful than CF too. McLain, as a 2B, is a Gold Glove candidate. That, in turn, strengthens everything up the middle. India, a poor defender by every metric at 2B, can move down the spectrum to 3B. Friedl and Fairchild, it should be noted, are considered plus CF defenders according to Outs Above Average. Friedl's in the 79th percentile among CF defenders, while Fairchild is in the 87th percentile. (Spencer Steer, fwiw, is horrid pretty much everywhere he plays defensively-- at least so far this season. Putting him in LF makes lots and lots of sense, IMO.)

In short, De La Cruz at SS strengthens not only SS, but 2B and 3B, while keeping CF well above average.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-08-2023),CaiGuy (06-07-2023),MoneyInTheBank (06-07-2023),Red Oak (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    2B is, according to James, more impactful than CF too. McLain, as a 2B, is a Gold Glove candidate. That, in turn, strengthens everything up the middle. India, a poor defender by every metric at 2B, can move down the spectrum to 3B. Friedl and Fairchild, it should be noted, are considered plus CF defenders according to Outs Above Average. Friedl's in the 79th percentile among CF defenders, while Fairchild is in the 87th percentile. (Spencer Steer, fwiw, is horrid pretty much everywhere he plays defensively-- at least so far this season. Putting him in LF makes lots and lots of sense, IMO.)

In short, De La Cruz at SS strengthens not only SS, but 2B and 3B, while keeping CF well above average.
    I appreciate that explanation. (and the other responses) I get most all of my Reds info from this forum, which is why I thought I could get a good answer here. I'm not impressed with Fairchild, because of his bat...but Friedl is a guy that is easy to overlook right now because of his injury .

Last edited by Red Oak; 06-07-2023 at 01:46 PM.

I still want McLain in CF imo, good centerfielders are hard to find, adequate 2Bs not so much.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I get the temptation to want to move such a fast runner with a strong arm to CF, but I wouldn't do it. I don't want him running into walls and diving all over the outfield. Leaving him on the left side of the IF makes it more likely he'll be healthy and available to hit in the middle of the order every game. If Eric Davis played IF he probably has a HOF career.
    There were a lot of comparisons to Eric Davis yesterday. A 6-foot-6 Eric Davis that doesn’t have to play on Astroturf. Can you imagine?

22. Likes:

JCM11 (06-07-2023),Ron Madden (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I still want McLain in CF imo, good centerfielders are hard to find, adequate 2Bs not so much.
    Freidl is a fine CF... EDLC @ SS, McLain @ 2B, Freidl in CF would be so so so good!

24. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-07-2023)

Just posted tonight's lineup

Turn Off Ads?