Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    He’s so “must watch” exciting that we no longer even think about the pitch clock… just:

How many more hitters before Elly comes up? Are they gonna give Elly a fastball to hit….will he hit it 500 ft? Will he reach base? Will he steal 2nd? Will he steal 3rd, will he steal home? Will he score from first on a single? Will he tag from 2nd on a deep fly and score? Will a ball be hit to him making him go 100 feet to run it down? Will he get to unleash his cannon?

And repeat for 9 innings
    He's a guy you sit up in the recliner when he comes to the plate.

2. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (06-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I think we have different definitions of a "crowd"
    if you want a literal crowd, I mean, we don't gather in town squares anymore literally.

We DO gather on message boards like this one, and on twitter, and other social media, so yeah, I stand by my ob. There was a weird current of he-needs-to-go-down-and-learn-breaking-balls crap here and elsewhere which ignored 1. Not a lot of pitchers in AAA throw that kind of quality breaking stuff and 2. He was already showing signs of plate discipline even while striking out.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    if you want a literal crowd, I mean, we don't gather in town squares anymore literally.

We DO gather on message boards like this one, and on twitter, and other social media, so yeah, I stand by my ob. There was a weird current of he-needs-to-go-down-and-learn-breaking-balls crap here and elsewhere which ignored 1. Not a lot of pitchers in AAA throw that kind of quality breaking stuff and 2. He was already showing signs of plate discipline even while striking out.
    I'm with you. I too am surprised at the number of comments that seek to denigrate, dismiss, or excuse EDLC as anything other than a hot streak who will surely end up a disappointment. I suspect that's part of the modern life-- if your first instinct is to dismiss and doubt, you can fool yourself into thinking that you are somehow truly unbiased and all others are suckers. Or you want the internet cache of being a little trollish-- and what does it cost you? If a player or team is really good, you can "eat crow" later, and everyone will celebrate you as finally having come around. That's win/ win for some.

6. Likes:

membengal (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

I stand by mine, as well. Maybe it's because I consider Twitter replies to be largely "spam" and "trolling". I have found the response to EDLC to be overwhelmingly positive. Hyperbolic, even. Always possible I'm missing something as I largely stay off of social media
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...came-watch-mlb

In my preseason report on De La Cruz, I gave him 70-grade scores for his raw power, speed and arm strength, and now that he's played at levels where we can measure that more accurately -- and he might have improved since then, too -- it appears all three tools are top-of-the-scale 80-grade tools. I don't think there's another baseball player on Earth that has three 80's, with Bo Jackson being the only historical example that comes to mind.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

9. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2023),goreds2 (06-12-2023),membengal (06-12-2023),Ron Madden (06-12-2023)

I bet he's not a 5 star quality chef.

pfft.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It's lame, but perhaps the most exciting thing to me is the fact that is walk rate has spiked this year (AAA and MLB).

We knew about the tools, but the fact that he is showing plate discipline now as well...watch out.

I was way off base by thinking that his high K% and low BB% would limit his ceiling. As long as he can work the count and hit the snot out of the ball, the K rate doesn't matter even the slightest.

12. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2023),Ron Madden (06-12-2023),Sea Ray (06-12-2023)

Adam Dunn walked a lot but his strikeouts still hurt. EDLC is different 'cause he's such a threat on the basepaths. His walks can be very painful to the opposition. See yesterday's game, 8th inning

14. Likes:

JCM11 (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    I am not one for wanting to move players from their natural position, but i can see a good reason to move EDLC to center field. The Reds seem to have a glut of talented infielders but the outfield crop seems thin. EDLC's size, arm and blazing speed scream center field to me.
    The more I watch hime play the more I want him in the outfield, even a corner position. BUT, whatever they do with him in that regard, I'm not going to worry about it cause he's a joy to watch. It's amplified by the fact that McLain and Steer are so talented too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Adam Dunn walked a lot but his strikeouts still hurt. EDLC is different 'cause he's such a threat on the basepaths. His walks can be very painful to the opposition. See yesterday's game, 8th inning
    Yes, and defense. If Adam Dunn were a gold-glove SS, he would have been an elite player. Strikeouts are bad (like all outs), but when the trade-off is a pile of extra-base hits, long AB's, and free bases when the pitcher has to nibble...K's are fine.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2023),TRF (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm with you. I too am surprised at the number of comments that seek to denigrate, dismiss, or excuse EDLC as anything other than a hot streak who will surely end up a disappointment. I suspect that's part of the modern life-- if your first instinct is to dismiss and doubt, you can fool yourself into thinking that you are somehow truly unbiased and all others are suckers. Or you want the internet cache of being a little trollish-- and what does it cost you? If a player or team is really good, you can "eat crow" later, and everyone will celebrate you as finally having come around. That's win/ win for some.
    I think it’s hard for Reds fans to believe we have such a budding star. I know it is for me. It always happens for other teams, not the Reds. For me, it’s like when Eric Davis came up. It’s like “the *Reds* have this guy? *We* get to see him? We get a shiny thing? Holy crap!”

And Reds fans have traditionally been a conservative and, I hate to say it, a negative bunch. I’ve see it it since I’ve been a fan. Rose, Morgan, Bench, Davis, Larkin, et al, all got the bums treatment at one time or another. Heck, one of my first thoughts was I hope he doesn’t get hurt.

But once the average fan gets behind him, his name and likeness will get splashed all over the place and he’ll be a really big deal.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2023)

Elly has a 0.5 WAR in his first 6 games so he's on pace for like 15 WAR over a full season lol. He also has 5 BB to 5 SO as a left hand hitter, and it's obvious his approach as a lefty is ahead of his right hand swing which is to be expected. I'm just glad he gets 4 months of MLB experience this year to make some adjustments, and gain experience heading into 2024. The Reds rebuild is ahead of schedule just need to get Lodolo and Ashcraft on track.

I have to throw in his average exit velo is 96.8 and I don't think he's hitting the ball as hard as he's capable of yet.
    Last edited by JCM11; 06-12-2023 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it’s hard for Reds fans to believe we have such a budding star. I know it is for me. It always happens for other teams, not the Reds. For me, it’s like when Eric Davis came up. It’s like “the *Reds* have this guy? *We* get to see him? We get a shiny thing? Holy crap!”

And Reds fans have traditionally been a conservative and, I hate to say it, a negative bunch. I’ve see it it since I’ve been a fan. Rose, Morgan, Bench, Davis, Larkin, et al, all got the bums treatment at one time or another. Heck, one of my first thoughts was I hope he doesn’t get hurt.

But once the average fan gets behind him, his name and likeness will get splashed all over the place and he’ll be a really big deal.
    I consider myself to have an above average knowledge of the game, and it is still tough at times to not live and die with every AB, and when it is your star failing 2/3 of the time, even if they are HOF caliber, it is easy to be impatient because of myopic vision in following the team day to day. Then you step back at the end of the season, or the end of a career, and truly appreciate how great these guys were in their prime years and beyond, and wonder why you did not appreciate them more. Eric Davis is a great example. He was a lightning rod during his early years, very polarizing in the media and fan base, and pre message board it was apparent. Now, those same "analysts" would never say he was terrible, when they were booing him at the games.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

22. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (06-12-2023),Ron Madden (06-12-2023),Roy Tucker (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I've also seen this fanbase turn against the best players on the team from Frank Robinson all the way to Joey Votto.

I could never understand the reason why.

24. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2023),dfs (06-15-2023),RedsfaninMT (06-12-2023),Roy Tucker (06-12-2023)

Haunted by walks

It seems like the best player gets the most grief. It even happened to Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2023)

Turn Off Ads?