Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It seems like the best player gets the most grief. It even happened to Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.
    As a society, we love to build up stars, just so we can knock ‘em down.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

TRF (06-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Yes, and defense. If Adam Dunn were a gold-glove SS, he would have been an elite player. Strikeouts are bad (like all outs), but when the trade-off is a pile of extra-base hits, long AB's, and free bases when the pitcher has to nibble...K's are fine.
    So as not to embarrass Adam Dunn, I didn't even get into defense. I'm just talking offense here. What Elly did with his walk in the 8th inning yesterday could not have been done by AD. That's what makes Elly so valuable as an offensive threat

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    It's lame, but perhaps the most exciting thing to me is the fact that is walk rate has spiked this year (AAA and MLB).

We knew about the tools, but the fact that he is showing plate discipline now as well...watch out.

I was way off base by thinking that his high K% and low BB% would limit his ceiling. As long as he can work the count and hit the snot out of the ball, the K rate doesn't matter even the slightest.
    It was reasonable that you feared/expected that. But Elly is just special. It's so damn exciting.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-12-2023)

A caller on the 700 WLW Extra Innings show yesterday suggested to place Cruz in centerfield. It is an intriguing idea. Imagine the ground he would cover.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I want to see him beat out an infield single almost as much as hit a home run. That's someone special.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (06-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Six game hitting streak. Just 50 away from DiMaggio.
    Andrew Abbot has 48 or so innings to match Orel Hershisers consecutive scoreless inning streak.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-12-2023),goreds2 (06-12-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    A caller on the 700 WLW Extra Innings show yesterday suggested to place Cruz in centerfield. It is an intriguing idea. Imagine the ground he would cover.
    Considering the source, that's an argument against doing it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Imagine how many more games Eric Davis would’ve played if he stayed in the infield?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

15. Likes:

757690 (06-12-2023)

My son, pictured about 11 years ago, is officially a Reds fan due to Elly De La Cruz. He’s watched every game/at bat since his arrival which is pretty darn cool. Since the Rockies stink, I can’t miss this opportunity to convert him for life.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-13-2023),Redsfaithful (06-13-2023),Ron Madden (06-13-2023),SoTxRedsFan (06-13-2023)

NM
    Last edited by mth123; 06-13-2023 at 12:57 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

NM
    Last edited by mth123; 06-13-2023 at 12:57 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

0-5, 2k, GIDP. Probably time to send him down for a month.

21. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (06-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    0-5, 2k, GIDP. Probably time to send him down for a month.
    Save on expenses and make him run. Louisville ain't that far really. He'll probably make better time due to road construction slowing traffic.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The worst thing about a great meal is you have to poop it out later
    Do you feel better after trashing my post? Because, make no mistake that's what you were doing. I didn't say anything negative about ELDC, yet you continue to reply to me with demeaning, degrading, snarky efforts. I suggest that you either be a little more friendly with me, or stop replying. I enjoy coming here to read up on my Reds, not be belittled. Thanks.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

24. Likes:

IKnowNothing (06-13-2023),Sea Ray (06-13-2023)

I should not be concerned that Elly has come down to earth because.... ___________________.

Turn Off Ads?