Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

In all seriousness though, aside from the excitement of watching him clobber a baseball 450 feet, or zip a fastball to first from beyond the 3rd base bag, or seeing him steal three bases in a span of three pitches in less than a minute, I'm most geeked because the kid shows promise of being an honest-to-goodness hitter.

The fact he can go the other way with pitches, that he knows when to shorten a swing, that he's pretty disciplined in laying off junk for his age, and that he hits the ball hard a lot are all signs he will likely carry a high average. He hits a lot of hard-hit ground balls and line drives, so he'll likely have a high BABIP. He looks to me like a guy that will likely cut down on the strikeouts as he gets older.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2023),goreds2 (07-08-2023),ochoa30 (07-09-2023),Old school 1983 (07-08-2023),Redhook (07-09-2023),RedsBaron (07-09-2023),Redsfaithful (07-09-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-08-2023),RFS62 (07-08-2023),Tuff Nut (07-09-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Is EDLC succeeding poorly yet?

5. Likes:

IKnowNothing (07-08-2023),ochoa30 (07-09-2023),Patrick Bateman (07-09-2023),Rdirtypirates (07-09-2023),Redhook (07-09-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-08-2023),StRedlegs900 (07-09-2023),Tom Servo (07-09-2023),Tuff Nut (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    The entire sequence of stealing 2nd, then 3rd and home on the same pitch, was something Iíd expect to see in little league. Just ridiculously awesome.
    Next up: Elly on third and the batter draws a walk. Does batter just keep going to 2nd with Elly daring the other team to try and throw out the walked batter at 2nd allowing Elly to break for home?

Maybe we sit on that play until the post season.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-08-2023),RFS62 (07-10-2023),TRF (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Everybody saw Tiger coming. Elly is a surprise.
    Not to toot my own horn, but Iíve been saying Elly is a unicorn since middle of last summer. I even said you can throw out the minor league BB% out the window because you cannot expect someone like Elly to not swing at pitches in AA he knew he could hit with authority. I said last summer he was the future face of the franchise for sure, possible face of the sport and most athletic baseball player on the planet.

I guess I will toot my own horn a bit.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (07-09-2023)

He's the most exciting Cincinnati athlete of my life. I'm planning my days/nights around trying to be home to watch him play. I like the Tiger comp for watchability, cuz he's Tiger in his prime on Sunday at a major, but instead almost every night instead of 4 Sundays a year.

The comp I’ve been saying since last year and I think is most apt is Giannis - The Greek Freak. I won’t attempt to spell his last name. NBA-Heads knew who he was leading up to him being drafted and debuting but it was mostly “this kid is an athletic freak, if he puts it all together he could be best player on the planet” - same thing with Elly.

12. Likes:

ochoa30 (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The comp Iíve been saying since last year and I think is most apt is Giannis - The Greek Freak. I wonít attempt to spell his last name. NBA-Heads knew who he was leading up to him being drafted and debuting but it was mostly ďthis kid is an athletic freak, if he puts it all together he could be best player on the planetĒ - same thing with Elly.
    Hopefully like Giannis, Elly will sign a reasonable long term contract and stay in his small midwestern city. And lead his team to a ring.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023)

I like the comp of Randy Moss that someone made a while back. Just an all-together different kind of species.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Is EDLC succeeding poorly yet?
    Yeah, he is, unless you believe a .442 BABIP is sustainable and that a 40-point IsoD is super duper. I'd explain how that all works again, but my effort was completely wasted on you last round, so nope.

I'll wait to hear what you have to say if/when that BABIP drops 75-80 points (which would still be super high) to match what the top projection systems have forecasted.

I think it's ok to root for a player while also acknowedging their opportunities. Certainly better than taking 120-odd PA as truth and using it to throw shade.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

As it stands, how long do the Reds control Elly?

.442 BABIP may actually be sustainable for someone who singles on ground balls to first.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, he is, unless you believe a .442 BABIP is sustainable and that a 40-point IsoD is super duper. I'd explain how that all works again, but my effort was completely wasted on you last round, so nope.

I'll wait to hear what you have to say if/when that BABIP drops 75-80 points (which would still be super high) to match what the top projection systems have forecasted.

I think it's ok to root for a player while also acknowedging their opportunities. Certainly better than taking 120-odd PA as truth and using it to throw shade.
    you gotta take the L on this one homie

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-09-2023),HammerTime (07-09-2023),membengal (07-09-2023),Redhook (07-09-2023),SoTxRedsFan (07-09-2023),Tom Servo (07-09-2023),VPI97 (07-12-2023),WildcatFan (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

You could have just said “I don’t actually watch the games” and it would have been much quicker to type out.

22. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-09-2023),HammerTime (07-09-2023),RiverfrontRed (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    .442 BABIP may actually be sustainable for someone who singles on ground balls to first.
    It's not. De La Cruz isn't the first fast, strong, talented kid to play major league baseball. In MLB history, a .400 BABIP season is super-rarified air. Only 30 single full player seasons at or above that mark. That's all time. But in the modern era, you're not going to find a single guy who put up multiple seasons of a .400+ BABIP season, no matter how good they were.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

I think it’s safe to say Elly is one of the few baseball players of our lifetimes where typical projections don’t work. He’s not normal, in an incredibly awesome way.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

25. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2023)

Turn Off Ads?