Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    As it stands, how long do the Reds control Elly?
    I think he'd be a free agent in 2030. As would all of this season's mid year callups.

2. Likes:

RiverfrontRed (07-09-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It's not. De La Cruz isn't the first fast, strong, talented kid to play major league baseball. In MLB history, a .400 BABIP season is super-rarified air. Only 30 single full player seasons at or above that mark. That's all time. But in the modern era, you're not going to find a single guy who put up multiple seasons of a .400+ BABIP season, no matter how good they were.
    How many of those players hit the ball as hard as Elly and were as fast as Elly?

I’ll answer for you: Zero
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Redhook (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    you gotta take the L on this one homie
    There's no "L" to be taken. I never actually projected failure for De La Cruz. Cripes. Frankly, I predicted this EXACT reaction from BZ and the rest of the minor league forum prospecties a long time ago RE: De La Cruz.

127 PA. That's how long it took. Good lord.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

It's not. De La Cruz isn't the first fast, strong, talented kid to play major league baseball. In MLB history, a .400 BABIP season is super-rarified air. Only 30 single full player seasons at or above that mark. That's all time. But in the modern era, you're not going to find a single guy who put up multiple seasons of a .400+ BABIP season, no matter how good they were.
    I donít doubt that his BABIP will come down but I firmly believe his Kís will too and with that will come a still high level of performance within a more normalized set of numbers. That said, heís fast and hits the ball very hard so his BABIP is always likely to be on the higher end of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

8. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2023),Redsfaithful (07-09-2023)

This is better than the screen time nonsense. This thread just delivers time and again!

10. Likes:

wolfboy (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How many of those players hit the ball as hard as Elly and were as fast as Elly?

Iíll answer for you: Zero
    How many of your questions will I answer after you take a childish pot shot by claiming that I don't watch games?

I'll answer for you: Zero

But you don't want an answer. You want to believe he's a "unicorn" and that there's never EVER been any other player like him.

Go for it. I have no interest in stopping you from believing that.

You're all just continuing a dumb turf war that's between you and you. But man, did I call how quickly the shots would come.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Is Greasy Neale from the modern era?

I agree with Steel that Ella’s .442 BABIP is unsustainable. However, watching him, I do think he can put up a .400 BABIP season after season. It really is obvious to anyone who has watched him. He turns balls that should be easy outs into easy base hits.

More importantly, he is showing the ability to adjust to how pitchers are adjusting to him. As Brutus pointed out, what really stands out is how intelligent of a hitter he is, how quickly he learns and adjusts. I can see his K and BB rate improving greatly as gains more and more experience. That should more than balance out his reduced BABIP.

This is what is so scary about him. It’s easy to see him get better than this, year after year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

ochoa30 (07-09-2023)

Defense is too good today for it to happen. Kid is also definitely going to need to convert some Ks into BB, it will be interesting to see how the league adapts to his game

I'm all in for the havoc part though, the Reds have been so locked in with slugging and station to station baseball that it's like hearing rock n roll for the first time

16. Likes:

mth123 (07-09-2023),Old school 1983 (07-09-2023),RedsBaron (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023),RFS62 (07-10-2023),SteelSD (07-09-2023),wolfboy (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don’t doubt that his BABIP will come down but I firmly believe his K’s will too and with that will come a still high level of performance within a more normalized set of numbers. That said, he’s fast and hits the ball very hard so his BABIP is always likely to be on the higher end of the spectrum.
    I think that's certainly possible and the "high end" is exactly what I'm hoping for. We've been filling in shortstop with so much junk since Larkin and it's really refreshing to see a guy, other than Votto at his best, walk to the plate where you'll stop what you're doing to see what happens.

--Ted Williams

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-09-2023)

Elly will be fine when the BAbip comes down if the walks and HR's go up(which I think they will).

De La Cruz won't sustain a .440+ BABIP, no, but I'm not sure treating him like a 'normal' player is exactly proper either.

If he continues with this trend of over 70% of his batted balls being ground balls and line drives, a plurality of which have been hard hit, his speed translates into a BABIP for the likes of which we haven't seen before. His batted ball rates certainly are likely to stabilize a bit, as they don't match his minor league track record, exactly. Still, assigning typical projections on his skillset simply isn't prudent.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

21. Likes:

Banshee (07-09-2023),Redhook (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023),Tom Servo (07-09-2023),WildcatFan (07-09-2023)

How many of your questions will I answer after you take a childish pot shot by claiming that I don't watch games?

I'll answer for you: Zero

But you don't want an answer. You want to believe he's a "unicorn" and that there's never EVER been any other player like him.

Go for it. I have no interest in stopping you from believing that.

You're all just continuing a dumb turf war that's between you and you. But man, did I call how quickly the shots would come.
    He’s pretty obviously a unicorn. The kid hits the ball as hard as Judge and tonight he stole 2nd, 3rd, and home in like 30 seconds. Name another player like that. I literally cannot think of one. Rickey? But, Ricky wasn’t one of the tallest players in baseball that hit the ball 117 mph off the bat.

You want to continue thinking De La Cruz isn’t a special talent, go ahead.

And yeah, you said something as stupid as “succeeding poorly” with regard to EDLC and are taking shots for it. Shocker. Next you will tell me the Sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow morning.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

icehole3 (07-09-2023)

They call me "chef"

Hard to take opinions seriously when they come from folks who don’t even follow the Baritone Boneman close enough to know his official nickname.

25. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He’s pretty obviously a unicorn. The kid hits the ball as hard as Judge and tonight he stole 2nd, 3rd, and home in like 30 seconds. Name another player like that. I literally cannot think of one. Rickey? But, Ricky wasn’t one of the tallest players in baseball that hit the ball 117 mph off the bat.

You want to continue thinking De La Cruz isn’t a special talent, go ahead.

And yeah, you said something as stupid as “succeeding poorly” with regard to EDLC and are taking shots for it. Shocker. Next you will tell me the Sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow morning.
    If you can't understand concepts like "succeeding poorly" or "failing well"- both of which I've used for YEARS around these parts- there's not much I can do.

But it's not about that. This is you and one or two other overexuberant prospect junkies with axes to grind, because someone showed up in your minor league thread without big enough pom pons. Not interested. That's a "you" issue. Has nothing to do with me.

And I do think De La Cruz is a "special talent". But I don't have to be all, "HE'Z A UNICRON!! GO REDZ!!" to appreciate his skills or root for the guy. Apparently, if you like a player, but not enough, it makes one a target? Do you honestly believe it's up to you to determine if someone likes a player enough? And how predictible are you and BZ? Here's me from 08/22/22:

...I've just already experienced similar game-by-game trolling when projecting previous players long ago and I know how it ends. It's the same pattern- post something that even appears unflattering for a top prospect de jour, and wait for inevitable demands that you're "writing him off" or snide comments every time the player does something good in order to "stick it" to those who so much as smelled like they were less than completely gung-ho about that player. For what purpose? I dunno. Nor do I really care...
    I literally predicted your behavior months ago, openly told you what you were going to do, and you still couldn't avoid doing it. Now, if you feel like you want to continue taking shots, take the PM route.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?