Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Seems like a pretty large sample size of Elly succeeding poorly at every level by this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    You’re right. I often skipped his posts when I frequented this site because I prefer short and concise (my last opus aside) but I do know he’s a smart guy, and he backs what he believes. And just because he has a different view of a baseball player than others doesn’t mean he should be attacked.
    Oh makes sense now. Be grateful you aren’t. When he was asked to walk more and strikeout less he did. He has did nothing, but succeed. Even after his short slump he has been hitting again. There is no one on the basepaths like him and people still complain.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 07-09-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    You’re right. I often skipped his posts when I frequented this site because I prefer short and concise (my last opus aside) but I do know he’s a smart guy, and he backs what he believes. And just because he has a different view of a baseball player than others doesn’t mean he should be attacked.
    Ehhhh, it wasn’t that. If you want a fun read take a look at the Elly thread on the minor league forum. Most of this is the result of Steel using the phrase “succeeding poorly” to describe Elly, him get very lightly ribbed for it, and him taking it very personally. Also him pulling 6 year old quotes completely out of context as a “gotcha” - in no way is he some innocent. As for you, again, you weren’t just saying “I don’t think Winker is good and here is why” - you talked down to a lot of people IIRC. A lot of ZERO POINT ZERO and whatnot. It’s all how you present your posts. There are many posters on here that make strong statements with absolutely no backlash.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm noticing that people who don't even watch baseball are starting to know who Elly is. They may not care about the actual game, but they can see he's doing amazing things.

Who's the last Reds player who got attention outside of the baseball bubble like this? Maybe Chapman 10 years ago?

6. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2023),Old school 1983 (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023),Wonderful Monds (07-09-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm noticing that people who don't even watch baseball are starting to know who Elly is. They may not care about the actual game, but they can see he's doing amazing things.

Who's the last Reds player who got attention outside of the baseball bubble like this? Maybe Chapman 10 years ago?
    Ellymania is running wild on the nati for sure

Elly's 162 game average so far.

G 162, R 156, H 223, 2B 50, 3B 11, HR 22, RBI 89, SB 89

Elly now has over 1,200 career professional plate appearances. His BABIP in all stops combined is currently .400.

At what point do we accept that traditional norms might not be appropriate to apply to his expectations?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

10. Likes:

HammerTime (07-09-2023),VPI97 (07-12-2023)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

My wife dislikes baseball and knew exactly who i was cheering for as he was stealing home. “Elly do something again?” Yes yes he did.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Is Greasy Neale from the modern era?
    Earle "Greasy" Neale is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. Neale was an excellent athlete, and roughly a league-average outfielder in an eight-year career (all but 22 games with the Reds). He was the starting RF on the Reds' 1919 World Champion club, and he was a teammate of Jim Thorpe, both with the Reds and the Canton Bulldogs.

As a college football coach, he was head coach at Muskingum, Marietta, Washington & Jefferson, Virginia, and West Virginia. His 1921 Wash & Jeff team earned a Rose Bowl berth, where they played California to a 0-0 tie.

In 1941, Neale became the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. He coached the Eagles for 10 years, leading them to back-to-back NFL Championships in 1948 and 1949 with such Hall of Fame players as Steve Van Buren and Chuck "Concrete Charlie" Bednarik.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-10-2023 at 12:14 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2023),Assembly Hall (07-09-2023),cumberlandreds (07-09-2023),pedro (07-09-2023),Puffy (07-09-2023),RedsBaron (07-09-2023),Revering4Blue (07-09-2023),RFS62 (07-10-2023),WrongVerb (07-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ehhhh, it wasn’t that. If you want a fun read take a look at the Elly thread on the minor league forum. Most of this is the result of Steel using the phrase “succeeding poorly” to describe Elly, him get very lightly ribbed for it, and him taking it very personally. Also him pulling 6 year old quotes completely out of context as a “gotcha” - in no way is he some innocent. As for you, again, you weren’t just saying “I don’t think Winker is good and here is why” - you talked down to a lot of people IIRC. A lot of ZERO POINT ZERO and whatnot. It’s all how you present your posts. There are many posters on here that make strong statements with absolutely no backlash.
    Hogwash. This is the result of me having the audacity to encroach upon the minor league forum and forward a well-reasoned take on a prospect and detailed tiered potential projections. Clearly, anything but the very most over-the-top takes on De La Cruz were not welcome there. So, after making an honest effort, met with subsequent trolling, I bowed out; leaving you all to it. I would encourage anyone to read pages in the early to late 20s from that thread, IIRC. Along with a detailed analysis of a top prospect's potential future offensive output, I think it provides a great commentary about how detrimental the worst kind of groupthink can be and how "Lord of the Flies" some components of this site have become. Can't say I'm pleased to see the same people bring the same attitudes and behavior into the ORG. This forum, at least, is supposed to be above that line.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

It's all part of posting here. If you are willing to put yourself out there with an unpopular opinion on a prospect or sometimes even the smallest drip of cold water, you will be relentlessly mocked for it. Those that have been here long enough have all been through it.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    It's all part of posting here. If you are willing to put yourself out there with an unpopular opinion on a prospect or sometimes even the smallest drip of cold water, you will be relentlessly mocked for it. Those that have been here long enough have all been through it.
    Yep, and I've defended people who put up rational opinions I didn't necessarily agree with, simply because of that. But it's been much worse lately than ever before. I have various thoughts on why that is, but that's not a discussion for here.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

18. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (07-09-2023)

Whenever I figure out what the hell BABIP is, I'll decide for myself if Elly is any good or not. In the meantime, I'm saying is pretty good.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Elly’s performance was so incredible yesterday, that the Tigers pitched a combined no-hitter yesterday, and all anyone is talking about is what Elly did.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

Brutus (07-09-2023)

This is the only other famous Elly I ever knew (or can remember). She only stole hearts! lol

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

Big Klu (07-09-2023)

Turn Off Ads?