Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

At the end of the day, 1 guy is saying Elly is going to be a super star, the other says he’s simply going to be very good.

We shall see.

I personally get the analytical case, but I vote superstar. He’s making adjustments and has a special swing that will result in continued development against stronger pitching.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Likes:

757690 (07-10-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-10-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Do Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey next!!!
    Eh, I ain't no homewrecker
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

SteelSD (07-10-2023)

On a Reds board, if someone wants to argue that x prospect is going to be the next Babe Ruth or Jim Coombs, just DONT argue against it. A polite "I hope you are right" is all that is needed.

An argument against the potential of a Reds prospect is never going to end well for you, ESPECIALLY if you turn out to be correct.

On a Reds board, the path to happiness is paved with positive posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Eh, I ain't no homewrecker
    Better.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    At the end of the day, 1 guy is saying Elly is going to be a super star, the other says he’s simply going to be very good.

We shall see.

I personally get the analytical case, but I vote superstar. He’s making adjustments and has a special swing that will result in continued development against stronger pitching.
    Oh, no. He could be a superstar. It's just that some of the claims being thrown out there would make him one of, if not THE greatest offensive player of the modern era; a combination of prime age Bonds, Manny, Trout, and Rickey.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

By the way, my confusion over all of this is that anyone thinks this version of EDLC is a finished product. No way does he keep beating out grounders to first as he ages etc. but also, do I think he will keep needing to do so or do I think it reasonable that edlc’s maturation as a pro will start to include more consistent launch angles to go with that power? I do. In the meantime, is it freaky fun that a guy I was told had massive holes in his swing has 40 hits in his first 30 games with a BA of .325 and 16 SBs? It is, it really is. That is happening because his speed is beyond the bounds of normal and the bat speed and hard contact stuff elite. I don’t see any reason to put limits on where this can go but kinda just want to enjoy the ride. But I know that is not ok. Everything always has to suck. Got it.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-10-2023 at 03:03 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

757690 (07-10-2023),Armo21 (07-10-2023),ochoa30 (07-10-2023),RedTeamGo! (07-10-2023)

2 things,

1) I think Jim Coombs legally changed his name to Elly De La Cruz
    2) The title of this thread was mis-ordered. It should read "Welcome to the Elly De La Cruz Show"
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

12. Likes:

SteelSD (07-10-2023),WrongVerb (07-10-2023)

I don’t get it… he’s a high-floor, high-ceiling guy.

He has the potential to be a .950 OPS first-ballot Hall of Famer. His talent level aligns with the guys who have done that. Of course, that doesn’t mean he will get there. Talent is only part of the equation.

Arguing that he is “definitely” a multi-year MVP or that he’s “definitely” just a solid everyday player or “definitely” going to be a bust is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dick Wakefield, Pete Reiser.... and on and on.

One thing about a 21-year old phenom that we all can agree on is that 21 is a hell of a young age for a MLB player.

That's why I like to tap the brakes on what that player will do.

I have no horse in this race, but I certainly am not minting a pathway for success no matter what, shout out to Jose Fernandez.

Not sure what prize you win when a guy goes off and becomes the next Mike Trout or Dick Wakefield and you knew it before he set foot on the field but it must be swell. My point is there seems to be a lot of opinions and not much real MLB data.

So I'm going to pull up a chair and see what happens to a guy that is supposed to have Rod Carew's BABIP, Mantle's power and Roberto's arm.

It's going to be interesting

Yeah, I'm more afraid he's going to Pete Reiser himself from playing so hard than I am of anything else.

You left out Billy Hamilton speed and Pete Rose baseball IQ.
    It's not procrastination if you never had any intention of doing it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, I'm more afraid he's going to Pete Reiser himself from playing so hard than I am of anything else.

You left out Billy Hamilton speed and Pete Rose baseball IQ.
    And Peter Tosh's dreads!!

I just worry about expectations myself

Just to highlight what a chore a career .950 OPS would be in todays game.

Only 18 guys have finished (Trout included) their careers with a .950 OPS, only one was not a OF or 1B (Hornsby) only three of them (Manny, Trout and Helton) began their career in the past 30 years.

Trout has an OPS plus of 174, only nine players have had an OPS plus that high (800 games played to get in argument ) all of them but Bonds, Shoeless Joe and Trout are in the HOF

That is a heavy lift

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Pete Reiser had a pretty good career. I mean he got Helen Hunt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pete reiser.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	19926
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

17. Likes:

757690 (07-10-2023),westofyou (07-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And Peter Tosh's dreads!!
    You guys are crazy today - first RFS brings up Mad About You and now you bring up The Monkees. And Peter Tork didn't have dreads:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkees.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	19927
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

19. Likes:

RFS62 (07-18-2023),westofyou (07-10-2023)

I can't believe that no player in MLB history has had 30 HR and 60 SB in the same season. Honestly, that feels like the floor for Elly next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    I can't believe that no player in MLB history has had 30 HR and 60 SB in the same season. Honestly, that feels like the floor for Elly next year.
    30 HR is the floor for a guy with 4 HR in 135 MLB PA?

That’s just not fair to the guy.

22. Likes:

pahster (07-12-2023),Revering4Blue (07-12-2023),westofyou (07-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    30 HR is the floor for a guy with 4 HR in 135 MLB PA?

That’s just not fair to the guy.
    Fortunate for him, he's not reading this. But yeah, I'm calling 30 HR as his floor as early as next year. And yeah, he's the same 4 HR guy they wanted in the home run derby.
    Last edited by RiverfrontRed; 07-12-2023 at 01:30 AM.

Turn Off Ads?