Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    I can't believe that no player in MLB history has had 30 HR and 60 SB in the same season. Honestly, that feels like the floor for Elly next year.
    Have to think the reason why nobody has done it before us because the game wasn't designed support it. The dead ball era suppressed power do much that base stealing was the natural way to get extra bases and that HRs were just too rare. During the Ruth era power picked up, most of it still occurred in those big arse deadball fields, so the HR guys tended to be bigger, less prone to steal a base more and more each year.

That lasted for four decades until steals slowly snuck back into the game, problem is most of the steals were being executed by smaller players, SS, 2b, guys who didn't hit 15 HRs much alone 30. Then all the big multi-purpose stadiums arrived and with that fast plastic and expansive outfields and the need to dump the Frank Howard's, Willie Hortons and Wilbur Stargell from playing OF and replace them with Bake McBride prototypes... boom steals go up league wide, skinny guys + big stadiums = low HR totally

20 years pass and smaller boutique parks appear, steroids creep in and swing the offense back to HR heavy, steals are seen as risky and statistically problematic, they decline.

20 years pass, rules change again, making the steal more important, in an era that training is more advanced and launch angle swings are in vogue

If anything this will be the era that a guy hits 30 and steals 60, the game is at a perfect moment for it to happen

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-12-2023),mth123 (07-12-2023),Redsfaithful (07-12-2023),Revering4Blue (07-12-2023),RFS62 (07-18-2023),Roy Tucker (07-12-2023),Wonderful Monds (07-12-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fortunate for him, he's not reading this. But yeah, I'm calling 30 HR as his floor as early as next year. And yeah, he's the same 4 HR guy they wanted in the home run derby.
    I mean I would have wanted to see Wily Mo Pena in the home run derby. Hitting the ball hard does not make one a “floor” 30 HR guy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Have to think the reason why nobody has done it before us because the game wasn't designed support it. The dead ball era suppressed power do much that base stealing was the natural way to get extra bases and that HRs were just too rare. During the Ruth era power picked up, most of it still occurred in those big arse deadball fields, so the HR guys tended to be bigger, less prone to steal a base more and more each year.

That lasted for four decades until steals slowly snuck back into the game, problem is most of the steals were being executed by smaller players, SS, 2b, guys who didn't hit 15 HRs much alone 30. Then all the big multi-purpose stadiums arrived and with that fast plastic and expansive outfields and the need to dump the Frank Howard's, Willie Hortons and Wilbur Stargell from playing OF and replace them with Bake McBride prototypes... boom steals go up league wide, skinny guys + big stadiums = low HR totally

20 years pass and smaller boutique parks appear, steroids creep in and swing the offense back to HR heavy, steals are seen as risky and statistically problematic, they decline.

20 years pass, rules change again, making the steal more important, in an era that training is more advanced and launch angle swings are in vogue

If anything this will be the era that a guy hits 30 and steals 60, the game is at a perfect moment for it to happen
    Acuna is sitting there with 21/41 right now. Heís a lock if he doesnít get hurt.

6. Likes:

westofyou (07-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I mean I would have wanted to see Wily Mo Pena in the home run derby. Hitting the ball hard does not make one a “floor” 30 HR guy.
    In his first full season as a 4th OF and part-time starter, WMP hit 26 HR's in 336 AB's. (Both career-high totals)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I can't believe that no player in MLB history has had 30 HR and 60 SB in the same season. Honestly, that feels like the floor for Elly next year.
    For most of baseball history, at least until the steroid era, players that were capable, or were counted on to hit 30 homers in a season were big, strong and not cheetahs on the basepaths. I wonder how many players have stolen 60 bases one season and hit 30 homers in another. Eric Davis is one, not sure there's many others. And Davis only hit 30 plus homers twice and those two season his SBs were 50 and 21.

Also, and this might effect EDLC, a player who can swipe bases with ease, tend to not swing for the fences nor worry about launch angle as it seems making contact with lots of singles, doubles and triples accomplish almost the same thing but more often.

Power hitters with great speed tend to have players clogging up bases in front of them and also are not walked that often with the bases empty as pitchers would rather take a chance on them hitting the ball then giving up the free pass(intentional or not).

Also, for most players that are high number base stealers, there numbers tend to go way down after their initial 5 years or so. Probably much sooner than home run hitters.

Maybe with the new rules, we'll see it some day in the near future. But I'm really not surprised it hasn't happened in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ohtani is doing things nobody ever thought would be done too. You really don't think Elly has the potential to hit 30 home runs, on the basis of a tiny 135 AB sample size? I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    For most of baseball history, at least until the steroid era, players that were capable, or were counted on to hit 30 homers in a season were big, strong and not cheetahs on the basepaths. I wonder how many players have stolen 60 bases one season and hit 30 homers in another. Eric Davis is one, not sure there's many others. And Davis only hit 30 plus homers twice and those two season his SBs were 50 and 21.
    Davis also stole 60+ bases only once (80 SB's in 1986). His HR total that year was 27.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Davis also stole 60+ bases only once (80 SB's in 1986). His HR total that year was 27.
    Eric Davis would've been the one. No doubt because the most amount of games he ever played in one season was 135. The year you're talking about he played in only 132. If he could've gotten 15 more games in he most likely would've gotten the 30-85 mark. He only had more than 35 SB twice so it's just another example of why having 30-60 line up is so tough as if you're not Rickey Henderson, Lou Brock, Vince Coleman etc... you're high stolen base years tend to come early and then they drop into the 30 range and under as time goes on.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (07-12-2023)

Ohtani is doing things nobody ever thought would be done too. You really don't think Elly has the potential to hit 30 home runs, on the basis of a tiny 135 AB sample size? I guess we'll see.
    You said floor, not potential.

Honesty matters.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    You said floor, not potential.

Honesty matters.
    Are you saying I’m not honest? Lol. When you project someone, you consider both their floor potential and their ceiling potential. I don’t think 30 is his potential ceiling. That’s 45-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    If he played more games in ‘86 and ‘87, he could’ve accomplished it both years. He only needed 10 stolen bases in ‘87 and missed the last month. Man, he was exciting to watch.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    If he played more games in ‘86 and ‘87, he could’ve accomplished it both years. He only needed 10 stolen bases in ‘87 and missed the last month. Man, he was exciting to watch.
    That two-season stretch was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Teams were watering basepath dirt to try to stop him.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-12-2023),Ron Madden (07-12-2023)

Stealing bases is hard on the body. EDLC should steal only when itís really necessary. There will come a time when he realizes that 162 games is a lot of games and he needs to conserve his body and not just do things because he can.

But heís like a kid in a candy store right now saying ďomg, I can do all these things better than anyone elseĒ. And I canít blame him. Heís a joy to watch play. I just want to watch him play for a long time.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

20. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-12-2023),Revering4Blue (07-12-2023),Ron Madden (07-12-2023),westofyou (07-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Stealing bases is hard on the body. EDLC should steal only when it’s really necessary. There will come a time when he realizes that 162 games is a lot of games and he needs to conserve his body and not just do things because he can.

But he’s like a kid in a candy store right now saying “omg, I can do all these things better than anyone else”. And I can’t blame him. He’s a joy to watch play. I just want to watch him play for a long time.
    And hitting dingers is too. The Reds have had 7 season with a guy with 45+, Klu did it twice, Foster is the only one who topped 50.

"Expecting" that from a 21 year old is a big wish (JB 1970) coupled with the grind, mentally and physically the game creates on infielders on the defensive side of the ball then it seems even more egregious

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-12-2023),Roy Tucker (07-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Last Reds jersey I bought was a #44, only it was a road Eric Davis one. Ever since then, Iíve said Iím too old to wear a jersey and always opted for corporate-look polo shirt with a Reds logo.

Iím seriously starting to think about breaking a long-standing habit.
    I bought one for my dad. He's 86.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?