Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1006

Thread: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

  1. #991
    Just a Fan RiverfrontRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Stealing bases is hard on the body. EDLC should steal only when it’s really necessary.
    My concern is a hand injury. I watch his face after every steal to see if he is grimacing in pain.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #992
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    6,045

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    My concern is a hand injury. I watch his face after every steal to see if he is grimacing in pain.
    He's getting between bases quick enough that sliding head first isn't really necessary, if it is really faster. I've always grimaced when guys go in that way ESPECIALLY, at the plate.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  4. #993
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11,435

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    I’m moreso wondering if Elly will be the first 50/50 guy

  5. Likes:

    Bourgeois Zee (07-12-2023),RiverfrontRed (07-12-2023)

  6. #994
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    24,454

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    He's getting between bases quick enough that sliding head first isn't really necessary, if it is really faster. I've always grimaced when guys go in that way ESPECIALLY, at the plate.
    I also worry about those head first slides but guys like O'Neil Cruz and our own Dave Concepcion got seriously injured sliding feet first so I don't know which is the safest

  7. #995
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,805

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Are you saying Iím not honest? Lol. When you project someone, you consider both their floor potential and their ceiling potential. I donít think 30 is his potential ceiling. Thatís 45-50.
    In this case, no, felt intellectually dishonest.

    Discussion about Elly's "floor" next season... seems a bit crazy to say he's at minimum going to hit 30 bombs next year. That's not a minimum. It's definitely possible, if he can start elevating more consistently and make more use out of high exit velocity, but presently, 30 homers would be on the mid/high end range of likely outcomes next year, than it is a floor.


    "I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

  8. Likes:

    RiverfrontRed (07-12-2023)

  9. #996
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,879

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    In this case, no, felt intellectually dishonest.

    Discussion about Elly's "floor" next season... seems a bit crazy to say he's at minimum going to hit 30 bombs next year. That's not a minimum. It's definitely possible, if he can start elevating more consistently and make more use out of high exit velocity, but presently, 30 homers would be on the mid/high end range of likely outcomes next year, than it is a floor.
    If Elly stays healthy, 30 HRs is absolutely his floor each season moving forward IMO.

  10. Likes:

    RiverfrontRed (07-12-2023)

  11. #997
    Probably not Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,805

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    With the majority of his season so far in AAA, he is on track for about 30, or a few less this season across two levels. Thats floor?


    "I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

  12. #998
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    56,384

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    He has averaged a HR every 25 PA's as a pro, so if he bats 625 times in MLB with that rate he'd have 25.

  13. #999
    Just a Fan RiverfrontRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    In this case, no, felt intellectually dishonest.

    Discussion about Elly's "floor" next season... seems a bit crazy to say he's at minimum going to hit 30 bombs next year. That's not a minimum. It's definitely possible, if he can start elevating more consistently and make more use out of high exit velocity, but presently, 30 homers would be on the mid/high end range of likely outcomes next year, than it is a floor.
    Okay, I will elaborate since you feel there's intellectual dishonesty happening. I'd consider his first full year - next year to likely be his floor. I do think he will hit 30 home runs next year - that's MY projection. As for his ceiling in the next 2-5 years, I think it's more 40-50. As far as POTENTIAL, the word you seem to have a problem with my usage, at this point both his floor and his ceiling are projections and based on potential. At this point, him hitting 5 career home runs is only potential, since he hasn't done it yet.

    Sorry, if my communication was lacking. I try to avoid making essays in my posts, so I don't always elaborate until it turns into discussion.

  14. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (07-12-2023),Revering4Blue (07-12-2023)

  15. #1000
    Member RustyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    596

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Defining floor gets into semantics. It seems like the approach of filling up the zone with offspeed has Elly on the back foot a little bit so far; the full count strikeouts early have turned into lots of ground balls and tentative swings as he’s amped up the aggressiveness. (The unicorn-ness lies in him posting all star numbers during what looks to me like an adjustment period)

    I’m biased and Major League Baseball is really hard, but he’s demonstrated too much aptitude along the way for me to believe he’s going to remain stuck in a hole for long. Whatever his floor is, I just think we’re gonna see an absolute laser show in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by RustyJ; 07-12-2023 at 03:31 PM.

  16. #1001
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Posts
    551

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Okay, I will elaborate since you feel there's intellectual dishonesty happening. I'd consider his first full year - next year to likely be his floor. I do think he will hit 30 home runs next year - that's MY projection. As for his ceiling in the next 2-5 years, I think it's more 40-50. As far as POTENTIAL, the word you seem to have a problem with my usage, at this point both his floor and his ceiling are projections and based on potential. At this point, him hitting 5 career home runs is only potential, since he hasn't done it yet.

    Sorry, if my communication was lacking. I try to avoid making essays in my posts, so I don't always elaborate until it turns into discussion.
    It doesn't seem like intellectual dishonesty, but I think you use the word floor differently than some people would. To me, his floor isn't the same as my projection for next year -- or for any year. His floor is the lowest number I think he might hit next year or any year.

    For instance, I won't disagree with your projection of 30 home runs next year if he keeps adapting well, but I also think a floor of maybe 22 is reasonable.

  17. #1002
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,482

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Elly's HR ceiling depends on if the Reds can bat someone behind him that'll get him pitches to hit. Every since he vaporized that up and in fastball by Syndergaard 90% of the pitches he's seen has been soft stuff down and away. Pitchers seem content to give him junk and see if they can get borderline strike calls or him to chase. I think he needs to commit to driving balls the other way in order to boost the HR total because I don't see many pitcher coming inside with anything other than down and in sliders.

  18. #1003
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,954

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Elly's HR ceiling depends on if the Reds can bat someone behind him that'll get him pitches to hit. Every since he vaporized that up and in fastball by Syndergaard 90% of the pitches he's seen has been soft stuff down and away. Pitchers seem content to give him junk and see if they can get borderline strike calls or him to chase. I think he needs to commit to driving balls the other way in order to boost the HR total because I don't see many pitcher coming inside with anything other than down and in sliders.
    With him I don't see it that way. There is no way he's going to get the Joey Votto treatment of not getting anything to hit because they have nobody behind him. He is not a player you want to walk. So he needs to force pitchers to give him pitches he can drill by not biting on pitches he can't hit.

  19. #1004
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,879

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    With the majority of his season so far in AAA, he is on track for about 30, or a few less this season across two levels. Thats floor?
    That's correct. He's 21. He will get better. Which is scary (for the Reds' opponents).

  20. Likes:

    RiverfrontRed (07-12-2023)

  21. #1005
    Just a Fan RiverfrontRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Welcome to The Show Elly De La Cruz!

    Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    It doesn't seem like intellectual dishonesty, but I think you use the word floor differently than some people would. To me, his floor isn't the same as my projection for next year -- or for any year. His floor is the lowest number I think he might hit next year or any year.

    For instance, I won't disagree with your projection of 30 home runs next year if he keeps adapting well, but I also think a floor of maybe 22 is reasonable.
    But whatever you think is his minimum or floor is still a projection based on potential since he hasn’t done it yet. That’s all I’m saying.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator