Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excited about this team for the first time in ages

Re: Excited about this team for the first time in ages

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder if Phil C will have the restraint not to say "I told you so" in the next couple of years? I wouldn't bet on it
    "I told you so" about what?

About how the Reds can't possibly compete in a small market like Cincinnati?

You know... What he actually meant by "where ya gonna go?"

Well it turns out that the Reds actually can compete in a small market, when ownership decides not to poop the bed every 5 minutes.

Imagine that...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Redsfaithful (06-09-2023),Ron Madden (06-09-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder if Phil C will have the restraint not to say "I told you so" in the next couple of years? I wouldn't bet on it
    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it either, and depending on how its worded he will come off as an ass again. Its one thing to say "I told you so", its another to say "I understand why fans were skeptical, thankfully the plan we put into action has worked out even better than we could have hoped for and look forward to keeping the momentum going"

Based upon prior commits, I have full belief if things work out we will get more of the former and less of the later. However, as long as they work out, I will be happy
    I have to confess that there is a significant part of me that wants the Reds to fail because I want Phil Castellini to fail. I do not want him to taste success in any endeavor, and I hope that he is a failure in life as well. I wish that I felt differently, because the Reds have been an important part of my life since I was about seven or eight years old. But that's where I am.

I feel badly about it, and I think that's why I have attempted (successfully, for the most part) to distance myself from the club this year. (The existence of the ghost runner and the DH in the National League -- both of which I loathe with the intensity of a thousand suns-- have made the separation easier.) I still miss it at times, but it gets easier each day.

As I've mentioned before, I think my fandom is broken.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (06-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    So you mean your give a damn is busted?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (06-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I have to confess that there is a significant part of me that wants the Reds to fail because I want Phil Castellini to fail. I do not want him to taste success in any endeavor, and I hope that he is a failure in life as well. I wish that I felt differently, because the Reds have been an important part of my life since I was about seven or eight years old. But that's where I am.

I feel badly about it, and I think that's why I have attempted (successfully, for the most part) to distance myself from the club this year. (The existence of the ghost runner and the DH in the National League -- both of which I loathe with the intensity of a thousand suns-- have made the separation easier.) I still miss it at times, but it gets easier each day.

Pretty much where I am with baseball(the ghost runner was the next to last straw for me) but I have not been able to separate myself from the Reds. I still follow their games. I couldn't tell you who leads the divisions, other than the NL Central. Baseball has lost me, maybe forever. I despise this ownership with the intensity of the star, Betelguese. I hope the apathy I have about baseball doesn't oneday grow to include the Reds. This ownership has done everything in its power to try and make that a possibility.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-09-2023 at 03:03 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Just when I thought I was out....

I hate you MWM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

10. Likes:

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I famously tried to quit this team years ago. Didn't take, and I'm still here. Anyway, a big reason for my attempt was that the Frazier, Cueto, and Chapman trades were big duds. It was like the team wasn't trying to maximize returns. Fast forward 7 years and the Reds sell off again. This time, though, they did target higher end prospects. That's exciting. Combined with the young players who have and still have to arrive, and the excitement builds. Now with Elly, it's palpable. I'm so glad this is my team now. I'm very entertained.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

Powder River (06-11-2023),Ron Madden (06-09-2023),Roy Tucker (06-09-2023),Tom Servo (06-10-2023)

I've been following the Reds since 75.

I am also a Vikings and Suns fan since 73.

The Reds are the only team that has gone all the way for me. I don't really like any of the leagues like I did as a kid,(though the nfl is growing on me again) but the teams are part of my biology at this point....

Baseball is the hardest to suffer through when the team blows, due to the length of the season and how early you can be out of it some years...but with the world the way that it is right now, I'm pleased to have the Reds be so interesting and entertaining.

14. Likes:

Powder River (06-11-2023),Red Soup (06-09-2023),Ron Madden (06-09-2023)

Believing that an exciting few games means sustained future success is just pure exuberance with no grasp of reality. This team could become great, they could be basement dwellers for a decade. I’d place way more money on the second outcome.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

16. Likes:

Very Optimistic about the Team! Nice having a Good Young Team that is aggressive on the basepaths and can hit. The rookies are performing well with more on the way. Playoffs are reachable THIS YEAR!
    The Stop And Chat

18. Likes:

goreds2 (06-10-2023),Powder River (06-11-2023),Ron Madden (06-10-2023)

I love the team, but we need to trade a couple of the young studs for more starting pitching. I wish we had Miley, Gray and Castillo. Oh well. Maybe they will sign a good to great starter in the offseason.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000616334604

A good 10-15 minutes spent on the Reds early in this podcast. Keith Law speaks rather glowingly of what is going on. He also mentions he hears the Reds could have gotten Bryce Miller rather than Williamson from the Mariners. I think Miller is a bit of fools gold but I sure wish he had been the return. Oh well certainly not a grievous error.

21. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-10-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've said it before in other threads: I'm very impressed at how prepared these kids are to compete at the major league level. Andrew Abbott proving that out today.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-11-2023),Powder River (06-11-2023),Red Oak (06-10-2023),Ron Madden (06-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000616334604

A good 10-15 minutes spent on the Reds early in this podcast. Keith Law speaks rather glowingly of what is going on. He also mentions he hears the Reds could have gotten Bryce Miller rather than Williamson from the Mariners. I think Miller is a bit of fools gold but I sure wish he had been the return. Oh well certainly not a grievous error.
    thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

25. Likes:

kaldaniels (06-10-2023)

If you would have told me last April things would be where they are now I wouldnt have believed it. I think the front office deserves some props. Our development staff deserves kudos too.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

27. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-11-2023),Powder River (06-11-2023),Red Oak (06-11-2023),Ron Madden (06-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    If you would have told me last April things would be where they are now I wouldnt have believed it. I think the front office deserves some props. Our development staff deserves kudos too.
    Now imagine where they’d be with Gray in the rotation or another starter. .460 ball beats .360 ball, but come on.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

29. Likes:

DGullett35 (06-11-2023)

Turn Off Ads?