Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Slobberknocker Trade Ideas

Re: Slobberknocker Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It’s for two months of Ohtani. That is way more than what the Reds got for two months of Castillo.

I don’t think it’s worth it, since the Reds wouldn’t even be assured to make the playoffs if they got Ohtani.
    Didn't Castillo have a year and a half at the time of the trade? Makes your point even stronger.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Didn't Castillo have a year and a half at the time of the trade? Makes your point even stronger.
    My bad, you are correct, and it does make your point stronger.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Evan as an obvious rental? Probably right and I'd be willing to do some more. But I don't think it's terribly off value-wise. Maybe one more quality prospect the Reds have to add.
    The Padres just emptied their farm for a year of Soto. Ohtani is significantly better than Soto. Everyone gets is a rental but the angels are going to be auctioning him off with at least 15 teams heavily interested. You have to figure the Yankees and dodgers are going to be heavily in play.

- - - Updated - - -

Castillo is not remotely as valuable as Ohtani
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

mth123 (06-08-2023),Tom Servo (06-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Padres just empties their farm for a year of Soto. Ohtani is significantly better than Soto. Everyone gets is a rental but the angels are going to be auctioning him off with at least 15 teams heavily interested. You have to figure the Yankees and dodgers are going to be heavily in play.
    The last part is true, and I'll give you that. As for Soto, he was signed for a year and a half (like Castillo) at the time he was dealt, and the Padres "overpaid" with the idea that they would very likely be signing him for the long term. This is a case where Ohtani is almost definitely hitting free agency in just a couple months, so the Reds would (very arguably) not have to pay nearly as much as a rental that could be viewed as a "trade and extend" candidate. Cueto when he was dealt to KC, or Randy Johnson to Houston or David Price to Toronto are probably better comps for an Ohtani rental trade than the Soto deal, although Ohtani's bat obviously carries more value than the aforementioned pitchers.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2023 at 05:50 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Padres get two and a half years of Soto. I think an Ohtani rental would have to be at least a top 10 and a top 20, but my guess is the Angels don't trade him in hopes of resigning him.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Padres just emptied their farm for a year of Soto. Ohtani is significantly better than Soto. Everyone gets is a rental but the angels are going to be auctioning him off with at least 15 teams heavily interested. You have to figure the Yankees and dodgers are going to be heavily in play.

- - - Updated - - -

Castillo is not remotely as valuable as Ohtani
    It was 2.5 years. Half of last year. This year and next.

Maybe not a slobberknocker, but is there a Sonny Grey out there to buy low and take a chance on? The Reds do really well with those kind of mid-level trades.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 06-09-2023 at 08:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Padres get two and a half years of Soto. I think an Ohtani rental would have to be at least a top 10 and a top 20, but my guess is the Angels don't trade him in hopes of resigning him.
    The Angels aren't trading Ohtani, because like most teams, they are well situated for a playoff run this year. First time since they signed him, so there would be a fan mutiny if they traded him now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I know this is a slobberknocker thread but I have no interest in big ticket rentals. This team just isn’t there.

I love the idea of acquiring a SP and RP with a few years of control even if they aren’t a lock for the playoffs. This team is ready to compete; give these guys a taste of the chase and they’ll be ready for bigger things next season.

14. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2023),CaiGuy (06-09-2023),HammerTime (06-13-2023),Old school 1983 (06-08-2023),Powder River (06-09-2023),Revering4Blue (06-08-2023),Wonderful Monds (06-08-2023),WrongVerb (06-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I know this is a slobberknocker thread but I have no interest in big ticket rentals. This team just isn’t there.

I love the idea of acquiring a SP and RP with a few years of control even if they aren’t a lock for the playoffs. This team is ready to compete; give these guys a taste of the chase and they’ll be ready for bigger things next season.
    Unless the Reds go on a winning steak and are in or near being in the drivers seat for the central, I want no part of rentals. The Reds have a huge war chest going into the off-season. Use that then. If the staff of kids get you into the playoffs I’d but Greene and a healthy Lodolo up against anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

Strong agree.

Here's the way I see it. To be not just contenders but multi-year contenders, the Reds need:

1. Continued development of the rookie and young core
    2. Health, especially among starters
    3. A thumper-type bat
    4. At least one more quality everyday lefty bat
    5. Two innings-capable starters
    6. Two serviceable-to-good relievers.
    7. Consistent catching

That's not much. The team is close. CES could be the thumper (or Marte); Benson could be the additional lefty bat; the catching combo could elevate a bit (mostly Stephenson); Williamson or Phillips or others could fill out the rotation.

BUT it is more than they can pull together this year, especially since they already are in a hole both in record and in rotation quality.

See how the year shakes out, figure out which guys are the best long-termers, offer pre-arb extensions liberally to the new core.

Then deal for whatever needs did not get filled by player development from within. (Personally, I love the team's growing positional flexibility and the potential of platoon-heavy outfield.)

Then trade for whatever needs are left.

17. Likes:

757690 (06-11-2023),bucksfan (06-08-2023),goreds2 (06-09-2023),Powder River (06-09-2023),Revering4Blue (06-08-2023),Roy Tucker (06-17-2023)

I think it's time to put Senzel, Newman, and Myers (once he comes back) on the trade block.

Target the best AAA or MLB pitching, starting or relief. Get the absolute best you can right now for Newman and Myers, and hope that someone overpays for Senzel's post-hype breakout. He's still a top 3 overall pick with a couple years of team control, and his momentum is positive this year for the first time since he was called up. None of these guys have a future with this team with the emergence of Elly, McLain, Friedl and Benson, and Marte and CES waiting in the wings. Newman is having a "career year." Let's cash it in, Tyler Naquin style.
    Go BLUE!!!

19. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-11-2023)

I think it's time to put Senzel, Newman, and Myers (once he comes back) on the trade block.

Target the best AAA or MLB pitching, starting or relief. Get the absolute best you can right now for Newman and Myers, and hope that someone overpays for Senzel's post-hype breakout. He's still a top 3 overall pick with a couple years of team control, and his momentum is positive this year for the first time since he was called up. None of these guys have a future with this team with the emergence of Elly, McLain, Friedl and Benson, and Marte and CES waiting in the wings. Newman is having a "career year." Let's cash it in, Tyler Naquin style.
    I'm guessing the best you can hope for out of that trio is a AAAA 5th starter or a lottery ticket in Arizona or Florida.

I'm all for clearing dreck so that youngsters might be given all the time they need, but it's not to acquire talent-- it's to let the talent you have play now.

21. Likes:

JCM11 (06-11-2023),MoneyInTheBank (06-11-2023),mth123 (06-11-2023),Revering4Blue (06-11-2023)

I agree I think we need to open up playing time for the young guys while trying to acquire pieces for the 2024 season, for me a trade that works for both teams is this:

Reds trade: Nick Senzel 3b/OF

Royals trade: Taylor Clarke RHRP isnt a FA until 2026, becomes a nice middle reliever in the pen

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I might keep Newman around, but yeah, all three are definite trade candidates.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

IKnowNothing (06-25-2023)

Turn Off Ads?