Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

Reds sign Rhett Lowder

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...tt-lowder.html

1st top 10 pick to sign. Just below slot value.

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-15-2023),cumberlandreds (07-24-2023),Gallen5862 (07-15-2023),NDRed (07-15-2023),SirFelixCat (07-15-2023),Tom Servo (07-15-2023),Tuff Nut (07-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

500k below slot value may be helpful.

So do Reds shut him down rest of year?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

I'd give him @ 20 innings at Dayton to get his feet wet then shut him down til 24. 500k in savings will go towards securing the HS pick in rd 4 is my bet.

Send him to Dayton and promote Acuna or Aguiar. They are still controlling Petty's innings and they are controlling Richardson's innings at AA. I think having two in the same rotation might be hard to manage, so promote one of the other guys. Maybe Thomas Farr should be promoted since he's a little older.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Send him to Dayton and promote Acuna or Aguiar. They are still controlling Petty's innings and they are controlling Richardson's innings at AA. I think having two in the same rotation might be hard to manage, so promote one of the other guys. Maybe Thomas Farr should be promoted since he's a little older.
    Lowder to Dayton would be a nice tip of the hat to that franchise.

I'd love to see the Dragons add some offense. They're seriously lacking in anything resembling an above average bat at the moment.

I'm shocked (and wrong,) that the Reds were able to sign Lowder below slot. He was mocked from #6-#9 in pretty much every draft.

We will never know, but in the end, he got approximately #9 slot value. Most mocks had Lowder's floor at #9 to Colorado. Now in hindsight, maybe Krall went in and said, do you want to pitch for Cincinnati or Colorado? (As Colorado was mocked for a SP by everyone.) We'll give you #9 slot money, but you get to pitch in Cincy instead of Colorado. A win-win for all parties involved as pitching in Colorado usually doesn't work out well for pitchers. A win for the Reds as that money savings will help to sign their prep players.

(Also doesn't hurt that Cincy is winning this year-- Colorado is a dumpster fire, and Lowder grew up outside Charlotte and Cincy is closer to home.)

9. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-15-2023),JCM11 (07-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    I'm shocked (and wrong,) that the Reds were able to sign Lowder below slot. He was mocked from #6-#9 in pretty much every draft.

We will never know, but in the end, he got approximately #9 slot value. Most mocks had Lowder's floor at #9 to Colorado. Now in hindsight, maybe Krall went in and said, do you want to pitch for Cincinnati or Colorado? (As Colorado was mocked for a SP by everyone.) We'll give you #9 slot money, but you get to pitch in Cincy instead of Colorado. A win-win for all parties involved as pitching in Colorado usually doesn't work out well for pitchers. A win for the Reds as that money savings will help to sign their prep players.

(Also doesn't hurt that Cincy is winning this year-- Colorado is a dumpster fire, and Lowder grew up outside Charlotte and Cincy is closer to home.)
    I always question the bargaining power of college juniors anyways. I mean yes they can say no and go back to school another year where they get to sign for pennies on the dollar coming in as a senior with no options.

But do they really want to risk that for a year where maybe they'll go up from #9 slot money? There's a lot to lose too, just for $500k.

Is Lowder dead? I haven’t heard a word about him since he signed. I keep seeing highlights of everyone else’s top picks doing exciting things in games and not a peep about Lowder.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is Lowder dead? I haven’t heard a word about him since he signed. I keep seeing highlights of everyone else’s top picks doing exciting things in games and not a peep about Lowder.
    Did you expect to see him pitch this year? If so, not sure why.

He hadn't pitched in 3 weeks when the draft occurred and was coming off a career year for IP total.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Did you expect to see him pitch this year? If so, not sure why.

He hadn't pitched in 3 weeks when the draft occurred and was coming off a career year for IP total.
    I thought he might see some time in instructs, yes. Has it been reported he’s shut down for the season?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Skenes and Dollander haven't pitched either.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-09-2023)

Posters writing how some of these draft picks could help the sane year confuses me. They never do. They never allow it. They shut them down.

Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.

Yes. He wasn’t bad at first. Then his control just ended him from what I recall.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Not a Red, but Garrett Crochet was called up by the White Sox the same year he was drafted. It does happen, but it is quite rare.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?