Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

  1. #1
    Member redsfan9988's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,833

    Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...tt-lowder.html

    1st top 10 pick to sign. Just below slot value.

  2. Likes:

    camisadelgolf (07-15-2023),cumberlandreds (07-24-2023),Gallen5862 (07-15-2023),NDRed (07-15-2023),SirFelixCat (07-15-2023),Tom Servo (07-15-2023),Tuff Nut (07-15-2023)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member NDRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mesquite, NV
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    500k below slot value may be helpful.

    So do Reds shut him down rest of year?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

  5. #3
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    1,485

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    I'd give him @ 20 innings at Dayton to get his feet wet then shut him down til 24. 500k in savings will go towards securing the HS pick in rd 4 is my bet.

  6. #4
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    32,819

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Send him to Dayton and promote Acuna or Aguiar. They are still controlling Petty's innings and they are controlling Richardson's innings at AA. I think having two in the same rotation might be hard to manage, so promote one of the other guys. Maybe Thomas Farr should be promoted since he's a little older.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

  7. #5
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,562

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Send him to Dayton and promote Acuna or Aguiar. They are still controlling Petty's innings and they are controlling Richardson's innings at AA. I think having two in the same rotation might be hard to manage, so promote one of the other guys. Maybe Thomas Farr should be promoted since he's a little older.
    Lowder to Dayton would be a nice tip of the hat to that franchise.

    I'd love to see the Dragons add some offense. They're seriously lacking in anything resembling an above average bat at the moment.

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    357

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    I'm shocked (and wrong,) that the Reds were able to sign Lowder below slot. He was mocked from #6-#9 in pretty much every draft.

    We will never know, but in the end, he got approximately #9 slot value. Most mocks had Lowder's floor at #9 to Colorado. Now in hindsight, maybe Krall went in and said, do you want to pitch for Cincinnati or Colorado? (As Colorado was mocked for a SP by everyone.) We'll give you #9 slot money, but you get to pitch in Cincy instead of Colorado. A win-win for all parties involved as pitching in Colorado usually doesn't work out well for pitchers. A win for the Reds as that money savings will help to sign their prep players.

    (Also doesn't hurt that Cincy is winning this year-- Colorado is a dumpster fire, and Lowder grew up outside Charlotte and Cincy is closer to home.)

  9. Likes:

    Gallen5862 (07-15-2023),JCM11 (07-15-2023)

  10. #7
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,894

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    I'm shocked (and wrong,) that the Reds were able to sign Lowder below slot. He was mocked from #6-#9 in pretty much every draft.

    We will never know, but in the end, he got approximately #9 slot value. Most mocks had Lowder's floor at #9 to Colorado. Now in hindsight, maybe Krall went in and said, do you want to pitch for Cincinnati or Colorado? (As Colorado was mocked for a SP by everyone.) We'll give you #9 slot money, but you get to pitch in Cincy instead of Colorado. A win-win for all parties involved as pitching in Colorado usually doesn't work out well for pitchers. A win for the Reds as that money savings will help to sign their prep players.

    (Also doesn't hurt that Cincy is winning this year-- Colorado is a dumpster fire, and Lowder grew up outside Charlotte and Cincy is closer to home.)
    I always question the bargaining power of college juniors anyways. I mean yes they can say no and go back to school another year where they get to sign for pennies on the dollar coming in as a senior with no options.

    But do they really want to risk that for a year where maybe they'll go up from #9 slot money? There's a lot to lose too, just for $500k.

  11. #8
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    21,230

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Is Lowder dead? I haven’t heard a word about him since he signed. I keep seeing highlights of everyone else’s top picks doing exciting things in games and not a peep about Lowder.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  12. #9
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6,000

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is Lowder dead? I haven’t heard a word about him since he signed. I keep seeing highlights of everyone else’s top picks doing exciting things in games and not a peep about Lowder.
    Did you expect to see him pitch this year? If so, not sure why.

    He hadn't pitched in 3 weeks when the draft occurred and was coming off a career year for IP total.

  13. #10
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    21,230

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Did you expect to see him pitch this year? If so, not sure why.

    He hadn't pitched in 3 weeks when the draft occurred and was coming off a career year for IP total.
    I thought he might see some time in instructs, yes. Has it been reported he’s shut down for the season?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  14. #11
    Member podgejeff_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,894

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is Lowder dead? I haven’t heard a word about him since he signed. I keep seeing highlights of everyone else’s top picks doing exciting things in games and not a peep about Lowder.
    Skenes and Dollander haven't pitched either.

  15. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (08-09-2023)

  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    10,419

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Posters writing how some of these draft picks could help the sane year confuses me. They never do. They never allow it. They shut them down.

  17. #13
    Member Z-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,692

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

  18. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    10,419

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.

    Yes. He wasn’t bad at first. Then his control just ended him from what I recall.

  19. #15
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    18,572

    Re: Reds sign Rhett Lowder

    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Didn't Ryan Wagner come up the same year? That's the only one I could think of, and not a great example either.
    Not a Red, but Garrett Crochet was called up by the White Sox the same year he was drafted. It does happen, but it is quite rare.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator